Re: [Peterhead] Shipping

  • Marie Cooper
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2008
      Hi Alison,

      Thank you for your reply. I am looking for Alexander Florence born in Auchterless and living with his brother in Peterhead in 1841. After this date I lost Alexander till I found his marriage in South Australia 1852 and I am trying to piece together his life between these two dates.

      Have tried all the shipping I can find in Australia of course could have missed his arrival but I have looked several times.

      Any help will be appreciated.

      Marie

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2008
        Hi Marie,

        How much information there is about your ancestor may depend on
        whether or not he paid his way to Australia. My husband has done a
        lot of research on ancestors who emigrated to Australia in the mid
        19th century, and I understand that while there are plentiful records
        for convicts, and for people who came on one of the government-funded
        assisted passage schemes, the info available about those who paid
        their own way depends entirely on the captain of the ship on which he
        travelled. Some kept detailed records, but others merely recorded the
        number of first class, second class and steerage passengers and left
        it at that. If you have his death certificate, it should tell you how
        long he had lived in the colony (at least this is the case for NSW and
        Tasmanian death certs) and this MAY tell you when he immigrated into
        Australia. But if he moved around from one state to another, even that
        may not help.

        Mary Barnes

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • Gweneth Myers

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 16, 2008
            I have been trying to find where Alexander Florence sailed from to Sth Australia. I have had several kind and helpful replies but unfortunately as he paid his own passage it is hard to find the ship or date
            of his arrival. I am trying to fill the gap between what I know of his birth and last place he was in Scotland 1841 Peterhead census and when he married Sth Australia 1852. The records for Sth Australia are not as helpful as Victoria's record keeping so this is the problem. Another way around it is anyone researching this family who were living in Peterhead around the early 1840's till 1860 or perhaps latter. What I have

            James Florence 41 blacksmith
            Mary Florence 34 wife
            George Florence 6yrs
            Mary Florence 10 yrs
            John Florence 12 yrs
            Alexander Florence 24

            Anyone researching this family I would be glad of any help and share what I have