Re: [Peterhead] Newspaper Reports

  • Marie Cooper
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
      Newspapers for Peterhead around the 1841 - 1850 period. I am seeking the a member of the
      Florence family lving in 1841 in Peterhead to be lost for the period between that date and turning up in Australia 1852.

      I wonder are articles of news around that period itemised or Indexed? Would really appreciate any help from the Peterhead list.

      Marie

    • ALISON KENNEDY
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
        Marie

        There were no local newspapers for Peterhead within your time-frame.  There were other newspapers but mostly Aberdeen City based and there was very little content in them relating to the smaller towns or villages of the 'shire' unless some disaster had struck.

        People (or families) emigrating were not usually mentioned in newspapers unless a person was a local dignitary of some kind.

        Alison

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 23, 2008
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Marie Cooper" <minbalup@...> wrote:

          > Newspapers for Peterhead around the 1841 - 1850 period. I am
          seeking the a member of the
          > Florence family lving in 1841 in Peterhead to be lost for the period
          between that date and turning up in Australia 1852.

          > I wonder are articles of news around that period itemised or
          Indexed? Would really appreciate any help from the Peterhead list.

          > Marie
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

          Which particular member are you looking for? Most of them still appear
          (plus a few extras)at Peterhead in 1851.

          Regards,
          Nel
        • Pauline Cordiner
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
            Hi Alison,Alexander's wife was Mary Janet Cordiner (her maiden name also!)She died on 15 April 1898 at Aberdeen Royal Lunatic Asylum at which point Alexander was still alive.I've tried looking through the papers at the Central Library, but never got far...

            Regards,
            Pauline

            2a.

            Re: Newspaper Reports

            Posted by: "ALISON KENNEDY"
            alison2kennedy@...

            alison501012

            Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:40 pm (PDT)

            Pauline

            Unfortunately neither of the old editions of the Aberdeen Journal or
            the Buchan Observer are available on-line. If you live in Aberdeen you
            can however access them at the Central Library, Rosemount Viaduct, but
            without knowing a date for the death of your g-grandfather then you are
            literally looking for a needle in a haystack as it can take a long time
            to get through a years' worth of newspapers.

            What was the name of Alexander Cordiner's wife?

            Alison

            Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:02:12 +0000

            From: Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com

            To: Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com

            Subject: [Peterhead] Digest Number 1681

            This mailing list is available to anyone with an interest or researching ancestors from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Th

            This mailing list is available to anyone with an interest or researching ancestors from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Th

            Messages In This Digest (7

            Messages)