Re: Duncan family tree

  • bty20501509
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
      Book a session with Peterhead registrar (£10 for 1 hour).You will get
      all the lair numbers and which graveyard also exact contents of lair
      which is surprising sometimes!Also you can get copies of all records as
      well as searching OPR and SI database for birth/marriage/death.
      Records printed cost 50p per copy.
      They are extremely pleasant and helpful-was in there yesterday!

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Dee" <mysticheartuk@...> wrote:

      > I am researching the family of my grandfather William Duncan and have
      > managed to reseach back to C. 1800, I know that his mothers family
      > (Roger) moved into Peterhead around the 1850's and his fathers family
      > (Duncan) lived there as far back as I have researched. On the census's
      > they are listed as fishermen and fishermens wives. I recently visited
      > Peterhead to find the graves of the people I have found, my partner
      > and I searched all 4 graveyards and found no evidence of any of the
      > members of my family. Does anyone on here know of another line of
      > inquiry I could follow. I know from conversations with my nan that my
      > grandads mother Isabella (roger) Duncan died around 1960 in peterhead
      > she lived all her life around Longate/Seagate/Crooked Lane. and yet I
      > even found no evidence of her (could she have been cremated)
      > I would greatly appreciate any ideas from anyone!!
      >
      > Donna Duncan

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
        Donna,

        The name William Duncan sounded familiar to me, so I checked my data
        and found that a William Duncan drowned off Peterhead in May 1877, at
        the same time as my great-grandfather Matthew Nicol. I have no idea if
        the is part of your family, but if he is, it would explain the absence
        of one of the graves you were looking for. The three men were lost at
        sea, and their bodies never found. I have copied below one of the
        newspaper reports of the incident. Please let me know if you think
        this William Duncan is related to you - if he is, I can send you more
        newspaper reports, and the register entries of the three deaths.

        Also, I checked the the St Peters Churchyard CD, and it lists 22
        Duncans. I know the care taken by the people who do these
        transcriptions. They transcribe as much as possible, even from very
        worn gravestones. It is easy to miss inscriptions when searching by
        walking around the graveyard, so it might be worth your while getting
        hold of the CD and having a look there.

        I too have been searching for the graves of several ancestors, and
        have been puzzled by being unable to find them. I am told that many
        poorer people (which could include some fisherfolk) could not afford a
        stone. You need to look at the lair records to find out who was buried
        where. I was told that I could find these at Arbuthnot House in
        Peterhead, but you need to make an appointment in advance. In
        September this year, I went there without an appointment, and they
        were too busy to help me.

        Mary Barnes

        From the East Aberdeenshire Observer, Friday May 11, 1877.

        Melancholy Boat Accident — Three Lives Lost.—A melancholy boat
        accident, resulting in the loss of three lives, occurred on Monday
        afternoon. The arrival of one or two vessels at Peterhead were
        expected that day, and in order to get an earlier view of them as they
        approached from the South, Matthew Nicol, pilot; William Duncan,
        seaman; and John Suttar Strachan, son of Geo. Strachan, master of the
        steam tug Pride o’ Scotland, proceeded in a boat to Boddam. Having
        remained there for a short time and taken refreshments they again went
        to sea to pilot any vessel to the harbour which might require their
        services. They were never again seen alive, and in the evening a
        Burnhaven crew who had been at the haddock fishing found the boat, in
        which the unfortunate men had sailed, lying on its broadside and the
        occupants nowhere to be seen. The boat was towed into Boddam. It is
        supposed that it had been upset by a sudden squall as when found the
        sail was set and the sheet fast. Several boats have since been out in
        the vicinity where it is supposed that the boat has been swamped, but
        none of the bodies have yet been seen, and there can be no doubt that
        the tide has carried them southwards.

        Matthew Nicol, who was 66 years of age, leaves a wife and nine of a
        family, most of whom are grown up. He was a native of Berwick, but
        for many years was master and part owner of several trading vessels,
        and latterly he owned a herring curing establishment in Peterhead.
        William Duncan, who was 58 years of age, was a seaman, and for many
        years sailed in the schooner Jane of Peterhead. He leaves a wife and
        four of a family. Strachan used to sail with his father, but on
        Monday he chanced to stop on shore and by accident accompanied Nicol
        and Duncan into the boat to Boddam. Much sympathy is felt for the
        relations of the drowned men.

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • bty20501509
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
          Mary,
          Strangely enough I was discussing the page with William Duncan
          on it with the registrar on Thursday.Her opinion was that none of the
          bodies had ever been found or if found could not be identified.This
          was because there is no cause of death entered and no corrections
          entered at the side or as corrective entry note (the script on the
          left hand side is just the registrar initialling a small mistake).Do
          you any proof from your side bodies were never found. William Duncan
          is my ggg grandfather.I have the report below from the local library
          but would be grateful for any other reports on the event.

          Re lairs the registrar is certainly the key because in my own case I
          have a mixture of 4 generations over 119 years in 1 lair (14 burials -
          must be some sort of record).Gravestone inscription only covers 8 of
          them.I got a copy of the lairs entries but had to photograph it as it
          wont scan for D134,135 and D136 (which I think contains Donna
          interests)All Duncan's or relatives of.

          Have sent Donna an email as I cant post photo on here, Might try see
          if I can post them on photo section

          Rgds George Duncan