RE: [Peterhead] Lairs question

  • Henderson, Roy
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
      Which cemetery are you referring to Catherine?

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
        any with THOMSON

      • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
          Hi,

          I have THOMSON buried in St Peters but I don't have the Lair nos.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
            If you are referring to St Peter's Old Churchyard Cemetery in Peterhead,
            the Lair records will record 'who is buried where'. The presence or
            absence of gravestones/tombstones is a matter of intent and circumstance
            - whether if one was set out and if it has it remained there, etc.

            There is an authoritative CD/DVD complete with both monumental
            descriptions and photos available on the old Cemetery available from the
            Family History Society of Buchan which was formed earlier this year (
            www.fhsb.org.uk ).

            Ian Robertson

            864 Pacific Dr.

            Delta, BC

            V4M 2K3

          • Ian Robertson
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
              Further to my response, I "believe" the intent (for St Peter's Cemetery)
              was that up to six people could be buried in a lair. In my family's
              case, the names registered in a lair have given me a 'good shot' at
              reconstructing the family tree. If less than six, then perhaps
              intermarriages etc. took place. If more than six, then perhaps a 'wink
              and nod' at the appropriate moment.

              Ian Robertson

              864 Pacific Dr.

              Delta, BC

              V4M 2K3

            • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                Thanks! I thought we had sent for that but must have been overlooked.

              • marysb@iprimus.com.au
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                  On the question of lairs and gravestones, it seems that the lair records
                  are more reliable than monumental inscriptions. Not only was the erection
                  or otherwise of a gravestone up to the family (and possibly affected by their
                  financial circumstances) but the names recorded on the gravestone do not
                  necessarily represent people buried there. I know of several cases among
                  my own ancestors where a monument was erected in memory of one or two people,
                  and then later the names of others who died elsewhere, for example in England,
                  were added to the stone.

                  Mary

                  Mary Barnes
                  marysb@...
                • Cci
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                    Hi Roy,
                    I got the info from the Peterhead site and it said;
                    Peterhead Old Kirkyard.
                    Thanks,
                    Catherine

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008