Re: [Peterhead] Lairs question

  • Celtic Mist
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
      any with THOMSON

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Cci <cci@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:25:30 AM
      Subject: [Peterhead] Lairs question

      Hi group,

      Could someone please tell me an answer to this question.

      I have 3 Lair numbers. C197, C198, C199
      1 group has 5 peoples names in it, 1 group has 9 peoples names in it and the last 5.

      Are these individual gravestones.

      Thank you.
      Catherine

    • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
        Hi,

        I have THOMSON buried in St Peters but I don't have the Lair nos.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
          If you are referring to St Peter's Old Churchyard Cemetery in Peterhead,
          the Lair records will record 'who is buried where'. The presence or
          absence of gravestones/tombstones is a matter of intent and circumstance
          - whether if one was set out and if it has it remained there, etc.

          There is an authoritative CD/DVD complete with both monumental
          descriptions and photos available on the old Cemetery available from the
          Family History Society of Buchan which was formed earlier this year (
          www.fhsb.org.uk ).

          Ian Robertson

          864 Pacific Dr.

          Delta, BC

          V4M 2K3

        • Ian Robertson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
            Further to my response, I "believe" the intent (for St Peter's Cemetery)
            was that up to six people could be buried in a lair. In my family's
            case, the names registered in a lair have given me a 'good shot' at
            reconstructing the family tree. If less than six, then perhaps
            intermarriages etc. took place. If more than six, then perhaps a 'wink
            and nod' at the appropriate moment.

            Ian Robertson

            864 Pacific Dr.

            Delta, BC

            V4M 2K3

          • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
              Thanks! I thought we had sent for that but must have been overlooked.

            • marysb@iprimus.com.au
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                On the question of lairs and gravestones, it seems that the lair records
                are more reliable than monumental inscriptions. Not only was the erection
                or otherwise of a gravestone up to the family (and possibly affected by their
                financial circumstances) but the names recorded on the gravestone do not
                necessarily represent people buried there. I know of several cases among
                my own ancestors where a monument was erected in memory of one or two people,
                and then later the names of others who died elsewhere, for example in England,
                were added to the stone.

                Mary

                Mary Barnes
                marysb@...
              • Cci
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                  Hi Roy,
                  I got the info from the Peterhead site and it said;
                  Peterhead Old Kirkyard.
                  Thanks,
                  Catherine

                  Which cemetery are you referring to Catherine?

                  ________________________________

                  Could someone please tell me an answer to this question.

                  I have 3 Lair numbers. C197, C198, C199
                  1 group has 5 peoples names in it, 1 group has 9 peoples names in it and
                  the last 5.

                  Are these individual gravestones.

                  Thank you.
                  Catherine