Chalmers family of St Fergus and Peterhead

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      Is anyone else researching the Chalmers family, from St Fergus, who
      lived in Peterhead from about the middle of the 19th century?

      Here's some of what I know about them: Alexander Chalmers, born in St
      Fergus 1770, crofter in some records, farm labourer in others, married
      to Christian Wilson.
      They had four children that I have found so far:
      1. Ann Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1806, married Alexander Maitland,
      farm servant, also from St Fergus. They had two daughters, Sarah and
      Christian. Lived in Peterhead in 1851, died there in 1856.
      2. Esther Chalmers b St Fergus 1820, never married, but had an
      illegitimate son John McLeod in Peterhead abt 1839. Died in Peterhead
      in 1858. Described as a pauper in the 1851 census.
      3. Andrew Clarke Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1823, shoemaker, married
      first Elizabeth Anderson in Peterhead in 1848. Six children, three
      died during childhood. The survivors were Richard, Susan and Alexander
      Chalmers. Elizabeth Anderson died in 1859 and Andrew then married
      Susan Murison in 1860. They had three daughters, Mary Simpson, Janet
      McCombie (my grandmother) and Margaret Mitchell. Andrew died in
      Peterhead in 1879 and Susan in 1880.
      4. Barbara Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1825, married Alexander
      Cruickshank in Peterhead in 1847. They moved to Aberdeen, where he
      worked on the railway and she kept a lodging house. Some time after
      Alexander died in 1864, Barbara moved with her youngest daughter to
      Bradford. Two of her nieces, Janet and Margaret Chalmers, went to live
      with her after their mother's death.

      Here's what I would like to find out: Did Alexander Chalmers and
      Christian Wilson have any other children? The large gap between Ann's
      birth in 1806 and Esther's in 1820 makes me think that there may have
      been. But I can find no baptismal records for any of their children in
      either Aberdeenshire or Banffshire (recall that St Fergus was in
      Banffshire in those days). Either the records have been lost or
      destroyed, or they didn't have their children baptised, or the
      minister was lax in recording the baptisms, or ...

      Also, I can find nothing about Christian Wilson, other than her name.
      No record of baptism or marriage, no idea where she came from, or when
      she died, except that she is missing from the 1841 census, and was
      definitely dead by 1856.

      Any suggestions as to where I go from here?

      Last time I was in Peterhead, I found one Chalmers grave in the old
      Peterhead churchyard, a memorial to Andrew Chalmers, Susan Murison and
      Margaret Mitchell Chalmers. Does anyone know of others? Is there a
      churchyard in St Fergus where some of the Chalmers family might be
      buried?

      Mary
    • rlyon@beeb.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
        On my tree I have Isabella Chalmers born c 1786 Banffshire (
        as indicated 1841 census and then oddly the 1851 census says
        born Turriff), death 8th December 1866 St. Fergus, age 80.

        Her parents ( from death cert.)are John Chalmers and Helen
        Merson (dates unknown but died before 1866).

        Isabella married James Thom (1784-15th March 1872) with whom
        she has children Margaret, George, William, Ann, Helen, Mary
        and Christian.

        Ann Thom (1810-2nd Sep 1886) is my 2G grandmother,she became
        second wife to James Lyon at St. Fergus around 1848, so that
        makes Isabella Chalmers my 3g Grandmother.

        I cannot see any immediate connection to the Chalmers family
        you mention, but is a connection likely?

        Richard
      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
          Hi Richard,

          Today I found Alexander Chalmers' birth in the OPR on ScotlandsPeople.
          His parents were John Chalmers and Jean Innes. He was born 4/4/1770
          and baptised 6/4/1770. I'm fairly confident, but not 100%, that this
          is the correct Alexander Chalmers.

          A search of the OPR index for children of either sex, born to John
          Chalmers and Jean Innes in St Fergus over a very wide range of years
          revealed the following other children: Margaret 30/08/1771, Anna
          04/05/1774, John 02/08/1776 and Esther 26/06/1781. I haven't got the
          actual register images, so don't know whether these are birth or
          baptism dates.

          There wasn't an Isabella, and your Isabella couldn't be the daughter
          of Alexander's brother John as she was born in 1786 and he in 1776. So
          maybe there's no connection between our trees.

          Mary