Grange Gardens & Mitchells of Ellishill

  • andrea mcharg
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2008
      Hi All,

      Can anyone help with the whereabouts of a building or farm called Grange Gardens. I believe there may have been more than one house called The Grange, but the one I am interesting in used to be a strawberry farm which did afternoon teas when a family called the McKays lived there I think sometime in the early-mid 1900's (Amelia Furlina McKay nee Mitchell was the youngest sister of my G,g,g-grandfather Thomas who emigrated to New Zealand). My G-grandmother visited it in the early 1950's and at that time it was a pig farm.

      Also if anyone knows anthing about the Mitchell family who farmed at Ellishill, Inverugie, I would be very interested. My G-grandmother also visited Ellishill and at that time there was still an old farmhouse there.

      Many thanks,

      Andrea

    • Henderson, Roy
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 17, 2008
        Hi Andrea,

        Grange Gardens is a residential area which dates back at least 50 years
        - possibly more. I can just remember the pig farm you mention - I
        remember the smell! Beside where the farm used to be is now a sheltered
        housing complex and it is called Strawberry Bank so that is perhaps also
        a link to your strawberry farm.

        I am sure others on the list will be able to add more information ...

        Regards,

        Roy

        ________________________________

        Can anyone help with the whereabouts of a building or farm called Grange
        Gardens. I believe there may have been more than one house called The
        Grange, but the one I am interesting in used to be a strawberry farm
        which did afternoon teas when a family called the McKays lived there I
        think sometime in the early-mid 1900's (Amelia Furlina McKay nee
        Mitchell was the youngest sister of my G,g,g-grandfather Thomas who
        emigrated to New Zealand). My G-grandmother visited it in the early
        1950's and at that time it was a pig farm.

        Also if anyone knows anthing about the Mitchell family who farmed at
        Ellishill, Inverugie, I would be very interested. My G-grandmother also
        visited Ellishill and at that time there was still an old farmhouse
        there.

        Many thanks,

        Andrea

        ===============================
        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

        of this communication or message.

      • andrea mcharg
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2008
          Thanks for the information on Grange Gardens. My G-Grandmother referred in her travel diary to a specific house called The Grange, which was opposite another house called Copland House. Does anyone know if these buildings still exist?

          Kind regards

          Andrea

        • Henderson, Roy
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2008
            I'm wondering if The Grange might be the large house on the corner of
            Eden Drive and West Road? I think it has now been split into several
            flats but I can remember it being one of the more impressive houses in
            the town, both in terms of size and location, back in the 1960s. When I
            get a chance, I will ask my wife's parents if they can give more
            information.

            Roy

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22, 2008
              The Grange is the large house at the end of Eden Drive -at one time it belonged to Smith, the owner of the wool mill.
              Across the road were the fields of Rosie Greig's farm where strawberries were grown. The entrance to the farmhouse and outbuildings was slightly further in from where Strawberry Bank now stands. You entered from the narrow roadway and strawberries were sold in summer from outbuildings at the right of the house. I remember when they cost 2/- - old shillings - a pound.
              We used to go up everyday in sumer and buy 2lbs of berries. I can still recall the smell and taste of them. My grandfather used to save his sweet ration all year so he could have sugar with his berries as he didn't like to eat them without sugar!

              Margie

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              ============ ========= ========= =
              CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION