Re: [Peterhead] Chalmers family of St Fergus and Peterhead

  • rlyon@beeb.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
      On my tree I have Isabella Chalmers born c 1786 Banffshire (
      as indicated 1841 census and then oddly the 1851 census says
      born Turriff), death 8th December 1866 St. Fergus, age 80.

      Her parents ( from death cert.)are John Chalmers and Helen
      Merson (dates unknown but died before 1866).

      Isabella married James Thom (1784-15th March 1872) with whom
      she has children Margaret, George, William, Ann, Helen, Mary
      and Christian.

      Ann Thom (1810-2nd Sep 1886) is my 2G grandmother,she became
      second wife to James Lyon at St. Fergus around 1848, so that
      makes Isabella Chalmers my 3g Grandmother.

      I cannot see any immediate connection to the Chalmers family
      you mention, but is a connection likely?

      Richard
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
        Hi Richard,

        Today I found Alexander Chalmers' birth in the OPR on ScotlandsPeople.
        His parents were John Chalmers and Jean Innes. He was born 4/4/1770
        and baptised 6/4/1770. I'm fairly confident, but not 100%, that this
        is the correct Alexander Chalmers.

        A search of the OPR index for children of either sex, born to John
        Chalmers and Jean Innes in St Fergus over a very wide range of years
        revealed the following other children: Margaret 30/08/1771, Anna
        04/05/1774, John 02/08/1776 and Esther 26/06/1781. I haven't got the
        actual register images, so don't know whether these are birth or
        baptism dates.

        There wasn't an Isabella, and your Isabella couldn't be the daughter
        of Alexander's brother John as she was born in 1786 and he in 1776. So
        maybe there's no connection between our trees.

        Mary