Re: Lairs question

  • Ian Robertson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
      If you are referring to St Peter's Old Churchyard Cemetery in Peterhead,
      the Lair records will record 'who is buried where'. The presence or
      absence of gravestones/tombstones is a matter of intent and circumstance
      - whether if one was set out and if it has it remained there, etc.

      There is an authoritative CD/DVD complete with both monumental
      descriptions and photos available on the old Cemetery available from the
      Family History Society of Buchan which was formed earlier this year (
      www.fhsb.org.uk ).

      Ian Robertson

      864 Pacific Dr.

      Delta, BC

      V4M 2K3

    • Ian Robertson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
        Further to my response, I "believe" the intent (for St Peter's Cemetery)
        was that up to six people could be buried in a lair. In my family's
        case, the names registered in a lair have given me a 'good shot' at
        reconstructing the family tree. If less than six, then perhaps
        intermarriages etc. took place. If more than six, then perhaps a 'wink
        and nod' at the appropriate moment.

        Ian Robertson

        864 Pacific Dr.

        Delta, BC

        V4M 2K3

      • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
          Thanks! I thought we had sent for that but must have been overlooked.

        • marysb@iprimus.com.au
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
            On the question of lairs and gravestones, it seems that the lair records
            are more reliable than monumental inscriptions. Not only was the erection
            or otherwise of a gravestone up to the family (and possibly affected by their
            financial circumstances) but the names recorded on the gravestone do not
            necessarily represent people buried there. I know of several cases among
            my own ancestors where a monument was erected in memory of one or two people,
            and then later the names of others who died elsewhere, for example in England,
            were added to the stone.

            Mary

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...
          • Cci
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
              Hi Roy,
              I got the info from the Peterhead site and it said;
              Peterhead Old Kirkyard.
              Thanks,
              Catherine

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008