Lairs question

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
      Hi group,

      Could someone please tell me an answer to this question.

      I have 3 Lair numbers. C197, C198, C199
      1 group has 5 peoples names in it, 1 group has 9 peoples names in it and the last 5.

      Are these individual gravestones.

      Thank you.
      Catherine

    • Henderson, Roy
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
        Which cemetery are you referring to Catherine?

        ________________________________

        Could someone please tell me an answer to this question.

        I have 3 Lair numbers. C197, C198, C199
        1 group has 5 peoples names in it, 1 group has 9 peoples names in it and
        the last 5.

        Are these individual gravestones.

        Thank you.
        Catherine

        ===============================
        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

        of this communication or message.

      • Celtic Mist
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
          any with THOMSON

        • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
            Hi,

            I have THOMSON buried in St Peters but I don't have the Lair nos.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
              If you are referring to St Peter's Old Churchyard Cemetery in Peterhead,
              the Lair records will record 'who is buried where'. The presence or
              absence of gravestones/tombstones is a matter of intent and circumstance
              - whether if one was set out and if it has it remained there, etc.

              There is an authoritative CD/DVD complete with both monumental
              descriptions and photos available on the old Cemetery available from the
              Family History Society of Buchan which was formed earlier this year (
              www.fhsb.org.uk ).

              Ian Robertson

              864 Pacific Dr.

              Delta, BC

              V4M 2K3

            • Ian Robertson
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                Further to my response, I "believe" the intent (for St Peter's Cemetery)
                was that up to six people could be buried in a lair. In my family's
                case, the names registered in a lair have given me a 'good shot' at
                reconstructing the family tree. If less than six, then perhaps
                intermarriages etc. took place. If more than six, then perhaps a 'wink
                and nod' at the appropriate moment.

                Ian Robertson

                864 Pacific Dr.

                Delta, BC

                V4M 2K3

              • mlarooij@xtra.co.nz
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                  Thanks! I thought we had sent for that but must have been overlooked.

                • marysb@iprimus.com.au
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                    On the question of lairs and gravestones, it seems that the lair records
                    are more reliable than monumental inscriptions. Not only was the erection
                    or otherwise of a gravestone up to the family (and possibly affected by their
                    financial circumstances) but the names recorded on the gravestone do not
                    necessarily represent people buried there. I know of several cases among
                    my own ancestors where a monument was erected in memory of one or two people,
                    and then later the names of others who died elsewhere, for example in England,
                    were added to the stone.

                    Mary

                    Mary Barnes
                    marysb@...
                  • Cci
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
                      Hi Roy,
                      I got the info from the Peterhead site and it said;
                      Peterhead Old Kirkyard.
                      Thanks,
                      Catherine

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008