Re: [Peterhead] John Fowlie & The "Active"

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi Linda,
      Thanks for passing on the additional information. I have just
      discovered another relevant snippet that may interest you, also on the
      NEFA site for which I gave you the url. In the Part 1 of the extracts
      from the diary of Robert Walker, I found:
      "1856. July 13th
      "Active" from Greenland, 146 tons.
      The whaler "Active" had been built at Lunnan and Robertson's yard,
      Peterhead for Captain David Gray in 1853 ... Like many other Peterhead
      ships the "Active" was sold to Dundee in the late 1800s ... ."
      An image of the Active in the Greenland ice floes is included,
      courtesy of the Arbuthnot Museum. Maybe the museum will be able to
      tell you more about the Active.

      Mary Barnes

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10, 2008
        Hi everyone,

        Is anyone else researching the Chalmers family, from St Fergus, who
        lived in Peterhead from about the middle of the 19th century?

        Here's some of what I know about them: Alexander Chalmers, born in St
        Fergus 1770, crofter in some records, farm labourer in others, married
        to Christian Wilson.
        They had four children that I have found so far:
        1. Ann Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1806, married Alexander Maitland,
        farm servant, also from St Fergus. They had two daughters, Sarah and
        Christian. Lived in Peterhead in 1851, died there in 1856.
        2. Esther Chalmers b St Fergus 1820, never married, but had an
        illegitimate son John McLeod in Peterhead abt 1839. Died in Peterhead
        in 1858. Described as a pauper in the 1851 census.
        3. Andrew Clarke Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1823, shoemaker, married
        first Elizabeth Anderson in Peterhead in 1848. Six children, three
        died during childhood. The survivors were Richard, Susan and Alexander
        Chalmers. Elizabeth Anderson died in 1859 and Andrew then married
        Susan Murison in 1860. They had three daughters, Mary Simpson, Janet
        McCombie (my grandmother) and Margaret Mitchell. Andrew died in
        Peterhead in 1879 and Susan in 1880.
        4. Barbara Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1825, married Alexander
        Cruickshank in Peterhead in 1847. They moved to Aberdeen, where he
        worked on the railway and she kept a lodging house. Some time after
        Alexander died in 1864, Barbara moved with her youngest daughter to
        Bradford. Two of her nieces, Janet and Margaret Chalmers, went to live
        with her after their mother's death.

        Here's what I would like to find out: Did Alexander Chalmers and
        Christian Wilson have any other children? The large gap between Ann's
        birth in 1806 and Esther's in 1820 makes me think that there may have
        been. But I can find no baptismal records for any of their children in
        either Aberdeenshire or Banffshire (recall that St Fergus was in
        Banffshire in those days). Either the records have been lost or
        destroyed, or they didn't have their children baptised, or the
        minister was lax in recording the baptisms, or ...

        Also, I can find nothing about Christian Wilson, other than her name.
        No record of baptism or marriage, no idea where she came from, or when
        she died, except that she is missing from the 1841 census, and was
        definitely dead by 1856.

        Any suggestions as to where I go from here?

        Last time I was in Peterhead, I found one Chalmers grave in the old
        Peterhead churchyard, a memorial to Andrew Chalmers, Susan Murison and
        Margaret Mitchell Chalmers. Does anyone know of others? Is there a
        churchyard in St Fergus where some of the Chalmers family might be
        buried?

        Mary
      • rlyon@beeb.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
          On my tree I have Isabella Chalmers born c 1786 Banffshire (
          as indicated 1841 census and then oddly the 1851 census says
          born Turriff), death 8th December 1866 St. Fergus, age 80.

          Her parents ( from death cert.)are John Chalmers and Helen
          Merson (dates unknown but died before 1866).

          Isabella married James Thom (1784-15th March 1872) with whom
          she has children Margaret, George, William, Ann, Helen, Mary
          and Christian.

          Ann Thom (1810-2nd Sep 1886) is my 2G grandmother,she became
          second wife to James Lyon at St. Fergus around 1848, so that
          makes Isabella Chalmers my 3g Grandmother.

          I cannot see any immediate connection to the Chalmers family
          you mention, but is a connection likely?

          Richard
        • Mary Barnes
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
            Hi Richard,

            Today I found Alexander Chalmers' birth in the OPR on ScotlandsPeople.
            His parents were John Chalmers and Jean Innes. He was born 4/4/1770
            and baptised 6/4/1770. I'm fairly confident, but not 100%, that this
            is the correct Alexander Chalmers.

            A search of the OPR index for children of either sex, born to John
            Chalmers and Jean Innes in St Fergus over a very wide range of years
            revealed the following other children: Margaret 30/08/1771, Anna
            04/05/1774, John 02/08/1776 and Esther 26/06/1781. I haven't got the
            actual register images, so don't know whether these are birth or
            baptism dates.

            There wasn't an Isabella, and your Isabella couldn't be the daughter
            of Alexander's brother John as she was born in 1786 and he in 1776. So
            maybe there's no connection between our trees.

            Mary