Re: [Peterhead] Grange Gardens & Mitchells of Ellishill

  • MARGIE DAVIDSON
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2008
      The Grange is the large house at the end of Eden Drive -at one time it belonged to Smith, the owner of the wool mill.
      Across the road were the fields of Rosie Greig's farm where strawberries were grown. The entrance to the farmhouse and outbuildings was slightly further in from where Strawberry Bank now stands. You entered from the narrow roadway and strawberries were sold in summer from outbuildings at the right of the house. I remember when they cost 2/- - old shillings - a pound.
      We used to go up everyday in sumer and buy 2lbs of berries. I can still recall the smell and taste of them. My grandfather used to save his sweet ration all year so he could have sugar with his berries as he didn't like to eat them without sugar!

      Margie