Re: [Peterhead] Shipping

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2008
      Hi Marie,

      How much information there is about your ancestor may depend on
      whether or not he paid his way to Australia. My husband has done a
      lot of research on ancestors who emigrated to Australia in the mid
      19th century, and I understand that while there are plentiful records
      for convicts, and for people who came on one of the government-funded
      assisted passage schemes, the info available about those who paid
      their own way depends entirely on the captain of the ship on which he
      travelled. Some kept detailed records, but others merely recorded the
      number of first class, second class and steerage passengers and left
      it at that. If you have his death certificate, it should tell you how
      long he had lived in the colony (at least this is the case for NSW and
      Tasmanian death certs) and this MAY tell you when he immigrated into
      Australia. But if he moved around from one state to another, even that
      may not help.

      Mary Barnes

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...
    • Gweneth Myers
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2008
        The Australian death certicates in Victoria also give the length of time a person lived in the Colony.
        Regards
        Gweneth Myers

        Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Marie Cooper
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16, 2008
          I have been trying to find where Alexander Florence sailed from to Sth Australia. I have had several kind and helpful replies but unfortunately as he paid his own passage it is hard to find the ship or date
          of his arrival. I am trying to fill the gap between what I know of his birth and last place he was in Scotland 1841 Peterhead census and when he married Sth Australia 1852. The records for Sth Australia are not as helpful as Victoria's record keeping so this is the problem. Another way around it is anyone researching this family who were living in Peterhead around the early 1840's till 1860 or perhaps latter. What I have

          James Florence 41 blacksmith
          Mary Florence 34 wife
          George Florence 6yrs
          Mary Florence 10 yrs
          John Florence 12 yrs
          Alexander Florence 24

          Anyone researching this family I would be glad of any help and share what I have