Margaret Stephen

  • allan344789
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2008
      Hi everyone,
      I'm trying to find out what became of a Margaret Stephen , who gave
      birth to my Gr Gr grandfather Alexander Kinghorn in 1812 in Old Deer.
      She was an unmarried domestic servant in Auchenmachar and accused Adam
      Kinghorn in Longside as the father. He denied it , but was later
      brought before the Kirk Session charged with a Trilapse of fornication.
      I think that 3 women had a child to him before he married a Jane
      Cocker, and had a large family with her around Strichen.
      Alexander Kinghorn first appears in the 1841 Census in Peterhead with
      his wife Christian Middleton.
      I would love to know where he was brought up and what became of his
      mother.

      Any suggestions anyone?
      Eileen Harrop
    • Anne Allan
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2008
        Eileen

        I have Kinghorns in my tree, married into my Aitkens, a bit later than
        your dates.
        John Kinghorn b 1822 at Longside, married Margaret Aitken (b 1824 Peterhead)
        They married in 1843, had 9 children (including an Adam) and both died
        at Old Deer.
        So far I have not researched this branch of the family.

        Anne

        allan344789 wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        > I'm trying to find out what became of a Margaret Stephen , who gave
        > birth to my Gr Gr grandfather Alexander Kinghorn in 1812 in Old Deer.
        > She was an unmarried domestic servant in Auchenmachar and accused Adam
        > Kinghorn in Longside as the father. He denied it , but was later
        > brought before the Kirk Session charged with a Trilapse of fornication.
        > I think that 3 women had a child to him before he married a Jane
        > Cocker, and had a large family with her around Strichen.
        > Alexander Kinghorn first appears in the 1841 Census in Peterhead with
        > his wife Christian Middleton.
        > I would love to know where he was brought up and what became of his
        > mother.
        >
        > Any suggestions anyone?
        > Eileen Harrop

      • ALLAN HARROP
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi Anne,

          John was the son of Adam and Jane Cocker.

          I have collected a huge amount of information about all Aberdeenshire Kinghorns over the years.

          Please let me know if you have any gaps to be filled in.

          Regards