Re: re whaler Alert

  • maymyo25
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2008
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "fiona.riddell" <fiona.riddell@...>

    • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2008
        Dear Fiona,
        Have just read your e-mail about the "Alert".My gGrandfather James
        Taylor was the Mate during that terrible voyage,the passage home being his
        first command.He was lost with all hands in the Bristol channel in the barque
        "Nerbudda"of London in a great storm 1886.
        You will find reference to this in the Peterhead Sentinel.
        My ggGrandfather George Simpson was a well known whaling master,mainly in
        command of the "Traveller" and three sons also became whaling masters,John the
        eldest being master of the "Union"involved in the "Alert" story.
        Hope this proves of some interest.
        Best wishes in your project,Malcolm Simpson.