Newspaper Reports

  • Pauline Cordiner
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      Nel, I see you managed to search the Aberdeen Journals for the death of Mary Ann Buchanan....

      I have a similar situation with my g-grandfather, Alexander Cordiner of Boddam, born 1837.

      Family rumour suggests that he too committed suicide by drowning, but i have never been able to find a death certificate or any move by the family to have him declared dead. I started looking at the Buchan Observer (which was all very interesting and very distracting! :) but got as far as the early 1900's without finding anything about his death.

      We know he was alive at the time of his wife's death in 1898 and appears as a salmonfisher in the 1901 census. Perhaps he joins the Boddam United Free Church with one of his daughters in 1903 but by 1909, when his son is married he is dead.

      I'm just wondering if you managed to search Aberdeen Journals online? Or if there is any way I could search the Buchan Observer online?

      Many thanks in advance!
      Pauline Cordiner
      Aberdeen

      Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:02:12 +0000
      From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Peterhead] Digest Number 1681

      This mailing list is available to anyone with an interest or researching ancestors from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Th

      This mailing list is available to anyone with an interest or researching ancestors from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Th

      Messages In This Digest (7
      Messages)

      1a.

      Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      v11buk
      1b.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      Henderson, Roy
      1c.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      scotnel4
      1d.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      v11buk
      1e.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897
      From:
      v11buk

      2a.

      Re: James Will
      From:
      Debbie

      3.

      searching for details on the death of my grandfathers brother
      From:
      fio reid

      View All Topics | Create New Topic

      Messages

      1a.

      Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "v11buk"
      vivbuck@...

      v11buk

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 am (PDT)

      I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897. She

      was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).

      So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James

      ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.

      From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to

      David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.

      Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local

      newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies

      be still available?

      Regards

      Viv

      Dorset-England

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      1b.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "Henderson, Roy"
      roy.henderson@...

      roy_henderson_1955

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:29 am (PDT)

      Hi Viv,

      If the suicide happened in the Peterhead area, then it would almost

      certainly have been mentioned in The Buchan Observer. This is available

      (to view) on microfilm at the local library. If you were able to provide

      a date of death then perhaps someone might check the microfilm close to

      that date.

      Roy

      ________________________________

      I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897. She

      was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).

      So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James

      ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.

      From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to

      David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.

      Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local

      newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies

      be still available?

      Regards

      Viv

      Dorset-England

      ===============================

      CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

      of this communication or message.

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      1c.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "scotnel4"
      NelMit4@...

      scotnel4

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 am (PDT)

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "v11buk" <vivbuck@...> wrote:

      > I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897.

      She

      > was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).

      > So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James

      > ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.

      > From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to

      > David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.

      > Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local

      > newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies

      > be still available?

      > Regards

      > Viv

      > Dorset-England

      Hello Viv,

      Didn't find anything about the drowning, but there was this, in the

      Aberdeen Journal on Saturday 13th November 1897. I'm pretty sure NAS

      would have a copy of the inquest.

      'The Drowning Fatality - Yesterday Mr Wilson, procurator fiscal held a

      formal inquiry into the death of Mary Ann Buchanan, fishworker,

      Seagate, which took place on Tuesday last as the effects of an

      immersion in Port Henry Harbour. Half a dozen witnesses were examined.'

      >Regards,

      Nel

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      1d.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "v11buk"
      vivbuck@...

      v11buk

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:58 pm (PDT)

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Roy"

      <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

      > Hi Viv,

      > If the suicide happened in the Peterhead area, then it would almost

      > certainly have been mentioned in The Buchan Observer. This is

      available

      > (to view) on microfilm at the local library. If you were able to

      provide

      > a date of death then perhaps someone might check the microfilm

      close to

      > that date.

      > Roy

      Hi Roy.

      Many thanks for your reply.

      Mary Ann BUCHAN died on 9 November 1897. From her death certificate

      her address was given as Seagate Place, Peterhead.

      Nel has kindly looked in the Aberdeen Journal and found that it was

      reported that Mary Ann drowned in Port Henry Harbour.

      If somebody could search the microfilm for the Buchan Observer to see

      if there is any more information I would be very grateful.

      Regards

      Viv

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      1e.

      Re: Newspaper report 1897

      Posted by: "v11buk"
      vivbuck@...

      v11buk

      Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 am (PDT)

      Hi Nel

      Many thanks for your quick reply and information.

      As to a copy of the inquest - would that mean a visit to NAS ?

      Regards

      Viv

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "scotnel4" <NelMit4@...> wrote:

      > Hello Viv,

      > Didn't find anything about the drowning, but there was this, in the

      > Aberdeen Journal on Saturday 13th November 1897. I'm pretty sure

      NAS

      > would have a copy of the inquest.

      > 'The Drowning Fatality - Yesterday Mr Wilson, procurator fiscal

      held a

      > formal inquiry into the death of Mary Ann Buchanan, fishworker,

      > Seagate, which took place on Tuesday last as the effects of an

      > immersion in Port Henry Harbour. Half a dozen witnesses were

      examined.'

      > >Regards,

      > Nel

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (5)

      2a.

      Re: James Will

      Posted by: "Debbie"
      debisioux@...

      debisioux

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:38 am (PDT)

      Alex & Roy,

      Thank you both very much for looking for the Grave for me.

      Indeed I recieved the photo yesterday. I am extremely grateful to you

      both.

      Debbie xx

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (4)

      3.

      searching for details on the death of my grandfathers brother

      Posted by: "fio reid"
      drumtochty@...

      bibbity46

      Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:34 am (PDT)

      Hi all

      i am wondering if someone can help me.

      my grandfathers brother was an electrician and the story goes that he

      electrocuted himself.

      his name as far as i am aware was thomas reid i think his father was

      george murray reid.

      he had a wife called chrissie(not sure what her maiden name was but

      think davidson.)

      they had two children thomas penny reid born 1940 and elizabeth born a

      few years later.as ar as i know tom was about 9 when his father died.

      they may have been living in peterhead if not aberdeen but hey hailed

      from longside.(my great grandfather was smithy in longside)

      if anyone can help i wuld be grateful.i know there are links to

      kinmundy but not sure what.

      many thanks

      fionnaigh

      Back to top

      Reply to sender

      Reply to group

      Messages in this topic
      (1)

      Recent Activity

      Visit Your Group

      All-Bran
      Day 10 Club
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Feel better with fiber.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Stay healthy
      and discover other
      people who can help.

      Discover Tips
      on healthy living
      and healthy eating
      on Yahoo! Groups.

      Need to Reply?

      Create New Topic |

      Visit Your Group on the Web

      Messages
      | Files
      | Photos
      | Links
      | Database
      | Polls

      | Calendar

      Visit Your Group |

      Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use |

      Unsubscribe

    • ALISON KENNEDY
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
        Pauline

        Unfortunately neither of the old editions of the Aberdeen Journal or the Buchan Observer are available on-line.  If you live in Aberdeen you can however access them at the Central Library, Rosemount Viaduct, but without knowing a date for the death of your g-grandfather then you are literally looking for a needle in a haystack as it can take a long time to get through a years' worth of newspapers.

        What was the name of Alexander Cordiner's wife?

        Alison

        Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:02:12 +0000
        From: Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com
        To: Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com

        This mailing list is available to anyone with an interest or researching ancestors from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Th

        This mailing list is available to anyone with an interest or researching ancestors from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Th

        Messages In This Digest (7
        Messages)

        1a.

        Newspaper report 1897
        From:
        v11buk
        1b.

        Re: Newspaper report 1897
        From:
        Henderson, Roy
        1c.

        Re: Newspaper report 1897
        From:
        scotnel4
        1d.

        Re: Newspaper report 1897
        From:
        v11buk
        1e.

        Re: Newspaper report 1897
        From:
        v11buk

        2a.

        Re: James Will
        From:

        From:

        vivbuck@aol. com

        v11buk

        Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 am (PDT)

        I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897. She

        was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).

        So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James

        ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.

        From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to

        roy.henderson@ eu.weatherford. com

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897. She

        was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).

        So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James

        ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.

        From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to

        ============ ========= ========= =

        NelMit4@aol. com

        <roy.henderson@ ...> wrote:

        > Hi Viv,

        > If the suicide happened in the Peterhead area, then it would almost

        > certainly have been mentioned in The Buchan Observer. This is

        available

        > (to view) on microfilm at the local library. If you were able to

        provide

        > a date of death then perhaps someone might check the microfilm

        close to

        > that date.

        > Roy

        Hi Roy.

        Many thanks for your reply.

        Mary Ann BUCHAN died on 9 November 1897. From her death certificate

        her address was given as Seagate Place, Peterhead.

        Nel has kindly looked in the Aberdeen Journal and found that it was

        reported that Mary Ann drowned in Port Henry Harbour.

        If somebody could search the microfilm for the Buchan Observer to see

        if there is any more information I would be very grateful.

        Regards

        Viv

        Back to top

        Reply to sender

        Reply to group

        Messages in this topic
        (5)

        1e.

        Re: Newspaper report 1897

        Posted by: "v11buk"
        vivbuck@aol. com

        v11buk

        Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 am (PDT)

        Hi Nel

        Many thanks for your quick reply and information.

        As to a copy of the inquest - would that mean a visit to NAS ?

        Regards

        Viv

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com, "scotnel4" <NelMit4@... > wrote:

        > Hello Viv,

        > Didn't find anything about the drowning, but there was this, in the

        > Aberdeen Journal on Saturday 13th November 1897. I'm pretty sure

        NAS

        > would have a copy of the inquest.

        > 'The Drowning Fatality - Yesterday Mr Wilson, procurator fiscal

        held a

        > formal inquiry into the death of Mary Ann Buchanan, fishworker,

        > Seagate, which took place on Tuesday last as the effects of an

        > immersion in Port Henry Harbour. Half a dozen witnesses were

        examined.'

        > >Regards,

        > Nel

        Back to top

        Reply to sender

        Reply to group

        Messages in this topic
        (5)

        2a.

        Re: James Will

        Posted by: "Debbie"
        debisioux@yahoo. com

        drumtochty@tiscali. co.uk

        bibbity46

        Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:34 am (PDT)

        Hi all

        i am wondering if someone can help me.

        my grandfathers brother was an electrician and the story goes that he

        electrocuted himself.

        his name as far as i am aware was thomas reid i think his father was

        george murray reid.

        he had a wife called chrissie(not sure what her maiden name was but

        think davidson.)

        they had two children thomas penny reid born 1940 and elizabeth born a

        few years later.as ar as i know tom was about 9 when his father died.

        they may have been living in peterhead if not aberdeen but hey hailed

        from longside.(my great grandfather was smithy in longside)

        if anyone can help i wuld be grateful.i know there are links to

        kinmundy but not sure what.

        many thanks

        fionnaigh

        Back to top

        Reply to sender

        Reply to group

        Messages in this topic
        (1)

        Recent Activity

        Visit Your Group

        All-Bran
        Day 10 Club
        on Yahoo! Groups
        Feel better with fiber.

        Yahoo! Groups
        Stay healthy
        and discover other
        people who can help.

        Discover Tips
        on healthy living
        and healthy eating
        on Yahoo! Groups.

        Need to Reply?

        Create New Topic |

        Visit Your Group on the Web

        Messages
        | Files
        | Photos
        | Links
        | Database
        | Polls

        | Calendar

        Peterhead Genealogy at http://users. bigpond.net. au/phdgen/

        Visit Your Group |

        Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use |

        Unsubscribe

        X Factor: latest video, features and more. Click here!
        http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 115454063/ direct/01/

      • Marie Cooper
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
          Newspapers for Peterhead around the 1841 - 1850 period. I am seeking the a member of the
          Florence family lving in 1841 in Peterhead to be lost for the period between that date and turning up in Australia 1852.

          I wonder are articles of news around that period itemised or Indexed? Would really appreciate any help from the Peterhead list.

          Marie

        • ALISON KENNEDY
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
            Marie

            There were no local newspapers for Peterhead within your time-frame.  There were other newspapers but mostly Aberdeen City based and there was very little content in them relating to the smaller towns or villages of the 'shire' unless some disaster had struck.

            People (or families) emigrating were not usually mentioned in newspapers unless a person was a local dignitary of some kind.

            Alison

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 23, 2008
              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Marie Cooper" <minbalup@...> wrote:

              > Newspapers for Peterhead around the 1841 - 1850 period. I am
              seeking the a member of the
              > Florence family lving in 1841 in Peterhead to be lost for the period
              between that date and turning up in Australia 1852.

              > I wonder are articles of news around that period itemised or
              Indexed? Would really appreciate any help from the Peterhead list.

              > Marie
              >
              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

              Which particular member are you looking for? Most of them still appear
              (plus a few extras)at Peterhead in 1851.

              Regards,
              Nel
            • Pauline Cordiner
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
                Hi Alison,Alexander's wife was Mary Janet Cordiner (her maiden name also!)She died on 15 April 1898 at Aberdeen Royal Lunatic Asylum at which point Alexander was still alive.I've tried looking through the papers at the Central Library, but never got far...

                Regards,
                Pauline

                2a.

                Re: Newspaper Reports