Re: George Simpson Murray

  • scotnel4
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
      Hello Ken and Malcolm,

      Thank you so much for your input to my post - your replies make very
      interesting reading. I just wish I could find this George Murray's
      death record to confirm (or not) that he is my gg grandfather.

      Kind regards,
      Annette

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

      > Hello Nel,
      > George Simpson (shipmaster of "Traveller")and John Murray
      appear to have been very good friends hence John Murray calling his
      son George Simpson Murray and George Simpson having John Murray as
      witness to some of his childrens baptism.
      > Alexander Simpson Master of the "Eclipse" when she was lost in the
      ice in 1858 was George Simpson's youngest son.
      > Hope this is of some help.
      > Regards,Malcolm Simpson.
      > >
      > > From: "scotnel4" <NelMit4@...>
      > > Date: 2008/05/18 Sun PM 02:17:30 BST
      > > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [Peterhead] George Simpson Murray
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I've been reading your posts re Peterhead Whalers with great
      interest
      > > and enjoyment especially since the names Murray and Simpson keep
      > > cropping up..
      > >
      > > I'm hoping I may get some help here with one of my biggest 'brick
      > > walls'.
      > >
      > > My great grandfather, George Murray(1) was born at Peterhead on
      28th
      > > September 1854 to George Murray(2), a Merchant Seaman and Mary
      > > Davidson. George(2) and Mary were married at Peterhead on 8th
      > > December 1853.
      > > When George(1) married and also on his death entry he was named
      > > George Simpson Murray.
      > >
      > > I know all about Mary but nothing about George(2) as he never
      > > appeared on any census records with Mary and I have never found a
      > > death entry for him.
      > >
      > > There is one likely George Murray at Peterhead in 1841 living
      with
      > > mother Sarah Taylor and brothers William, John and Alexander.
      > > This George was registered as George Simpson Murray in 1831.
      > >
      > > William drowned at sea while serving on The Eclipse and his death
      was
      > > registered by The Master, Alexander Simpson.
      > > Alexander Murray died in 1859 at Peterhead poorhouse.
      > > Sarah died in 1887 at Peterhead poorhouse. She was the widow of
      John