Re: [Peterhead] Shipping

  • Marie Cooper
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2008
      One of my ancestors lived in Peterhead I have found him
      in 1841 but around 1850 or perhaps a little earlier he
      immigrated to South Australia.

      I am wondering if any ships sailed from Peterhead to
      Australia or would he have needed to go to Glasgow?

      Any help really appreciated.
      Marie

    • ALISON KENNEDY
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2008
        Hi Marie
        I believe that emigrating Scots left from various ports in Soctland and sometimes from England.  Main port in Scotland was Glasgow, and others used were Leith (Edinburgh), Aberdeen, Cromarty, Thurso, Shetland, & some of the ports on the Western Isles (Mull & Stornoway).  Whilst Peterhead boats were used from some of these ports I don't think that Peterhead itself was used for this kind of shipping.  What are the details and/or name of your ancestor in case someone else has any info to help you?
        Alison

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2008
          Hi Alison,

          Thank you for your reply. I am looking for Alexander Florence born in Auchterless and living with his brother in Peterhead in 1841. After this date I lost Alexander till I found his marriage in South Australia 1852 and I am trying to piece together his life between these two dates.

          Have tried all the shipping I can find in Australia of course could have missed his arrival but I have looked several times.

          Any help will be appreciated.

          Marie

        • Mary Barnes
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 14, 2008
            Hi Marie,

            How much information there is about your ancestor may depend on
            whether or not he paid his way to Australia. My husband has done a
            lot of research on ancestors who emigrated to Australia in the mid
            19th century, and I understand that while there are plentiful records
            for convicts, and for people who came on one of the government-funded
            assisted passage schemes, the info available about those who paid
            their own way depends entirely on the captain of the ship on which he
            travelled. Some kept detailed records, but others merely recorded the
            number of first class, second class and steerage passengers and left
            it at that. If you have his death certificate, it should tell you how
            long he had lived in the colony (at least this is the case for NSW and
            Tasmanian death certs) and this MAY tell you when he immigrated into
            Australia. But if he moved around from one state to another, even that
            may not help.

            Mary Barnes

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...
          • Gweneth Myers

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16, 2008
                I have been trying to find where Alexander Florence sailed from to Sth Australia. I have had several kind and helpful replies but unfortunately as he paid his own passage it is hard to find the ship or date
                of his arrival. I am trying to fill the gap between what I know of his birth and last place he was in Scotland 1841 Peterhead census and when he married Sth Australia 1852. The records for Sth Australia are not as helpful as Victoria's record keeping so this is the problem. Another way around it is anyone researching this family who were living in Peterhead around the early 1840's till 1860 or perhaps latter. What I have

                James Florence 41 blacksmith
                Mary Florence 34 wife
                George Florence 6yrs
                Mary Florence 10 yrs
                John Florence 12 yrs
                Alexander Florence 24

                Anyone researching this family I would be glad of any help and share what I have