Newspaper report 1897

  • v11buk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2008
      I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897. She
      was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).
      So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James
      ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.
      From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to
      David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.

      Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local
      newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies
      be still available?

      Regards
      Viv
      Dorset-England
    • Henderson, Roy
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2008
        Hi Viv,

        If the suicide happened in the Peterhead area, then it would almost
        certainly have been mentioned in The Buchan Observer. This is available
        (to view) on microfilm at the local library. If you were able to provide
        a date of death then perhaps someone might check the microfilm close to
        that date.

        Roy

        ________________________________

        I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897. She
        was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).
        So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James
        ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.
        From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to
        David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.

        Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local
        newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies
        be still available?

        Regards
        Viv
        Dorset-England

        ===============================
        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

        of this communication or message.

      • scotnel4
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2008
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "v11buk" <vivbuck@...> wrote:

          > I am currently researching Mary Ann BUCHAN born 1860 and died 1897.
          She
          > was the daughter of David BUCHAN and Margaret Ann BUCHAN. (ms BUCHAN).
          > So far I have found that she had 2 illigitinmate children, James
          > ALLISTER/BUCHAN and John FOULTON/BUCHAN.
          > From Mary Ann's death certificate it states that she was married to
          > David HARVEY, but I have not traced this marriage yet.
          >
          > Mary Ann's cause of death was suicide by drowning. Would any local
          > newspapers have reported on this death in 1897 and if so would copies
          > be still available?
          >
          > Regards
          > Viv
          > Dorset-England

          Hello Viv,

          Didn't find anything about the drowning, but there was this, in the
          Aberdeen Journal on Saturday 13th November 1897. I'm pretty sure NAS
          would have a copy of the inquest.

          'The Drowning Fatality - Yesterday Mr Wilson, procurator fiscal held a
          formal inquiry into the death of Mary Ann Buchanan, fishworker,
          Seagate, which took place on Tuesday last as the effects of an
          immersion in Port Henry Harbour. Half a dozen witnesses were examined.'

          >Regards,
          Nel
        • v11buk
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2008
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Roy"
            <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

            > Hi Viv,
            >

            > If the suicide happened in the Peterhead area, then it would almost
            > certainly have been mentioned in The Buchan Observer. This is
            available
            > (to view) on microfilm at the local library. If you were able to
            provide
            > a date of death then perhaps someone might check the microfilm
            close to
            > that date.
            >

            > Roy

            Hi Roy.
            Many thanks for your reply.
            Mary Ann BUCHAN died on 9 November 1897. From her death certificate
            her address was given as Seagate Place, Peterhead.
            Nel has kindly looked in the Aberdeen Journal and found that it was
            reported that Mary Ann drowned in Port Henry Harbour.

            If somebody could search the microfilm for the Buchan Observer to see
            if there is any more information I would be very grateful.

            Regards
            Viv
          • v11buk
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
              Hi Nel

              Many thanks for your quick reply and information.
              As to a copy of the inquest - would that mean a visit to NAS ?

              Regards
              Viv