Street Directories

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2008
      Hello,

      Would anyone here have a Peterhead directory from the early
      70's? I'm trying to trace a surname and am hoping that a street
      directory would fill in the blanks for me ?

      Deb xx
    • ALISON KENNEDY
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2008
        Hi Debbie,

        Are you looking for a Peterhead street directory for 1970's or 1870's or earlier?

        Alison

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2008
          Hi Alison.

          Sorry I meant to say 1970's.

          Debs

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, ALISON KENNEDY <alison2kennedy@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Debbie,
          >
          > Are you looking for a Peterhead street directory for 1970's or
          1870's or earlier?

          > Alison

        • ALISON KENNEDY
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2008
            Hi Debbie,

            I might be wrong but I can't remember there being street directories for this timeframe.  Ancestry have British phone book data for 1880 - 1984 which, depending on the information you are looking for, may be of some assistance.

            Alison

            > Are you looking for a Peterhead street directory for 1970's or
            1870's or earlier?

            > Alison

          • Debbie
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
              Thanks Alison, But it's actually a surname I'm trying to find out.
              When I lived in NOrth Lane there were 2 old ladies lived across from
              me called Jess and Belle and I have no record of their surname. I left
              North Lane approx 1976.

              Debs
            • Henderson, Roy
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
                Hi Debbie,

                If you can give a little more information about Jess and Belle then
                there may be people on this list who might recognise them ... did they
                live at the same address, were they single, married or widowed, any idea
                what they did for a living, any family or children ...

                Regards,

                Roy

                ________________________________

                Thanks Alison, But it's actually a surname I'm trying to find out.
                When I lived in NOrth Lane there were 2 old ladies lived across from
                me called Jess and Belle and I have no record of their surname. I left
                North Lane approx 1976.

                Debs

                ===============================
                CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

                of this communication or message.

              • margiedavidson@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
                  Debs,

                  This probably won't help in the slighest but most of North Lane was
                  Buchan, Milne, Bruce and Strachan. My project for the Family History
                  Society is to attempt to sort out the Tnames from a badly damaged
                  chart giving the Tnames as at 1920. There are Tadders( Buchan) Bathies
                  (Buchan) and Dogger's Peg Leal. Tammickie Milne, Betty Forrie and I
                  think there is a Jackie and Bella Fletcher but I would need that
                  checked out as the writing is almost illegible but every little clue
                  helps with this project so maybe you can help me fill in the gaps
                  along the way! Give me an idea where they lived and I'll try to help.

                  For instance- did they live on the upside of the lane- The one
                  furthest away from the harbour or the down side. Once I have that,
                  which house, as I have some of them numbered.
                  So far I think- 1. was Barbara Buchan and Robert Bruce, 2 was Jessie
                  Ann Buchan - John Bruce Buchan and Sena Buchan. 3 Jeannie Slater and
                  Andrew Bathie.
                  Remember this is 1920 but many of the families still own the houses
                  although now with a much younger generation but possibly the names
                  will be repeated.
                  Unless anyone can be more specific I'll will find the information if
                  you give me an idea of which house! Try being the operative word.
                  However should anyone else on the list manage to contribute in any way
                  with the T names from Buchanhaven I will be delighted to hear from you.

                  I am also working on the Roanheads but it is a bit easier and ALMOST
                  complete,

                  Margie
                  Margie
                • Anne Allan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
                    Debbie

                    The information you are looking for can best be found by looking at the
                    electoral register for Peterhead, for any year around that time. The
                    ward is probably called Roanheads or Buchanhaven. These registers are
                    held at the Aberdeen Archives in Dunbar Street, Aberdeen. Unfortunately
                    they are not available online. They are open Monday - Wednesday and can
                    be reached on 01224 481775. North Lane is such a small street they
                    should be easy enough to find.

                    Anne
                    FHSB

                    Debbie wrote:

                    > Thanks Alison, But it's actually a surname I'm trying to find out.
                    > When I lived in NOrth Lane there were 2 old ladies lived across from
                    > me called Jess and Belle and I have no record of their surname. I left
                    > North Lane approx 1976.
                    >
                    > Debs

                  • Debbie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                      Thank you all for your info.

                      An extremely kind member emailed me with the details yesterday that I
                      had been seeking, Thank you.

                      Debs