Re: Stevenson

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23 10:41 PM
      Hi Norman,

      Welcome to the list.

      Norm Stevens wrote:

      > I am a descendant from a James Stevenson and Eliza Simpson, of Peterhead in Aberdeen,
      > and I am seeking any information relating to this family or any contacts.

      1858 Deaths
      No.26, John Stevenson (single) 16th February 1858 10h 30m am 7/2 Kirk
      Street, male, 1 year, father James Stevenson, ship-carpenter and Eliza
      Stevenson, ms Simpson, cause: Congestion of spine, for months, buried
      Peterhead, John Cowie undertaker, informant: James Stevenson, father,
      present.

      1861 Deaths
      No.155, William Stevenson (single) 6th August 1861 3h 50m am at 31/1
      St.Peter Street, male, 10 months, parents: James Stevenson,
      ship-carpenter and Eliza Stevenson ms Simpson, cause: unknown no medical
      attendant, informant: Alexander Stevenson, grandfather (not present),
      9/1 Backgate Street.

      > James was a shipbuilder and lived in Love Lane in Peterhead in 1881.

      What was his age and where was he born? Was Eliza still alive, what was
      her age?

      Didn't find any James Stevenson in the 1851 census for Peterhead.

      > Any clues or hints on where to find information on Peterhead and the shipbuilding
      > industry there would be a great help too.

      >From "The Port of Peterhead" by Alex. R. Buchan.
      by the 1840s there were four ship-building firms in Peterhead, namely;
      Alexander Geddes; Lunnan and Robertson; Scott and Stevenson; and John
      Taylor and son, and in 1850 they were employing between them some five
      or six hundred men.

      Scott and Stevenson's yard was established, on Keith Inch, prior to
      1832, although each partner worked independently for a number of years.
      The site was immediately to the north of the Sand Bridge and had been
      known previously as Todd's yard. This firm built the whaling barque
      "Kate" of two hundred and sixty-six tons in 1841, the sealing barque
      "Eliza" of one hundred and eighty-three tons in 1844, and the Peterhead
      and Leith Trading schooner "Active" of seventy-eight tons in 1851.

      Hope this helps.