Re: [Peterhead] St Peter's Cemetery

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 27, 2008
      Hello Colin;
      My family also placed a new stone on my grandparents' grave in the Constitution Street Cemetery which is better looked after than the upper part of St Peter's.
      Before I did the work in both these cemeteries, I went in to talk to the manager of the local cemetery in my home town. I wanted to know who had the responsibility and what approval I needed to contract for the work.
      The manager here indicated that they had had some serious vandalism where someone had broken a large number of old marble stones with something like a baseball bat. It is next to impossible to trace the family on some of these old graves so the cemetery board took the responsibility as theirs. They obviously could not leave 20 or so stones lying broken on the ground forever. They sent out for quotes to the local monument companies and were surprised when they got back the response that the cost of repair would be $0. There are more good people than bad in the world, thank heavens.
      I still think we should form a "Friends of St Peter's Cemetery" group.
      Regards
      William
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 27, 2008
        I went to Peterhead recently and looked for my grandfather's grave in
        the Constitution Street cemetary. I got the lair number and set off
        to look for the plot. When eventually found it was shocked to find
        that there was no stone. I'm sure there must have been one because he
        was a well known person- I found articles in the Buchan Observer
        about his illness and death and also an account of his funeral which
        seems to have been attended by most of the town. I'd like to find out
        what happened to the stone, and I would also like to get a new one
        when the lottery win comes along. Does anyone know if records are
        kept with details of headstones or of damage to them - I know this is
        hghly unlkely! My grandfather's name was Charles Duncan Rice and he
        was Rector of Peterhead Academy. He died in 1931.

        Thanks,
        Kathy

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "pleslie23" <william.leslie@...>
        wrote:

        > I have finally sat down to review the CD from the Family History
        > Society of Buchan. It is a good job. One set of my great
        grandparents
        > and great grandparents, Rankins, are in Lair E63. You will notice
        > that this monument is easily readable and in good shape excpt for
        the
        > Urn missing from the top.
        > In 1996 two of my Peterhead aunts took me to this cemetery and
        showed
        > me this monument. The top stone cover and the urn were lying on the
        > ground and had obviously been broken off by vandals. One aunt
        > said,"When I win the Lottery, I will egt this fixed." Well, I
        > thought, does it cost that much that you have to win a lottery to
        get
        > it fixed. I contacted Robertson Memorials and got a quote to clean
        > the stone, redo the lettering and replace the top and the urn. By
        the
        > time I next saw it, the urn had disappeared.
        > Many of my family, including newly discovered cousins in Buffalo
        NY,
        > pitched in and robertsons did the repairs in 2004.
        > I was in Peterhead in 2005 and visited st Peter's to see the job.
        On
        > different days I walked all over that cemetery looking for the urn
        > and picking up garbage, chip bags, drink cans cigarette packages,
        > etc. but never found it. I did have an idea to go looking in all
        the
        > backyards nearby to see if I could see it but abandonned that idea.
        > When I first thought about repairing this stone, I talked to
        > officials of the Aberdeenshire government to find out whether they
        > would repair vandalism damage in this old and historically valuable
        > cemetery. It seems that no one has this responsibility. They
        readily
        > gave me permission to go ahead and do it, however.I was thankful
        for
        > this. In my several visits to St Peter's I was apalled by the
        amount
        > of vandalism damage and other sheer neglect that is evident in the
        > upper and older area of this historic site.
        > Having had much experience in my country with the power of groups
        of
        > ordinary citizens to get things done when officials cannot, I
        thought
        > that someone should form a FRIENDS OF ST PETER'S CEMETERY group.
        This
        > group, drawn from those of us who have family buried there, would
        > work with officials to keep the cemetery clean, raise funds to
        repair
        > monuments where possible and otherwise look after this holy ground
        > where our ancestors lie. Would this not be a great project for the
        > Family history Society of Buchan to undertake?
        > Regards
        > William Leslie

      • Henderson, Roy
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 27, 2008
          Hi Kathy,

          Firstly, are you CERTAIN you found the correct location? It might just
          be worth checking that the stones on either side do match with the lair
          records.

          Secondly, would your grandfather have had local family surviving him?
          There's always a slight chance that if there were no local relatives
          then no stone might have been erected.

          Thirdly, given his position, it might have been the intention to fund a
          memorial from public subscription which may never have been concluded.

          Finally, I would not have expected a stone to disappear completely from
          Constitution St over the last 80 years. Damage in that cemetery is rare
          and any broken stone would probably have been left in situ albeit not
          left standing.

          Have you any plans to return?

          Regards,

          Roy

          ________________________________

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          "pleslie23" <william.leslie@...>
          wrote:

          > I have finally sat down to review the CD from the Family History
          > Society of Buchan. It is a good job. One set of my great
          grandparents
          > and great grandparents, Rankins, are in Lair E63. You will notice
          > that this monument is easily readable and in good shape excpt for
          the
          > Urn missing from the top.
          > In 1996 two of my Peterhead aunts took me to this cemetery and
          showed
          > me this monument. The top stone cover and the urn were lying on the
          > ground and had obviously been broken off by vandals. One aunt
          > said,"When I win the Lottery, I will egt this fixed." Well, I
          > thought, does it cost that much that you have to win a lottery to
          get
          > it fixed. I contacted Robertson Memorials and got a quote to clean
          > the stone, redo the lettering and replace the top and the urn. By
          the
          > time I next saw it, the urn had disappeared.
          > Many of my family, including newly discovered cousins in Buffalo
          NY,
          > pitched in and robertsons did the repairs in 2004.
          > I was in Peterhead in 2005 and visited st Peter's to see the job.
          On
          > different days I walked all over that cemetery looking for the urn
          > and picking up garbage, chip bags, drink cans cigarette packages,
          > etc. but never found it. I did have an idea to go looking in all
          the
          > backyards nearby to see if I could see it but abandonned that idea.
          > When I first thought about repairing this stone, I talked to
          > officials of the Aberdeenshire government to find out whether they
          > would repair vandalism damage in this old and historically valuable
          > cemetery. It seems that no one has this responsibility. They
          readily
          > gave me permission to go ahead and do it, however.I was thankful
          for
          > this. In my several visits to St Peter's I was apalled by the
          amount
          > of vandalism damage and other sheer neglect that is evident in the
          > upper and older area of this historic site.
          > Having had much experience in my country with the power of groups
          of
          > ordinary citizens to get things done when officials cannot, I
          thought
          > that someone should form a FRIENDS OF ST PETER'S CEMETERY group.
          This
          > group, drawn from those of us who have family buried there, would
          > work with officials to keep the cemetery clean, raise funds to
          repair
          > monuments where possible and otherwise look after this holy ground
          > where our ancestors lie. Would this not be a great project for the
          > Family history Society of Buchan to undertake?
          > Regards
          > William Leslie

          ===============================
          CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

          of this communication or message.

        • Kathy Trevelyan
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 27, 2008
            Hi Roy,

            I'm sure I found the right lair as I enlisted the help of a stonemason who was carving a headstone in the cemetery! Charles was survived by his wife and several children and her family were well off, so it could not have been lack of funds. I think it's possible that a public subscription would have been planned - do you think the Buchan Observer would mention this ? I will have to come back up and look through the archives, but goodness knows when I'll be able to get there! I don't suppose the Buchan Observer is available online is it? I've googled it, but no luck.

            Thanks for your thoughts,
            Kathy

            To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: roy.henderson@...: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:19:12 +0100Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's Cemetery

            Hi Kathy,Firstly, are you CERTAIN you found the correct location? It might justbe worth checking that the stones on either side do match with the lairrecords.Secondly, would your grandfather have had local family surviving him?There's always a slight chance that if there were no local relativesthen no stone might have been erected.Thirdly, given his position, it might have been the intention to fund amemorial from public subscription which may never have been concluded.Finally, I would not have expected a stone to disappear completely fromConstitution St over the last 80 years. Damage in that cemetery is rareand any broken stone would probably have been left in situ albeit notleft standing.Have you any plans to return?Regards,Roy________________________________From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of kathytrevelyanSent: 27 April 2008 19:00To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comSubject: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's CemeteryI went to Peterhead recently and looked for my grandfather's grave in the Constitution Street cemetary. I got the lair number and set off to look for the plot. When eventually found it was shocked to find that there was no stone. I'm sure there must have been one because he was a well known person- I found articles in the Buchan Observer about his illness and death and also an account of his funeral which seems to have been attended by most of the town. I'd like to find out what happened to the stone, and I would also like to get a new one when the lottery win comes along. Does anyone know if records are kept with details of headstones or of damage to them - I know this is hghly unlkely! My grandfather's name was Charles Duncan Rice and he was Rector of Peterhead Academy. He died in 1931.Thanks,Kathy--- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ,"pleslie23" <william.leslie@...> wrote:>> I have finally sat down to review the CD from the Family History > Society of Buchan. It is a good job. One set of my great grandparents > and great grandparents, Rankins, are in Lair E63. You will notice > that this monument is easily readable and in good shape excpt for the > Urn missing from the top.> In 1996 two of my Peterhead aunts took me to this cemetery and showed > me this monument. The top stone cover and the urn were lying on the > ground and had obviously been broken off by vandals. One aunt > said,"When I win the Lottery, I will egt this fixed." Well, I > thought, does it cost that much that you have to win a lottery to get > it fixed. I contacted Robertson Memorials and got a quote to clean > the stone, redo the lettering and replace the top and the urn. By the > time I next saw it, the urn had disappeared.> Many of my family, including newly discovered cousins in Buffalo NY, > pitched in and robertsons did the repairs in 2004.> I was in Peterhead in 2005 and visited st Peter's to see the job. On > different days I walked all over that cemetery looking for the urn > and picking up garbage, chip bags, drink cans cigarette packages, > etc. but never found it. I did have an idea to go looking in all the > backyards nearby to see if I could see it but abandonned that idea.> When I first thought about repairing this stone, I talked to > officials of the Aberdeenshire government to find out whether they > would repair vandalism damage in this old and historically valuable > cemetery. It seems that no one has this responsibility. They readily > gave me permission to go ahead and do it, however.I was thankful for > this. In my several visits to St Peter's I was apalled by the amount > of vandalism damage and other sheer neglect that is evident in the > upper and older area of this historic site. > Having had much experience in my country with the power of groups of > ordinary citizens to get things done when officials cannot, I thought > that someone should form a FRIENDS OF ST PETER'S CEMETERY group. This > group, drawn from those of us who have family buried there, would > work with officials to keep the cemetery clean, raise funds to repair > monuments where possible and otherwise look after this holy ground > where our ancestors lie. Would this not be a great project for the > Family history Society of Buchan to undertake?> Regards> William Leslie>===============================CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein. If you are not the intended recipient,please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use, or the consequences of any unauthorized use,of this communication or message.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Henderson, Roy
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
              I am sure the Buchan Observer would have made mention of any public
              subscription Kathy. I don't think editions from the 1930s are available
              online - some from the last couple of years are. They are available on
              microfilm at the library in Peterhead. It does seem strange that someone
              so prominent (then) in the local community does not have any memorial.

              I believe the FHSB is giving some thought to a project to scan the
              Buchan Observer using current technology as a precursor to perhaps
              eventually making it available to those outwith the local area - however
              that is still very much at the embryonic stage just now and has not yet
              even been adopted as a formal project as far as I know.

              Did your grandfather die in-post or following retirement?

              Regards,

              Roy

              ________________________________

              I'm sure I found the right lair as I enlisted the help of a stonemason
              who was carving a headstone in the cemetery! Charles was survived by his
              wife and several children and her family were well off, so it could not
              have been lack of funds. I think it's possible that a public
              subscription would have been planned - do you think the Buchan Observer
              would mention this ? I will have to come back up and look through the
              archives, but goodness knows when I'll be able to get there! I don't
              suppose the Buchan Observer is available online is it? I've googled it,
              but no luck.

              Thanks for your thoughts,
              Kathy

              To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom
              <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comFrom> :
              roy.henderson@...
              <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.comDate> : Sun, 27 Apr 2008
              20:19:12 +0100Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's Cemetery

              [mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ]
              OnBehalf Of kathytrevelyanSent: 27 April 2008 19:00To:
              Peterhead@yahoogroups.comSubject
              <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comSubject> : [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's

            • colin collie
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                Hi William
                If you are forming a friends of St. Peters Cemetery group let me know as I would be quite interested.
                Colin

                To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: william.leslie@...: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:36:18 -0400Subject: Re: [Peterhead] St Peter's Cemetery

                Hello Colin;My family also placed a new stone on my grandparents' grave in the Constitution Street Cemetery which is better looked after than the upper part of St Peter's.Before I did the work in both these cemeteries, I went in to talk to the manager of the local cemetery in my home town. I wanted to know who had the responsibility and what approval I needed to contract for the work.The manager here indicated that they had had some serious vandalism where someone had broken a large number of old marble stones with something like a baseball bat. It is next to impossible to trace the family on some of these old graves so the cemetery board took the responsibility as theirs. They obviously could not leave 20 or so stones lying broken on the ground forever. They sent out for quotes to the local monument companies and were surprised when they got back the response that the cost of repair would be $0. There are more good people than bad in the world, thank heavens.I still think we should form a "Friends of St Peter's Cemetery" group. RegardsWilliam----- Original Message ----- From: colin collie To: peterhead@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:59 AMSubject: RE: [Peterhead] St Peter's CemeteryHiIt is not only the graveyard but the whole area the beach was disgrace the last time I was up, my father was in charge of the lido now the maritine exhibition centre and before he left at night he picked up every bit rubbish there was and emptied the litter bins which the people used not like those today who have no regard for people property etc. He would turn in his grave if he saw it now. The whole town is untidy with litter we had scaffies cleaning the streets although there was not the thoughtlessness that seems to run today.Sorry for going on but it annoys me so much.ColinTo: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: william.leslie@...: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:32:46 +0000Subject: [Peterhead] St Peter's CemeteryI have finally sat down to review the CD from the Family History Society of Buchan. It is a good job. One set of my great grandparents and great grandparents, Rankins, are in Lair E63. You will notice that this monument is easily readable and in good shape excpt for the Urn missing from the top.In 1996 two of my Peterhead aunts took me to this cemetery and showed me this monument. The top stone cover and the urn were lying on the ground and had obviously been broken off by vandals. One aunt said,"When I win the Lottery, I will egt this fixed." Well, I thought, does it cost that much that you have to win a lottery to get it fixed. I contacted Robertson Memorials and got a quote to clean the stone, redo the lettering and replace the top and the urn. By the time I next saw it, the urn had disappeared.Many of my family, including newly discovered cousins in Buffalo NY, pitched in and robertsons did the repairs in 2004.I was in Peterhead in 2005 and visited st Peter's to see the job. On different days I walked all over that cemetery looking for the urn and picking up garbage, chip bags, drink cans cigarette packages, etc. but never found it. I did have an idea to go looking in all the backyards nearby to see if I could see it but abandonned that idea.When I first thought about repairing this stone, I talked to officials of the Aberdeenshire government to find out whether they would repair vandalism damage in this old and historically valuable cemetery. It seems that no one has this responsibility. They readily gave me permission to go ahead and do it, however.I was thankful for this. In my several visits to St Peter's I was apalled by the amount of vandalism damage and other sheer neglect that is evident in the upper and older area of this historic site. Having had much experience in my country with the power of groups of ordinary citizens to get things done when officials cannot, I thought that someone should form a FRIENDS OF ST PETER'S CEMETERY group. This group, drawn from those of us who have family buried there, would work with officials to keep the cemetery clean, raise funds to repair monuments where possible and otherwise look after this holy ground where our ancestors lie. Would this not be a great project for the Family history Society of Buchan to undertake?RegardsWilliam Leslie [Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

              • keithbaigrie
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "pleslie23" <william.leslie@...> wrote:

                  > I have finally sat down to review the CD from the Family History
                  > Society of Buchan. It is a good job. One set of my great grandparents
                  > and great grandparents, Rankins, are in Lair E63. You will notice
                  > that this monument is easily readable and in good shape excpt for the
                  > Urn missing from the top.
                  > In 1996 two of my Peterhead aunts took me to this cemetery and showed
                  > me this monument. The top stone cover and the urn were lying on the
                  > ground and had obviously been broken off by vandals. One aunt
                  > said,"When I win the Lottery, I will egt this fixed." Well, I
                  > thought, does it cost that much that you have to win a lottery to get
                  > it fixed. I contacted Robertson Memorials and got a quote to clean
                  > the stone, redo the lettering and replace the top and the urn. By the
                  > time I next saw it, the urn had disappeared.
                  > Many of my family, including newly discovered cousins in Buffalo NY,
                  > pitched in and robertsons did the repairs in 2004.
                  > I was in Peterhead in 2005 and visited st Peter's to see the job. On
                  > different days I walked all over that cemetery looking for the urn
                  > and picking up garbage, chip bags, drink cans cigarette packages,
                  > etc. but never found it. I did have an idea to go looking in all the
                  > backyards nearby to see if I could see it but abandonned that idea.
                  > When I first thought about repairing this stone, I talked to
                  > officials of the Aberdeenshire government to find out whether they
                  > would repair vandalism damage in this old and historically valuable
                  > cemetery. It seems that no one has this responsibility. They readily
                  > gave me permission to go ahead and do it, however.I was thankful for
                  > this. In my several visits to St Peter's I was apalled by the amount
                  > of vandalism damage and other sheer neglect that is evident in the
                  > upper and older area of this historic site.
                  > Having had much experience in my country with the power of groups of
                  > ordinary citizens to get things done when officials cannot, I thought
                  > that someone should form a FRIENDS OF ST PETER'S CEMETERY group. This
                  > group, drawn from those of us who have family buried there, would
                  > work with officials to keep the cemetery clean, raise funds to repair
                  > monuments where possible and otherwise look after this holy ground
                  > where our ancestors lie. Would this not be a great project for the
                  > Family history Society of Buchan to undertake?
                  > Regards
                  > William Leslie

                • William Leslie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                    Hello Colin;

                    I will let you know if something comes about but I still think that this
                    would be a good project for the FSHB. It could be an annual outing, like the
                    day of the dead where people would go to visit their dead ancestors and have
                    a picnic in the cemetery and clean it up at the same time.

                    Regards

                    William

                    _____

                    If you are forming a friends of St. Peters Cemetery group let me know as I
                    would be quite interested.
                    Colin

                    To: Peterhead@yahoogrou <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comFrom> ps.comFrom:
                    william.leslie@ <mailto:william.leslie%40sympatico.caDate> sympatico.caDate:
                    Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:36:18 -0400Subject: Re: [Peterhead] St Peter's Cemetery

                    peterhead@yahoogrou <mailto:peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com Sent:
                    Peterhead@yahoogrou <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comFrom> ps.comFrom:

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                      Hello again,

                      he died when he was only 58 and, as far as I know, he was still in post at the time. It was actually 1930 when he died, not 1931 as I mistyped earlier. It would be really useful to have the Buchan Observer online, but it sounds like a mammoth task! It was in the Peterhead Library microfilm that I found the details of his illness, death and funeral. At the time I didn't think to go back and look for any further information after I found there was no headstone. His son John, who died aged just 13 is also in the same lair - also unmarked. I wonder if there is any centralised archive in London that has Scottish Newspapers on microfilm? I know many English ones are available. I'll try and find out, wish me luck!

                      Thanks
                      Kathy

                      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: roy.henderson@...: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:19:26 +0100Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's Cemetery

                      I am sure the Buchan Observer would have made mention of any publicsubscription Kathy. I don't think editions from the 1930s are availableonline - some from the last couple of years are. They are available onmicrofilm at the library in Peterhead. It does seem strange that someoneso prominent (then) in the local community does not have any memorial.I believe the FHSB is giving some thought to a project to scan theBuchan Observer using current technology as a precursor to perhapseventually making it available to those outwith the local area - howeverthat is still very much at the embryonic stage just now and has not yeteven been adopted as a formal project as far as I know.Did your grandfather die in-post or following retirement?Regards,Roy________________________________From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of Kathy TrevelyanSent: 27 April 2008 20:29To: peterhead@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's CemeteryHi Roy,I'm sure I found the right lair as I enlisted the help of a stonemasonwho was carving a headstone in the cemetery! Charles was survived by hiswife and several children and her family were well off, so it could nothave been lack of funds. I think it's possible that a publicsubscription would have been planned - do you think the Buchan Observerwould mention this ? I will have to come back up and look through thearchives, but goodness knows when I'll be able to get there! I don'tsuppose the Buchan Observer is available online is it? I've googled it,but no luck.Thanks for your thoughts,KathyTo: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom<mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comFrom> :roy.henderson@...<mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.comDate> : Sun, 27 Apr 200820:19:12 +0100Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's CemeteryHi Kathy,Firstly, are you CERTAIN you found the correct location? Itmight justbe worth checking that the stones on either side do match withthe lairrecords.Secondly, would your grandfather have had local familysurviving him?There's always a slight chance that if there were no localrelativesthen no stone might have been erected.Thirdly, given hisposition, it might have been the intention to fund amemorial from publicsubscription which may never have been concluded.Finally, I would nothave expected a stone to disappear completely fromConstitution St overthe last 80 years. Damage in that cemetery is rareand any broken stonewould probably have been left in situ albeit notleft standing.Have youany plans to return?Regards,Roy________________________________From:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ]OnBehalf Of kathytrevelyanSent: 27 April 2008 19:00To:Peterhead@yahoogroups.comSubject<mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comSubject> : [Peterhead] Re: St Peter'sCemeteryI went to Peterhead recently and looked for my grandfather'sgrave in the Constitution Street cemetary. I got the lair number and setoff to look for the plot. When eventually found it was shocked to findthat there was no stone. I'm sure there must have been one because hewas a well known person- I found articles in the Buchan Observer abouthis illness and death and also an account of his funeral which seems tohave been attended by most of the town. I'd like to find out whathappened to the stone, and I would also like to get a new one when thelottery win comes along. Does anyone know if records are kept withdetails of headstones or of damage to them - I know this is hghlyunlkely! My grandfather's name was Charles Duncan Rice and he was Rectorof Peterhead Academy. He died in 1931.Thanks,Kathy--- InPeterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ,"pleslie23" <william.leslie@...>wrote:>> I have finally sat down to review the CD from the FamilyHistory > Society of Buchan. It is a good job. One set of my greatgrandparents > and great grandparents, Rankins, are in Lair E63. Youwill notice > that this monument is easily readable and in good shapeexcpt for the > Urn missing from the top.> In 1996 two of my Peterheadaunts took me to this cemetery and showed > me this monument. The topstone cover and the urn were lying on the > ground and had obviouslybeen broken off by vandals. One aunt > said,"When I win the Lottery, Iwill egt this fixed." Well, I > thought, does it cost that much that youhave to win a lottery to get > it fixed. I contacted Robertson Memorialsand got a quote to clean > the stone, redo the lettering and replace thetop and the urn. By the > time I next saw it, the urn had disappeared.>Many of my family, including newly discovered cousins in Buffalo NY, >pitched in and robertsons did the repairs in 2004.> I was in Peterheadin 2005 and visited st Peter's to see the job. On > different days Iwalked all over that cemetery looking for the urn > and picking upgarbage, chip bags, drink cans cigarette packages, > etc. but neverfound it. I did have an idea to go looking in all the > backyards nearbyto see if I could see it but abandonned that idea.> When I first thoughtabout repairing this stone, I talked to > officials of the Aberdeenshiregovernment to find out whether they > would repair vandalism damage inthis old and historically valuable > cemetery. It seems that no one hasthis responsibility. They readily > gave me permission to go ahead anddo it, however.I was thankful for > this. In my several visits to StPeter's I was apalled by the amount > of vandalism damage and othersheer neglect that is evident in the > upper and older area of thishistoric site. > Having had much experience in my country with the powerof groups of > ordinary citizens to get things done when officialscannot, I thought > that someone should form a FRIENDS OF ST PETER'SCEMETERY group. This > group, drawn from those of us who have familyburied there, would > work with officials to keep the cemetery clean,raise funds to repair > monuments where possible and otherwise lookafter this holy ground > where our ancestors lie. Would this not be agreat project for the > Family history Society of Buchan to undertake?>Regards> William Leslie>===============================CONFIDENTIAL &PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION The information contained in this message isprivileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. This message isintended for the individual or entity addressed herein. If you are notthe intended recipient,please do not read, copy, use or disclose thiscommunication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying tothis message, and then delete it from your system. The sender totallydisclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for theunauthorized use, or the consequences of any unauthorized use,of thiscommunication or message.[Non-text portions of this message have beenremoved] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]===============================CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein. If you are not the intended recipient,please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use, or the consequences of any unauthorized use,of this communication or message.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                    • M La Rooij
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                        Hi,
                        Have you tried the Colindale library in London? They have a wdie coverage of British newspapers so presume that will include Scottish.

                        Marion

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
                          Scanning the Buchan Observer archives would certainly not be a trivial
                          project Kathy! I've done a few quick calculations based upon some
                          conservative estimates and I'm coming up with 8 years' effort.

                          Throw some volunteer resource at the project to progress it in parallel
                          stages and you could probably bring it down to 3 - 4 years elapsed time.
                          Secure funding to actually recruit resource and it could probably be
                          brought down to a couple of years.

                          That's based upon scanning the original printed version of course.

                          So ... if anyone has a few years to spare and a lot of patience ...

                          :-)

                          To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom
                          <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comFrom> :
                          roy.henderson@...
                          <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.comDate> : Mon, 28 Apr 2008
                          11:19:26 +0100Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's Cemetery

[...]
                          <mailto:peterhead%40yahoogroups.comSubject> : RE: [Peterhead] Re: St
                          InPeterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:InPeterhead%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

                        • Anne Allan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
                            I have been following this thread with interest. It is perhaps something
                            that the FHSB could look at organising. We can discuss it at our next
                            committee meeting. It would be valuable to know how many people on this
                            list would be interesting in joining such a group, and whether they
                            would be available to help if a date was set to do a tidy up as suggested..

                            Anne
                          • Kathy Trevelyan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
                              Marion, thank you! I have just looked at the Colindale website and they do indeed have the Buchan Observer! I'm going to try and get there in the next couple of weeks.
                              Thanks again,
                              Kathy

                              To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: mlarooij@...: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:45:27 +1200Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's Cemetery

                              Hi,Have you tried the Colindale library in London? They have a wdie coverage of British newspapers so presume that will include Scottish.Marion----- Original Message ----- From: Kathy Trevelyan To: peterhead@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:18 AMSubject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's CemeteryHello again,he died when he was only 58 and, as far as I know, he was still in post at the time. It was actually 1930 when he died, not 1931 as I mistyped earlier. It would be really useful to have the Buchan Observer online, but it sounds like a mammoth task! It was in the Peterhead Library microfilm that I found the details of his illness, death and funeral. At the time I didn't think to go back and look for any further information after I found there was no headstone. His son John, who died aged just 13 is also in the same lair - also unmarked. I wonder if there is any centralised archive in London that has Scottish Newspapers on microfilm? I know many English ones are available. I'll try and find out, wish me luck!Thanks KathyTo: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: roy.henderson@...: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:19:26 +0100Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's CemeteryI am sure the Buchan Observer would have made mention of any publicsubscription Kathy. I don't think editions from the 1930s are availableonline - some from the last couple of years are. They are available onmicrofilm at the library in Peterhead. It does seem strange that someoneso prominent (then) in the local community does not have any memorial.I believe the FHSB is giving some thought to a project to scan theBuchan Observer using current technology as a precursor to perhapseventually making it available to those outwith the local area - howeverthat is still very much at the embryonic stage just now and has not yeteven been adopted as a formal project as far as I know.Did your grandfather die in-post or following retirement?Regards,Roy________________________________From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of Kathy TrevelyanSent: 27 April 2008 20:29To: peterhead@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's CemeteryHi Roy,I'm sure I found the right lair as I enlisted the help of a stonemasonwho was carving a headstone in the cemetery! Charles was survived by hiswife and several children and her family were well off, so it could nothave been lack of funds. I think it's possible that a publicsubscription would have been planned - do you think the Buchan Observerwould mention this ? I will have to come back up and look through thearchives, but goodness knows when I'll be able to get there! I don'tsuppose the Buchan Observer is available online is it? I've googled it,but no luck.Thanks for your thoughts,KathyTo: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom<mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comFrom> :roy.henderson@...<mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.comDate> : Sun, 27 Apr 200820:19:12 +0100Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: St Peter's CemeteryHi Kathy,Firstly, are you CERTAIN you found the correct location? Itmight justbe worth checking that the stones on either side do match withthe lairrecords.Secondly, would your grandfather have had local familysurviving him?There's always a slight chance that if there were no localrelativesthen no stone might have been erected.Thirdly, given hisposition, it might have been the intention to fund amemorial from publicsubscription which may never have been concluded.Finally, I would nothave expected a stone to disappear completely fromConstitution St overthe last 80 years. Damage in that cemetery is rareand any broken stonewould probably have been left in situ albeit notleft standing.Have youany plans to return?Regards,Roy________________________________From:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ]OnBehalf Of kathytrevelyanSent: 27 April 2008 19:00To:Peterhead@yahoogroups.comSubject<mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.comSubject> : [Peterhead] Re: St Peter'sCemeteryI went to Peterhead recently and looked for my grandfather'sgrave in the Constitution Street cemetary. I got the lair number and setoff to look for the plot. When eventually found it was shocked to findthat there was no stone. I'm sure there must have been one because hewas a well known person- I found articles in the Buchan Observer abouthis illness and death and also an account of his funeral which seems tohave been attended by most of the town. I'd like to find out whathappened to the stone, and I would also like to get a new one when thelottery win comes along. Does anyone know if records are kept withdetails of headstones or of damage to them - I know this is hghlyunlkely! My grandfather's name was Charles Duncan Rice and he was Rectorof Peterhead Academy. He died in 1931.Thanks,Kathy--- InPeterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ,"pleslie23" <william.leslie@...>wrote:>> I have finally sat down to review the CD from the FamilyHistory > Society of Buchan. It is a good job. One set of my greatgrandparents > and great grandparents, Rankins, are in Lair E63. Youwill notice > that this monument is easily readable and in good shapeexcpt for the > Urn missing from the top.> In 1996 two of my Peterheadaunts took me to this cemetery and showed > me this monument. The topstone cover and the urn were lying on the > ground and had obviouslybeen broken off by vandals. One aunt > said,"When I win the Lottery, Iwill egt this fixed." Well, I > thought, does it cost that much that youhave to win a lottery to get > it fixed. I contacted Robertson Memorialsand got a quote to clean > the stone, redo the lettering and replace thetop and the urn. By the > time I next saw it, the urn had disappeared.>Many of my family, including newly discovered cousins in Buffalo NY, >pitched in and robertsons did the repairs in 2004.> I was in Peterheadin 2005 and visited st Peter's to see the job. On > different days Iwalked all over that cemetery looking for the urn > and picking upgarbage, chip bags, drink cans cigarette packages, > etc. but neverfound it. I did have an idea to go looking in all the > backyards nearbyto see if I could see it but abandonned that idea.> When I first thoughtabout repairing this stone, I talked to > officials of the Aberdeenshiregovernment to find out whether they > would repair vandalism damage inthis old and historically valuable > cemetery. It seems that no one hasthis responsibility. They readily > gave me permission to go ahead anddo it, however.I was thankful for > this. In my several visits to StPeter's I was apalled by the amount > of vandalism damage and othersheer neglect that is evident in the > upper and older area of thishistoric site. > Having had much experience in my country with the powerof groups of > ordinary citizens to get things done when officialscannot, I thought > that someone should form a FRIENDS OF ST PETER'SCEMETERY group. This > group, drawn from those of us who have familyburied there, would > work with officials to keep the cemetery clean,raise funds to repair > monuments where possible and otherwise lookafter this holy ground > where our ancestors lie. Would this not be agreat project for the > Family history Society of Buchan to undertake?>Regards> William Leslie>===============================CONFIDENTIAL &PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION The information contained in this message isprivileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. This message isintended for the individual or entity addressed herein. If you are notthe intended recipient,please do not read, copy, use or disclose thiscommunication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying tothis message, and then delete it from your system. The sender totallydisclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for theunauthorized use, or the consequences of any unauthorized use,of thiscommunication or message.[Non-text portions of this message have beenremoved] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]===============================CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein. If you are not the intended recipient,please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use, or the consequences of any unauthorized use,of this communication or message.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                            • M La Rooij
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
                                Great! It's so long since I thought of them I forgot they might have a website!!

                                Marion

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 3, 2008
                                  I would be interested in helping with a tidy up.