re whaler Alert

  • fiona.riddell
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2008
      Hi, I'm VERY new to all of this but got to know of your search/info
      regarding the Peterhead whaler Alert by another forum member, I work
      at the Arbuthnot Museum in Peterhead and know of this terrible
      tragedy. I am actually in the process of making a database re all
      Peterhead whalers (a very slow and laborious task, but very enjoyable)
      At the end of last year I was toying with the idea of putting a
      'booklet' together on this story from all the local press coverage and
      was thrilled to hear of some decendants. I would be delighted if I got
      your permission to 'copy' the letter from William Nicol to his wife
      Helen and anything else re this case, as 2009 being the 'Year of the
      Homecoming' I thought it prevelant that something should be done to
      mark the 150th anniversary of this tale (2010)and a more local
      interest. I would be delighted to share/send any of my info by post to
      any descendants prior to my 'booklet' (which I will need permission
      for from the editor of our Buchan Observer!!) any one can contact me
      here or at the museum. I have an avid interest in the whaling and
      drink in any snippets that come my way from books or internet.
      Hope to 'talk' to someone soon!
      Regards Fiona.
    • v11buk
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2008
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "fiona.riddell" <fiona.riddell@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, I'm VERY new to all of this but got to know of your search/info
        > regarding the Peterhead whaler Alert by another forum member, I work
        > at the Arbuthnot Museum in Peterhead and know of this terrible
        > tragedy. I am actually in the process of making a database re all
        > Peterhead whalers (a very slow and laborious task, but very enjoyable)
        > ............... I have an avid interest in the whaling and
        > drink in any snippets that come my way from books or internet.
        > Hope to 'talk' to someone soon!
        > Regards Fiona.

        Hi Fiona

        I have some info on a Peterhead whaler The Hannibal if you are
        interested.

        You may already have this whaler on your database, but I have researched
        a little on the ship, in particular a fateful journey in 1848.

        "Whilst returning returning across the Atlantic with the crew of a
        derelict vessel on board, rough weather set in. Captain Lowrie, instead
        of making for the Shetland Islands, resolved to steer for Peterhead, but
        a gale came on, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every
        life was lost save one, a seaman named Watt, an inhabitant of Peterhead,
        who in after life was known as "Piper George Watt."

        George Watt was my 2x grt uncle. I have more info on the whaler plus
        George Watt if you are interested.

        Regards

        Viv

      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2008
          More about the "Alert":
          A distant cousin of mine in Canada mentioned that his brother-in law
          worked for Parks Canada, and had been to Kekerten Island. I asked
          whether there were marked graves of the Scottish whalers who died
          there, thinking I might be able to get a photo of William Nicol's
          grave. In reply, he quoted his sister saying that her husband had been
          there and "saw all the human graves buried under the rocks. In fact
          there are many human bones about as well. He said he felt ‘spooky’ on
          the island."

          He added: "The following explanation may help. The land in the Arctic
          is permanently frozen. It might have been impossible for weakened men
          to attempt to dig into it. Instead of digging into the permafrost,
          they would quite often find a shallow spot in the ground (or hollow
          out a spot), place the body in it and gather rocks and make a mound
          over the body. This would prevent animals from getting at the corpse.
          The bones scattered about might have been a result of animals getting
          into some graves. I hate to think that William might have been one of
          them. Actually, during recent expeditions to the Arctic, graves of
          some early explorers have been exhumed. The bodies are in a
          remarkable state of preservation because they have been completely
          frozen for hundreds of years. To my knowledge many graves do not have
          or maybe never had any markers."

          This just adds a little more to the saga of the Alert".

          Mary

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@...
        • fiona.riddell
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2008
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "v11buk" <vivbuck@...> wrote:

            > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "fiona.riddell" <fiona.riddell@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, I'm VERY new to all of this but got to know of your
            search/info
            > > regarding the Peterhead whaler Alert by another forum member, I
            work
            > > at the Arbuthnot Museum in Peterhead and know of this terrible
            > > tragedy. I am actually in the process of making a database re all
            > > Peterhead whalers (a very slow and laborious task, but very
            enjoyable)
            > > ............... I have an avid interest in the whaling and
            > > drink in any snippets that come my way from books or internet.
            > > Hope to 'talk' to someone soon!
            > > Regards Fiona.
            > >
            > Hi Fiona
            >
            > I have some info on a Peterhead whaler The Hannibal if you are
            > interested.
            >
            > You may already have this whaler on your database, but I have
            researched
            > a little on the ship, in particular a fateful journey in 1848.
            >
            > "Whilst returning returning across the Atlantic with the crew of a
            > derelict vessel on board, rough weather set in. Captain Lowrie,
            instead
            > of making for the Shetland Islands, resolved to steer for
            Peterhead, but
            > a gale came on, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every
            > life was lost save one, a seaman named Watt, an inhabitant of
            Peterhead,
            > who in after life was known as "Piper George Watt."
            >
            > George Watt was my 2x grt uncle. I have more info on the whaler plus
            > George Watt if you are interested.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Viv

            Hi Viv thanks for getting back to me with your info I am interested
            in ANY Peterhead whaler and their crews, and it all adds up when
            someone else is looking for their 'relatives'. our Sentinels dont
            start till 1857, so all info greatly recieved. I love when a new
            piece of info comes in and I quickly add it to my work.

            Regards Fiona

          • maymyo25
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 19, 2008

            • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2008
                Dear Fiona,
                Have just read your e-mail about the "Alert".My gGrandfather James
                Taylor was the Mate during that terrible voyage,the passage home being his
                first command.He was lost with all hands in the Bristol channel in the barque
                "Nerbudda"of London in a great storm 1886.
                You will find reference to this in the Peterhead Sentinel.
                My ggGrandfather George Simpson was a well known whaling master,mainly in
                command of the "Traveller" and three sons also became whaling masters,John the
                eldest being master of the "Union"involved in the "Alert" story.
                Hope this proves of some interest.
                Best wishes in your project,Malcolm Simpson.