Re: re whaler Alert

  • v11buk
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2008
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "fiona.riddell" <fiona.riddell@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, I'm VERY new to all of this but got to know of your search/info
      > regarding the Peterhead whaler Alert by another forum member, I work
      > at the Arbuthnot Museum in Peterhead and know of this terrible
      > tragedy. I am actually in the process of making a database re all
      > Peterhead whalers (a very slow and laborious task, but very enjoyable)
      > ............... I have an avid interest in the whaling and
      > drink in any snippets that come my way from books or internet.
      > Hope to 'talk' to someone soon!
      > Regards Fiona.

      Hi Fiona

      I have some info on a Peterhead whaler The Hannibal if you are
      interested.

      You may already have this whaler on your database, but I have researched
      a little on the ship, in particular a fateful journey in 1848.

      "Whilst returning returning across the Atlantic with the crew of a
      derelict vessel on board, rough weather set in. Captain Lowrie, instead
      of making for the Shetland Islands, resolved to steer for Peterhead, but
      a gale came on, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every
      life was lost save one, a seaman named Watt, an inhabitant of Peterhead,
      who in after life was known as "Piper George Watt."

      George Watt was my 2x grt uncle. I have more info on the whaler plus
      George Watt if you are interested.

      Regards

      Viv

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2008
        More about the "Alert":
        A distant cousin of mine in Canada mentioned that his brother-in law
        worked for Parks Canada, and had been to Kekerten Island. I asked
        whether there were marked graves of the Scottish whalers who died
        there, thinking I might be able to get a photo of William Nicol's
        grave. In reply, he quoted his sister saying that her husband had been
        there and "saw all the human graves buried under the rocks. In fact
        there are many human bones about as well. He said he felt ‘spooky’ on
        the island."

        He added: "The following explanation may help. The land in the Arctic
        is permanently frozen. It might have been impossible for weakened men
        to attempt to dig into it. Instead of digging into the permafrost,
        they would quite often find a shallow spot in the ground (or hollow
        out a spot), place the body in it and gather rocks and make a mound
        over the body. This would prevent animals from getting at the corpse.
        The bones scattered about might have been a result of animals getting
        into some graves. I hate to think that William might have been one of
        them. Actually, during recent expeditions to the Arctic, graves of
        some early explorers have been exhumed. The bodies are in a
        remarkable state of preservation because they have been completely
        frozen for hundreds of years. To my knowledge many graves do not have
        or maybe never had any markers."

        This just adds a little more to the saga of the Alert".

        Mary

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • fiona.riddell
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2008
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "v11buk" <vivbuck@...> wrote:

          > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "fiona.riddell" <fiona.riddell@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, I'm VERY new to all of this but got to know of your
          search/info
          > > regarding the Peterhead whaler Alert by another forum member, I
          work
          > > at the Arbuthnot Museum in Peterhead and know of this terrible
          > > tragedy. I am actually in the process of making a database re all
          > > Peterhead whalers (a very slow and laborious task, but very
          enjoyable)
          > > ............... I have an avid interest in the whaling and
          > > drink in any snippets that come my way from books or internet.
          > > Hope to 'talk' to someone soon!
          > > Regards Fiona.
          > >
          > Hi Fiona
          >
          > I have some info on a Peterhead whaler The Hannibal if you are
          > interested.
          >
          > You may already have this whaler on your database, but I have
          researched
          > a little on the ship, in particular a fateful journey in 1848.
          >
          > "Whilst returning returning across the Atlantic with the crew of a
          > derelict vessel on board, rough weather set in. Captain Lowrie,
          instead
          > of making for the Shetland Islands, resolved to steer for
          Peterhead, but
          > a gale came on, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every
          > life was lost save one, a seaman named Watt, an inhabitant of
          Peterhead,
          > who in after life was known as "Piper George Watt."
          >
          > George Watt was my 2x grt uncle. I have more info on the whaler plus
          > George Watt if you are interested.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Viv

          Hi Viv thanks for getting back to me with your info I am interested
          in ANY Peterhead whaler and their crews, and it all adds up when
          someone else is looking for their 'relatives'. our Sentinels dont
          start till 1857, so all info greatly recieved. I love when a new
          piece of info comes in and I quickly add it to my work.

          Regards Fiona

        • maymyo25
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 19, 2008

          • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7 7:23 AM
              Dear Fiona,
              Have just read your e-mail about the "Alert".My gGrandfather James
              Taylor was the Mate during that terrible voyage,the passage home being his
              first command.He was lost with all hands in the Bristol channel in the barque
              "Nerbudda"of London in a great storm 1886.
              You will find reference to this in the Peterhead Sentinel.
              My ggGrandfather George Simpson was a well known whaling master,mainly in
              command of the "Traveller" and three sons also became whaling masters,John the
              eldest being master of the "Union"involved in the "Alert" story.
              Hope this proves of some interest.
              Best wishes in your project,Malcolm Simpson.