RE: [Peterhead] James & John Marshall

  • R.J.B.Collinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2008
      I am also a Master Mariner and have sailed, as Master, in and out of
      Peterhead many times - but as I wasn't born there I don't suppose I count.
      But I'm glad the web site was of help - As far as we are able to make out
      the two brothers did not get on - I will be posting a letter on the website
      from James to John Marshall complaining about lack of contact shortly.

      Is your Peterhead Masters information available on line anywhere?

      All the best

      Richard

      R. J. B. Collinson

      United Kingdom

      www.family-trees.org.uk

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2008
        For : R.J.B.Collinson

        My shipmaster information is not available on-line. My hope is that
        once I am reasonably satisfied with the content, that it might ge
        printed as a kind of "Catalogue" of Peterhead Shipmasters. I'm going to
        try and get the newly formed Peterhead Family History Group to review
        it and get their advice. They might be able to help me get it printed.
        However, if there are any names I might be able to help you with please
        get in touch.
        My interest has been mainly shipmasters of the 18th,19th and some 20th.
        century. I've put together basic genealogical information (birth (&
        parents), marriage (& spouse's parents), death & burial information.
        Also vessels commanded, vessel share ownership, residences and any
        interesting details found on specific voyages like circumstances if a
        master died at sea. (if I can find some or all of these details !).
        Sometimes I can only get my hands on very scant information.

        Best Regards..................Alex Ritchie
      • Steve Broekmann
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2008
          Hi Alex,

          Do you have information on Shipmasters who left Peterhead? My interest is in William Stephen who apparently left Peterhead in the early 1850s but died after being lost overboard on 24 December 1861 near Mauritius or Madagascar. Probably as master of the brig Flibberty. Christmas eve revelry springs to mind as a contributing factor, but that may be uncharitable as he may have been a Methodist.

          If you have any reference I would be interested.

          BTW did you know that there is a town called Ugie in South Africa. Named after the river in Aberdeenshire?

          Steve

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2008
            Alex Hi,

            In my tree on the Bruce side I have a John Mitchell " drowned in Table Bay" on 19th May 1865 aged 23 years according to the stone in Slains Churchyard. I have never been able to discover any details of how, when, where or why.

            As to printing your data, I am sure the FHSB will be able to help. We were instrumental in getting Mary Robertson's CD ready for sale and are helping with the production of the Constitution Street one. The data is being checked at present as Mary continues to photograph graves and index them with the lair records at the registrar. We are now open all day Wednesday as well as Saturday morning.

            On Sat 23 of this month we have a recording day at the St Fergus cemetery so we are becoming pro active.

            Margie