Re: Lairs question

  • Ian Robertson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
      Further to my response, I "believe" the intent (for St Peter's Cemetery)
      was that up to six people could be buried in a lair. In my family's
      case, the names registered in a lair have given me a 'good shot' at
      reconstructing the family tree. If less than six, then perhaps
      intermarriages etc. took place. If more than six, then perhaps a 'wink
      and nod' at the appropriate moment.

      Ian Robertson

      864 Pacific Dr.

      Delta, BC

      V4M 2K3

    • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
        Thanks! I thought we had sent for that but must have been overlooked.
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
          On the question of lairs and gravestones, it seems that the lair records
          are more reliable than monumental inscriptions. Not only was the erection
          or otherwise of a gravestone up to the family (and possibly affected by their
          financial circumstances) but the names recorded on the gravestone do not
          necessarily represent people buried there. I know of several cases among
          my own ancestors where a monument was erected in memory of one or two people,
          and then later the names of others who died elsewhere, for example in England,
          were added to the stone.

          Mary

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@...
        • Cci
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
            Hi Roy,
            I got the info from the Peterhead site and it said;
            Peterhead Old Kirkyard.
            Thanks,
            Catherine

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008