Seaman's Tickets

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4, 1999
      Hello All,
      Does anyone have any Seaman's Ticket Info which is "searchable" ?
      I have ordered film from my local LDS Family History Centre but have been waiting a VERY LONG time.....and still waiting.
      The individuals I am interested in are :

      John Martin (b.1771 in Newburgh, Foveran Parish) married Jean Buchan and subsequently lived in the Roanheads.
      John Martin (b.1808 in Peterhead)...son of the above John Martin.
      John Mitchell (b.1826 in Peterhead).

      Any info greatly appreciated.

      Alex. Ritchie.
    • J. David Barron
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4, 1999
        I, too, would be interested in such information for my GGrandfather,
        Alexander Barron, ch. Old Deer, 1845, who supposedly joined the Merchant
        Marine (lying about his age, no doubt) and leaving Peterhead at age 14.

        Regards,
        David Barron
        Ottawa, Canada

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 1999
          Hi Alex,

          Alex Ritchie wrote:

          > Does anyone have any Seaman's Ticket Info which is "searchable" ?

          I have started a Peterhead Seamen Index (Peterhead born or living in
          Peterhead). So far over 450.

          > I have ordered film from my local LDS Family History Centre but have been waiting a > VERY LONG time.....and still waiting.

          I currently have a film of Seaman's Tickets which I ordered back in
          Decemeber. I haven't been through it all yet, but I found a group of
          about 100 from Peterhead. I will put up the list from the film soon
          (probably next weekend).

          > John Martin (b.1808 in Peterhead)

          Did I send you the crew agreement for the "Taurus" of Aberdeen of which
          John Martin was Master ? I still have a pile of Crew Agreements that I
          haven't entered into the index yet.

          Regards, Wade.
        • Alex Ritchie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 1999
            Hello Wade,
            This is asking quite a lot of you but, could you (When you get a chance) send me the details for the following seamen ? :

            COAPER WILLIAM (106349) - Actually this surname is usually COUPER. This is an ancestor in my wife's family tree.
            DUTHIE JAMES (106330)
            Geddes JOHN (106301)
            Martin ROBERT (106371) - Whaling Captain, but not sure if same family as "my" Martins
            Philips ALEXANDER (106306)
            Smith THOMAS (106386)

            Many Thanks & Kindest Regards

            Alex Ritchie
          • Alex Ritchie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 22, 1999
              Hi Wade , A belated "Thank You" for all the Seamans Ticket Info I asked you for.
              When you get a chance, could I also get the info for :

              Alexander McPherson (106317).

              Thanks also for the John Martin info (Taurus). Precious little information on it other than his year of birth and the fact that he could write.....but that's not your fault, of course. Nevertheless it's interesting to me.

              Kindest Regards

              Alex Ritchie
            • J. David Barron
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 22, 1999
                Is this information on the Seamen's tickets available for different
                years? Is it organized like a census, i.e. every ten years, or was it
                compiled annually?

                I seem to recall that the list you were quoting from was 1840s, but I'm
                after similar info. from the 1850s and 60s.

                Thanks.

                David Barron
                Ottawa, Canada
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 25, 1999
                  Hi David,

                  J. David Barron wrote:

                  > Is this information on the Seamen's tickets available for different
                  > years? Is it organized like a census, i.e. every ten years, or was it
                  > compiled annually?
                  >
                  > I seem to recall that the list you were quoting from was 1840s, but I'm
                  > after similar info. from the 1850s and 60s.

                  Register of Seamen's Tickets (BT113), covers 1845 to 1854, the ticket
                  system was unpopular and was abolished in October 1853. Register of
                  Seamen, Series III (BT 116), 1853 to 1857, gives their ages, places of
                  birth and details of voyages (ship's name, date and port of departure),
                  together with their existing ticket numbers (if any). This was
                  discontinued in 1857 and you need to use Agreements and Crew Lists after
                  this.

                  Series III has also been filmed by the LDS, you will need to look at
                  Locality Catalogue under Great Britain, Merchant Marine for the film
                  numbers.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 25, 1999
                    Hi Alex,

                    Alex Ritchie wrote:

                    > When you get a chance, could I also get the info for :
                    >
                    > Alexander McPherson (106317).

                    106317, Alexander McPherson, 28 February 1828, Cromdale Inverness
                    Capacity: Apprentice
                    Height 5 ft 6 in Hair Light
                    Complexion Fair Eyes Grey
                    Marks None
                    First went to sea as Apprentice in the Year 1845
                    Has served in the Royal Navy No
                    Has been in Foreign Service No
                    When unemployed, resides at Peterhead
                    Issued at Peterhead 19 Februar 1845
                    Age when ticketed 17
                    Can Write Yes

                    Regards, Wade.
                  • Alex Ritchie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 3, 1999
                      Hi Judy, If I'm not too late...and if it's not too much trouble, can you get me the details for the following Seamen from your list :

                      Andrew Buchan (114203) Thomas Smith (114208)
                      John Ogston (114210) Alexander Willox (114238)
                      James Reid (114258) John Reid (114265)
                      William Cow (114268)

                      Alex Ritchie
                    • thepatch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 12, 2000
                        Could Wade, or anyone please tell me whether or not LDS FHL has on microfilm an index of names and ticket numbers for Merchant Seamen.  If so, would appreciate Film number.

                        Pat Campbell