Re: [Peterhead] Newspaper Reports

  • ALISON KENNEDY
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
      Pauline

      Unfortunately neither of the old editions of the Aberdeen Journal or the Buchan Observer are available on-line.  If you live in Aberdeen you can however access them at the Central Library, Rosemount Viaduct, but without knowing a date for the death of your g-grandfather then you are literally looking for a needle in a haystack as it can take a long time to get through a years' worth of newspapers.

      What was the name of Alexander Cordiner's wife?

      Alison

      Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:02:12 +0000
      From: Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com
      To: Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com
      Subject: [Peterhead] Digest Number 1681

      This mailing list is available to anyone with an interest or researching ancestors from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Th

      This mailing list is available to anyone with an interest or researching ancestors from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Th

      Messages In This Digest (7
      Messages)

      1a.

      Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      v11buk
      1b.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      Henderson, Roy
      1c.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      scotnel4
      1d.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      v11buk
      1e.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      v11buk

      2a.

      Re: James Will
      From:
      Debbie

      3.

      searching for details on the death of my grandfathers brother
      From:
      fio reid

      View All Topics | Create New Topic

      Messages

      1a.

      Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "v11buk"
      vivbuck@aol. com

      v11buk

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 am (PDT)

      I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897. She

      was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).

      So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James

      ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.

      From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to

      David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.

      Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local

      newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies

      be still available?

      Regards

      Viv

      Dorset-England

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      1b.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "Henderson, Roy"
      roy.henderson@ eu.weatherford. com

      roy_henderson_ 1955

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:29 am (PDT)

      Hi Viv,

      If the suicide happened in the Peterhead area, then it would almost

      certainly have been mentioned in The Buchan Observer. This is available

      (to view) on microfilm at the local library. If you were able to provide

      a date of death then perhaps someone might check the microfilm close to

      that date.

      Roy

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897. She

      was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).

      So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James

      ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.

      From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to

      David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.

      Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local

      newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies

      be still available?

      Regards

      Viv

      Dorset-England

      ============ ========= ========= =

      CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

      of this communication or message.

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      1c.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "scotnel4"
      NelMit4@aol. com

      scotnel4

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am (PDT)

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com, "v11buk" <vivbuck@... > wrote:

      > I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897.

      She

      > was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).

      > So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James

      > ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.

      > From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to

      > David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.

      > Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local

      > newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies

      > be still available?

      > Regards

      > Viv

      > Dorset-England

      Hello Viv,

      Didn't find anything about the drowning, but there was this, in the

      Aberdeen Journal on Saturday 13th November 1897. I'm pretty sure NAS

      would have a copy of the inquest.

      'The Drowning Fatality - Yesterday Mr Wilson, procurator fiscal held a

      formal inquiry into the death of Mary Ann Buchanan, fishworker,

      Seagate, which took place on Tuesday last as the effects of an

      immersion in Port Henry Harbour. Half a dozen witnesses were examined.'

      >Regards,

      Nel

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      1d.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "v11buk"
      vivbuck@aol. com

      v11buk

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:58 pm (PDT)

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com, "Henderson, Roy"

      <roy.henderson@ ...> wrote:

      > Hi Viv,

      > If the suicide happened in the Peterhead area, then it would almost

      > certainly have been mentioned in The Buchan Observer. This is

      available

      > (to view) on microfilm at the local library. If you were able to

      provide

      > a date of death then perhaps someone might check the microfilm

      close to

      > that date.

      > Roy

      Hi Roy.

      Many thanks for your reply.

      Mary Ann BUCHAN died on 9 November 1897. From her death certificate

      her address was given as Seagate Place, Peterhead.

      Nel has kindly looked in the Aberdeen Journal and found that it was

      reported that Mary Ann drowned in Port Henry Harbour.

      If somebody could search the microfilm for the Buchan Observer to see

      if there is any more information I would be very grateful.

      Regards

      Viv

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      1e.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "v11buk"
      vivbuck@aol. com

      v11buk

      Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 am (PDT)

      Hi Nel

      Many thanks for your quick reply and information.

      As to a copy of the inquest - would that mean a visit to NAS ?

      Regards

      Viv

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com, "scotnel4" <NelMit4@... > wrote:

      > Hello Viv,

      > Didn't find anything about the drowning, but there was this, in the

      > Aberdeen Journal on Saturday 13th November 1897. I'm pretty sure

      NAS

      > would have a copy of the inquest.

      > 'The Drowning Fatality - Yesterday Mr Wilson, procurator fiscal

      held a

      > formal inquiry into the death of Mary Ann Buchanan, fishworker,

      > Seagate, which took place on Tuesday last as the effects of an

      > immersion in Port Henry Harbour. Half a dozen witnesses were

      examined.'

      > >Regards,

      > Nel

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      2a.

      Re: James Will

      Posted by: "Debbie"
      debisioux@yahoo. com

      debisioux

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:38 am (PDT)

      Alex & Roy,

      Thank you both very much for looking for the Grave for me.

      Indeed I recieved the photo yesterday. I am extremely grateful to you

      both.

      Debbie xx

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (4)

      3.

      searching for details on the death of my grandfathers brother

      Posted by: "fio reid"
      drumtochty@tiscali. co.uk

      bibbity46

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:34 am (PDT)

      Hi all

      i am wondering if someone can help me.

      my grandfathers brother was an electrician and the story goes that he

      electrocuted himself.

      his name as far as i am aware was thomas reid i think his father was

      george murray reid.

      he had a wife called chrissie(not sure what her maiden name was but

      think davidson.)

      they had two children thomas penny reid born 1940 and elizabeth born a

      few years later.as ar as i know tom was about 9 when his father died.

      they may have been living in peterhead if not aberdeen but hey hailed

      from longside.(my great grandfather was smithy in longside)

      if anyone can help i wuld be grateful.i know there are links to

      kinmundy but not sure what.

      many thanks

      fionnaigh

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (1)

      Recent Activity

      Visit Your Group

      All-Bran
      Day 10 Club
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Feel better with fiber.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Stay healthy
      and discover other
      people who can help.

      Discover Tips
      on healthy living
      and healthy eating
      on Yahoo! Groups.

      Need to Reply?

      Create New Topic |

      Visit Your Group on the Web

      Messages
      | Files
      | Photos
      | Links
      | Database
      | Polls

      | Calendar

      Peterhead Genealogy at http://users. bigpond.net. au/phdgen/

      Visit Your Group |

      Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use |

      Unsubscribe

      X Factor: latest video, features and more. Click here!
      http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 115454063/ direct/01/

    • Marie Cooper
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
        Newspapers for Peterhead around the 1841 - 1850 period. I am seeking the a member of the
        Florence family lving in 1841 in Peterhead to be lost for the period between that date and turning up in Australia 1852.

        I wonder are articles of news around that period itemised or Indexed? Would really appreciate any help from the Peterhead list.

        Marie

      • ALISON KENNEDY
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
          Marie

          There were no local newspapers for Peterhead within your time-frame.  There were other newspapers but mostly Aberdeen City based and there was very little content in them relating to the smaller towns or villages of the 'shire' unless some disaster had struck.

          People (or families) emigrating were not usually mentioned in newspapers unless a person was a local dignitary of some kind.

          Alison

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 23, 2008
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Marie Cooper" <minbalup@...> wrote:

            > Newspapers for Peterhead around the 1841 - 1850 period. I am
            seeking the a member of the
            > Florence family lving in 1841 in Peterhead to be lost for the period
            between that date and turning up in Australia 1852.

            > I wonder are articles of news around that period itemised or
            Indexed? Would really appreciate any help from the Peterhead list.

            > Marie
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

            Which particular member are you looking for? Most of them still appear
            (plus a few extras)at Peterhead in 1851.

            Regards,
            Nel
          • Pauline Cordiner
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
              Hi Alison,Alexander's wife was Mary Janet Cordiner (her maiden name also!)She died on 15 April 1898 at Aberdeen Royal Lunatic Asylum at which point Alexander was still alive.I've tried looking through the papers at the Central Library, but never got far...

              Regards,
              Pauline

              2a.

              Re: Newspaper Reports