Re: [Peterhead] Shipping

  • ALISON KENNEDY
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2008
      Hi Marie
      I believe that emigrating Scots left from various ports in Soctland and sometimes from England.  Main port in Scotland was Glasgow, and others used were Leith (Edinburgh), Aberdeen, Cromarty, Thurso, Shetland, & some of the ports on the Western Isles (Mull & Stornoway).  Whilst Peterhead boats were used from some of these ports I don't think that Peterhead itself was used for this kind of shipping.  What are the details and/or name of your ancestor in case someone else has any info to help you?
      Alison

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2008
        Hi Alison,

        Thank you for your reply. I am looking for Alexander Florence born in Auchterless and living with his brother in Peterhead in 1841. After this date I lost Alexander till I found his marriage in South Australia 1852 and I am trying to piece together his life between these two dates.

        Have tried all the shipping I can find in Australia of course could have missed his arrival but I have looked several times.

        Any help will be appreciated.

        Marie

      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2008
          Hi Marie,

          How much information there is about your ancestor may depend on
          whether or not he paid his way to Australia. My husband has done a
          lot of research on ancestors who emigrated to Australia in the mid
          19th century, and I understand that while there are plentiful records
          for convicts, and for people who came on one of the government-funded
          assisted passage schemes, the info available about those who paid
          their own way depends entirely on the captain of the ship on which he
          travelled. Some kept detailed records, but others merely recorded the
          number of first class, second class and steerage passengers and left
          it at that. If you have his death certificate, it should tell you how
          long he had lived in the colony (at least this is the case for NSW and
          Tasmanian death certs) and this MAY tell you when he immigrated into
          Australia. But if he moved around from one state to another, even that
          may not help.

          Mary Barnes

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@...
        • Gweneth Myers
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2008
            The Australian death certicates in Victoria also give the length of time a person lived in the Colony.
            Regards
            Gweneth Myers

            Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Marie Cooper
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2008
              I have been trying to find where Alexander Florence sailed from to Sth Australia. I have had several kind and helpful replies but unfortunately as he paid his own passage it is hard to find the ship or date
              of his arrival. I am trying to fill the gap between what I know of his birth and last place he was in Scotland 1841 Peterhead census and when he married Sth Australia 1852. The records for Sth Australia are not as helpful as Victoria's record keeping so this is the problem. Another way around it is anyone researching this family who were living in Peterhead around the early 1840's till 1860 or perhaps latter. What I have

              James Florence 41 blacksmith
              Mary Florence 34 wife
              George Florence 6yrs
              Mary Florence 10 yrs
              John Florence 12 yrs
              Alexander Florence 24

              Anyone researching this family I would be glad of any help and share what I have