Re: Newspaper report 1897

  • scotnel4
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2008
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "v11buk" <vivbuck@...> wrote:

      > I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897.
      She
      > was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).
      > So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James
      > ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.
      > From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to
      > David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.
      >
      > Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local
      > newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies
      > be still available?
      >
      > Regards
      > Viv
      > Dorset-England

      Hello Viv,

      Didn't find anything about the drowning, but there was this, in the
      Aberdeen Journal on Saturday 13th November 1897. I'm pretty sure NAS
      would have a copy of the inquest.

      'The Drowning Fatality - Yesterday Mr Wilson, procurator fiscal held a
      formal inquiry into the death of Mary Ann Buchanan, fishworker,
      Seagate, which took place on Tuesday last as the effects of an
      immersion in Port Henry Harbour. Half a dozen witnesses were examined.'

      >Regards,
      Nel
    • v11buk
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2008
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Roy"
        <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

        > Hi Viv,
        >

        > If the suicide happened in the Peterhead area, then it would almost
        > certainly have been mentioned in The Buchan Observer. This is
        available
        > (to view) on microfilm at the local library. If you were able to
        provide
        > a date of death then perhaps someone might check the microfilm
        close to
        > that date.
        >

        > Roy

        Hi Roy.
        Many thanks for your reply.
        Mary Ann BUCHAN died on 9 November 1897. From her death certificate
        her address was given as Seagate Place, Peterhead.
        Nel has kindly looked in the Aberdeen Journal and found that it was
        reported that Mary Ann drowned in Port Henry Harbour.

        If somebody could search the microfilm for the Buchan Observer to see
        if there is any more information I would be very grateful.

        Regards
        Viv
      • v11buk
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
          Hi Nel

          Many thanks for your quick reply and information.
          As to a copy of the inquest - would that mean a visit to NAS ?

          Regards
          Viv