Re: [Peterhead] George Simpson Murray

  • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2008
      Hello Nel,
      George Simpson (shipmaster of "Traveller")and John Murray appear to have been very good friends hence John Murray calling his son George Simpson Murray and George Simpson having John Murray as witness to some of his childrens baptism.
      Alexander Simpson Master of the "Eclipse" when she was lost in the ice in 1858 was George Simpson's youngest son.
      Hope this is of some help.
      Regards,Malcolm Simpson.

      > From: "scotnel4" <NelMit4@...>
      > Date: 2008/05/18 Sun PM 02:17:30 BST
      > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Peterhead] George Simpson Murray
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > I've been reading your posts re Peterhead Whalers with great interest
      > and enjoyment especially since the names Murray and Simpson keep
      > cropping up..
      >
      > I'm hoping I may get some help here with one of my biggest 'brick
      > walls'.
      >
      > My great grandfather, George Murray(1) was born at Peterhead on 28th
      > September 1854 to George Murray(2), a Merchant Seaman and Mary
      > Davidson. George(2) and Mary were married at Peterhead on 8th
      > December 1853.
      > When George(1) married and also on his death entry he was named
      > George Simpson Murray.
      >
      > I know all about Mary but nothing about George(2) as he never
      > appeared on any census records with Mary and I have never found a
      > death entry for him.
      >
      > There is one likely George Murray at Peterhead in 1841 living with
      > mother Sarah Taylor and brothers William, John and Alexander.
      > This George was registered as George Simpson Murray in 1831.
      >
      > William drowned at sea while serving on The Eclipse and his death was
      > registered by The Master, Alexander Simpson.
      > Alexander Murray died in 1859 at Peterhead poorhouse.
      > Sarah died in 1887 at Peterhead poorhouse. She was the widow of John
      > Murray, Ship Master and daughter of George Taylor, Ship Master.
      >
      > My gut feeling is that George Murray son of Sarah Taylor is my great
      > great grandfather but without his death entry I can never be sure.
      >
      > I'm hoping somebody will recognize these names (although I realize
      > Simpson and Murray were pretty common to Peterhead) and be able to
      > help even if it's only to eliminate this George as my gg grandfather.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Nel

    • Ken May
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
        Hi folks.
        I see a witness was George Milne. Would that be the George Milne of Hillhead o' Cocklaw?
        His daughter Jan(n)et Milne married John May.
        Regards
        Ken May

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
          Hello Ken and Malcolm,

          Thank you so much for your input to my post - your replies make very
          interesting reading. I just wish I could find this George Murray's
          death record to confirm (or not) that he is my gg grandfather.

          Kind regards,
          Annette