Re: [Peterhead] Re: Lairs question

  • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
      Thanks! I thought we had sent for that but must have been overlooked.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
        On the question of lairs and gravestones, it seems that the lair records
        are more reliable than monumental inscriptions. Not only was the erection
        or otherwise of a gravestone up to the family (and possibly affected by their
        financial circumstances) but the names recorded on the gravestone do not
        necessarily represent people buried there. I know of several cases among
        my own ancestors where a monument was erected in memory of one or two people,
        and then later the names of others who died elsewhere, for example in England,
        were added to the stone.

        Mary

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • Cci
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
          Hi Roy,
          I got the info from the Peterhead site and it said;
          Peterhead Old Kirkyard.
          Thanks,
          Catherine

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008