Re: George Simpson Murray

  • scotnel4
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20 3:26 PM
      Hello Catherine,

      Thank you so much for your reply to my post.

      I have the OPR record of the George born in 1831 but I've never seen
      the others showing John Murray. The Murray/Barclay combination is
      interesting too.

      I really am convinced this is my George Murray's father but without
      the proof of his death I will probably never know.

      Thanks again for taking the time to help.

      Kind regards,
      Nel

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Cci" <cci@...> wrote:

      > Hi Nel,
      > This might help you or might add more bricks to the wall. Your not
      alone, I'm standing infront of my own brick wall.

      > 1841 Peterhead census
      > Ls Peter's Street, Peterhead
      > John Murray, 30, Seaman, brn Aberdeenshire
      >
      > This is the record for George Simpson Murray.
      > John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son George Simpson
      > wit; William Saunders and Alexander Allan
      >
      > This is some baptism entries around the same time with a John
      Murray as a witness to other baptisms.

      > 14 Aug 1828 George Simpson, Ship master in Peterhead
      > a dau Eliza
      > wit; George Milne and Joh Murray
      >
      > 12 Aug 1830 George Simpson, Ship master in Peterhead
      > a son George
      > wit; George Milne and John Murray
      >
      > Johnns Grant, Seaman in Peterhead a dau Susan Volum
      > bap 2 June 1833
      > wit; John Murray and George Barclay
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Catherine

      John
      > Murray, Ship Master and daughter of George Taylor, Ship Master.
      >
      > My gut feeling is that George Murray son of Sarah Taylor is my
      great
      > great grandfather but without his death entry I can never be sure.
      >
      > I'm hoping somebody will recognize these names (although I
      realize
      > Simpson and Murray were pretty common to Peterhead) and be able
      > help even if it's only to eliminate this George as my gg
      grandfather.

      > Kind regards,
      > Nel

      5/17/2008 6:26 PM

    • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21 6:28 AM
        Hello Nel,
        George Simpson (shipmaster of "Traveller")and John Murray appear to have been very good friends hence John Murray calling his son George Simpson Murray and George Simpson having John Murray as witness to some of his childrens baptism.
        Alexander Simpson Master of the "Eclipse" when she was lost in the ice in 1858 was George Simpson's youngest son.
        Hope this is of some help.
        Regards,Malcolm Simpson.

        > From: "scotnel4" <NelMit4@...>
        > Date: 2008/05/18 Sun PM 02:17:30 BST
        > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [Peterhead] George Simpson Murray
        >
        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been reading your posts re Peterhead Whalers with great interest
        > and enjoyment especially since the names Murray and Simpson keep
        > cropping up..
        >
        > I'm hoping I may get some help here with one of my biggest 'brick
        > walls'.
        >
        > My great grandfather, George Murray(1) was born at Peterhead on 28th
        > September 1854 to George Murray(2), a Merchant Seaman and Mary
        > Davidson. George(2) and Mary were married at Peterhead on 8th
        > December 1853.
        > When George(1) married and also on his death entry he was named
        > George Simpson Murray.
        >
        > I know all about Mary but nothing about George(2) as he never
        > appeared on any census records with Mary and I have never found a
        > death entry for him.
        >
        > There is one likely George Murray at Peterhead in 1841 living with
        > mother Sarah Taylor and brothers William, John and Alexander.
        > This George was registered as George Simpson Murray in 1831.
        >
        > William drowned at sea while serving on The Eclipse and his death was
        > registered by The Master, Alexander Simpson.
        > Alexander Murray died in 1859 at Peterhead poorhouse.
        > Sarah died in 1887 at Peterhead poorhouse. She was the widow of John
        > Murray, Ship Master and daughter of George Taylor, Ship Master.
        >
        > My gut feeling is that George Murray son of Sarah Taylor is my great
        > great grandfather but without his death entry I can never be sure.
        >
        > I'm hoping somebody will recognize these names (although I realize
        > Simpson and Murray were pretty common to Peterhead) and be able to
        > help even if it's only to eliminate this George as my gg grandfather.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        > Nel

      • Ken May
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
          Hi folks.
          I see a witness was George Milne. Would that be the George Milne of Hillhead o' Cocklaw?
          His daughter Jan(n)et Milne married John May.
          Regards
          Ken May

[...]

          Checked by AVG.

        • scotnel4
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
            Hello Ken and Malcolm,

            Thank you so much for your input to my post - your replies make very
            interesting reading. I just wish I could find this George Murray's
            death record to confirm (or not) that he is my gg grandfather.

            Kind regards,
            Annette