RE: [Peterhead] Grange Gardens & Mitchells of Ellishill

  • Henderson, Roy
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2008
      Hi Andrea,

      Grange Gardens is a residential area which dates back at least 50 years
      - possibly more. I can just remember the pig farm you mention - I
      remember the smell! Beside where the farm used to be is now a sheltered
      housing complex and it is called Strawberry Bank so that is perhaps also
      a link to your strawberry farm.

      I am sure others on the list will be able to add more information ...

      Regards,

      Roy

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2008
        Thanks for the information on Grange Gardens. My G-Grandmother referred in her travel diary to a specific house called The Grange, which was opposite another house called Copland House. Does anyone know if these buildings still exist?

        Kind regards

        Andrea

      • Henderson, Roy
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2008
          I'm wondering if The Grange might be the large house on the corner of
          Eden Drive and West Road? I think it has now been split into several
          flats but I can remember it being one of the more impressive houses in
          the town, both in terms of size and location, back in the 1960s. When I
          get a chance, I will ask my wife's parents if they can give more
          information.

          Roy

          ________________________________

          ===============================
          CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

          of this communication or message.

        • MARGIE DAVIDSON
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2008
            The Grange is the large house at the end of Eden Drive -at one time it belonged to Smith, the owner of the wool mill.
            Across the road were the fields of Rosie Greig's farm where strawberries were grown. The entrance to the farmhouse and outbuildings was slightly further in from where Strawberry Bank now stands. You entered from the narrow roadway and strawberries were sold in summer from outbuildings at the right of the house. I remember when they cost 2/- - old shillings - a pound.
            We used to go up everyday in sumer and buy 2lbs of berries. I can still recall the smell and taste of them. My grandfather used to save his sweet ration all year so he could have sugar with his berries as he didn't like to eat them without sugar!

            Margie

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            ============ ========= ========= =
            CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION