Re: [Peterhead] Peterhead Leslie's

  • COLIN LESLIE
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
      Mary

      Thank you for the information. I had read that a John Leslie became Sheriff Officer but you have now made the connection to one of my John Leslies (Nathaniel's brother).

      As you say, it looks like Nathaniel left Peterhead before 1851 to go to sea and is only picked up again by a census in 1881 when he was very ill and living in Rora with his sisters. I do have information about one of his voyages in the Arabia in 1871 and his marriage to Ann Wright in Kensington in 1872. I also know he had a house in Middleton One Row near Darlington where Ann and his son lived although he was also part owner of the ship Nereus with the Caird brothers in Greenock when he died. It seems I need to follow Nathaniel up outside of Peterhead.

      Judging by the old maps I assume Jamaica Street was a fairly wealthy part of Peterhead in the early 19th Century. If this is the case and the family was fairly wealthy I would hope that it would be safe to assume that my Leslie's were well established in the Fish Curing business and are probably the family referred to in Pigot's Directory and the Leslie of Scott & Leslie in 1871. I can't see any other Leslies in peterhead that fit the bill. Do you know if 5 Maiden Street was also a wealthy part of Peterhead at that time or does the move from Jamaica Street represent a drop in the family's standing and fortunes? It it does then that might explain why he needed to take a partner.

      It doesn't look as if John married or had any children. I know from the 1841 Census that he had two other brothers William (born abt 1821) and Robert (born abt 1826) and two other sisters, Jean/Jane (born abt 1821) and Charlotte (born 1830) so I will start to trace their descendants. I believe Charlotte married John Buchan in Peterhead on 11th August 1856.

      If you come across anything else around the Leslie's in Peterhead I would be very interested.

      Thanks again

      Colin Leslie

      Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:
      Hi, Welcome to the group.

      The name Leslie associated with fish curing rang a bell with me, so I
      checked in A.R. Buchan's booklet "Fishing out of Peterhead", published
      by the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society in 1986.

      Later in the 19th century, there was a firm of fish curers calls Scott
      & Leslie. Would they be connected with your family? I find them listed
      in the roup roll of herring curing stations on the Peterhead quays in
      both 1877 and 1879:
      In 1877:
      Station number on plan 26, Area in sq yards 389, Rent paid £18.
      Station number on plan 24, Area in sq yards 273, Rent paid £34.
      In 1889:
      Station number on plan 26, Area in sq yards 389, Rent paid £9 14/6
      Station number on plan 24 & 25, Area in sq yards 661, Rent paid £16
      10/6.
      They are not listed in 1894, the only other year for Buchan gives
      details, but there is a J.J.Scott.

      I also had a quick look at the census records, where I found the
      Leslie family still in Jamaica Street. The father John is missing, so
      presumably he has died:

      Name, Age, Relation to head, Occupation, Birthplace
      John Leslie, 41, Head, Cooper and Fishcurer, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
      Isabella Leslie, 63, Mother, Annuitant, Ellon, Aberdeenshire
      Jane Leslie, 30, Sister, Schoolmistress (english), Peterhead,
      Aberdeenshire
      Margaret Leslie, 26, Sister, Schoolmistress (english), Peterhead,
      Aberdeenshire
      Mary Leslie, 21, Sister, Schoolmistress (english), Peterhead,
      Aberdeenshire

      By 1860, what looks like the same family is living at 5 Maiden Street:

      Name, Age, Relation to head, Occupation, Birthplace
      John Leslie, 50, Head, Sherriff Officer, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
      Isabella Leslie, 73, Mother, no occupation given, Ellon, Aberdeenshire
      Margaret Leslie, 33, Sister, Schoolmistrus, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
      Mamarth Gavin, 14, Niece, Scholar, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
      (spelling is as given in the transcription by Ancestry).

      By 1871, John Leslie, age 61, is still at 5 Maiden Street, and still a
      Sherriff Officer, but now living alone.

      Nathaniel Leslie appears in the 1841 and 1881 census records, which
      you apparently have, but not in any of the intervening ones.
      Presumably he was always at sea at the time of the census.

      Hope this is some help.

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
        Hi Colin

        I've just noticed a couple of typos in the census data I sent you.
        The first set (in Jamaica Street) is from 1851.
        The next set (Maiden Street) is from 1861.
        Sorry for my carelessness.

        I have no idea which were wealthy or well-to-do parts of Peterhead in
        the mid 19th century, but I would dearly love to know. I have
        ancestors who moved from Merchant Street, to Queen Street to Back Gate
        between one census and the next. I have a suspicion that the move to
        Back Gate may indicate a fall in the family fortunes, but don't know
        how to find out. Can anyone help?

        Mary

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...