John Fowlie & The "Active"

  • Linda Adam
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      My 3G Uncle, John FOWLIE's death certificate shows Cause of Death as:
      "Lost in a Boat". The date & location was Apr. 15, 1862, age 24, LAT 68 -
      18N
      Long. 8W.
      Informant of his death was the renowned David Gray, Master of the "ACTIVE".

      John FOWLIE was the son of Alexander FOWLIE & Eliz. GODSMAN, b. Old Deer 06
      01.1837. He had married Margaret CLARK 12.11.1861, Peterhead.

      Would anyone be able to supply me with any further details of John's death
      or the mission of the "ACTIVE" in 1862?

      Regards,
      Linda Adam
      Ontario, Canada

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Linda,

        It sounds to me as if he was drowned on a whaling expedition. There
        was certainly a whaler, the "Active" of 308 tons, captained by first
        by J. Sutter and later by David Gray, in the early years of the 19th
        century. It began whaling in 1801 and seems to have been very
        successful. It also did some sealing. But according to my information,
        the Active was lost in 1828. It is very possible, of course, that
        later another whaler was given the same name. This happened quite a lot.
        (Source: J. T. Findlay "The rise and fall of Peterhead whale and seal
        fishing" http://www.nefa.net/archive/peopleandlife/sea/riseandfall.htm
        See also Gavin Sutherland, "The Peterhead Whalers 1788-1893" http://www.nefa.net/archive/peopleandlife/sea/pheadwhalers.htm
        )

        As for being "lost in a boat", the large whalers sent out small boats,
        manned by half a dozen crew - four oarsmen, a steersman and a
        harpooner, to chase the whales. These small boats were relatively
        easily capsized, and many crew died as a result. They had to get up
        pretty close to the whales and it must have been very dangerous. The
        location you give appears to be somewhere midway between Iceland and
        Norway, but I don't know if whales were caught in that area.

        The Peterhead Maritime Museum may be able to help you with more
        information. I have found both them and the Arbuthnot Museum very
        willing and interested to help with family history enquiries.

        On 02/03/2008, at 5:18 AM, Linda Adam wrote:

        > My 3G Uncle, John FOWLIE's death certificate shows Cause of Death as:
        > "Lost in a Boat". The date & location was Apr. 15, 1862, age 24, LAT
        > 68 -
        > 18N Long. 8W.
        > Informant of his death was the renowned David Gray, Master of the
        > "ACTIVE".
        >
        > John FOWLIE was the son of Alexander FOWLIE & Eliz. GODSMAN, b. Old
        > Deer 06
        > 01.1837. He had married Margaret CLARK 12.11.1861, Peterhead.
        >
        > Would anyone be able to supply me with any further details of John's
        > death
        > or the mission of the "ACTIVE" in 1862?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Linda Adam
        > Ontario, Canada

      • Linda Adam
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
          Mary,

          Thank you for your response & information. The sources you gave me were of
          great interest and I now feel as though I have a greater knowledge of the
          whaling expeditions.

          I also had a personal response from a list member who sent an attachment
          from "The Whaling Years Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland". The page
          noted that 8 men were lost on the voyage of 1862 near Jan Mayen. Three were
          from Peterhead. Harpooner, John TAYLOR, steersman John FOWLIE and George
          WATT an 18 year old apprentice.

          Perhaps other list members may be related to TAYLOR, WATTS or my John FOWLIE

          Cheers!
          Linda

          .

        • Mary Barnes
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
            Hi Linda,
            Thanks for passing on the additional information. I have just
            discovered another relevant snippet that may interest you, also on the
            NEFA site for which I gave you the url. In the Part 1 of the extracts
            from the diary of Robert Walker, I found:
            "1856. July 13th
            "Active" from Greenland, 146 tons.
            The whaler "Active" had been built at Lunnan and Robertson's yard,
            Peterhead for Captain David Gray in 1853 ... Like many other Peterhead
            ships the "Active" was sold to Dundee in the late 1800s ... ."
            An image of the Active in the Greenland ice floes is included,
            courtesy of the Arbuthnot Museum. Maybe the museum will be able to
            tell you more about the Active.

            Mary Barnes

          • Mary Barnes
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 10, 2008
              Hi everyone,

              Is anyone else researching the Chalmers family, from St Fergus, who
              lived in Peterhead from about the middle of the 19th century?

              Here's some of what I know about them: Alexander Chalmers, born in St
              Fergus 1770, crofter in some records, farm labourer in others, married
              to Christian Wilson.
              They had four children that I have found so far:
              1. Ann Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1806, married Alexander Maitland,
              farm servant, also from St Fergus. They had two daughters, Sarah and
              Christian. Lived in Peterhead in 1851, died there in 1856.
              2. Esther Chalmers b St Fergus 1820, never married, but had an
              illegitimate son John McLeod in Peterhead abt 1839. Died in Peterhead
              in 1858. Described as a pauper in the 1851 census.
              3. Andrew Clarke Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1823, shoemaker, married
              first Elizabeth Anderson in Peterhead in 1848. Six children, three
              died during childhood. The survivors were Richard, Susan and Alexander
              Chalmers. Elizabeth Anderson died in 1859 and Andrew then married
              Susan Murison in 1860. They had three daughters, Mary Simpson, Janet
              McCombie (my grandmother) and Margaret Mitchell. Andrew died in
              Peterhead in 1879 and Susan in 1880.
              4. Barbara Chalmers, b St Fergus abt 1825, married Alexander
              Cruickshank in Peterhead in 1847. They moved to Aberdeen, where he
              worked on the railway and she kept a lodging house. Some time after
              Alexander died in 1864, Barbara moved with her youngest daughter to
              Bradford. Two of her nieces, Janet and Margaret Chalmers, went to live
              with her after their mother's death.

              Here's what I would like to find out: Did Alexander Chalmers and
              Christian Wilson have any other children? The large gap between Ann's
              birth in 1806 and Esther's in 1820 makes me think that there may have
              been. But I can find no baptismal records for any of their children in
              either Aberdeenshire or Banffshire (recall that St Fergus was in
              Banffshire in those days). Either the records have been lost or
              destroyed, or they didn't have their children baptised, or the
              minister was lax in recording the baptisms, or ...

              Also, I can find nothing about Christian Wilson, other than her name.
              No record of baptism or marriage, no idea where she came from, or when
              she died, except that she is missing from the 1841 census, and was
              definitely dead by 1856.

              Any suggestions as to where I go from here?

              Last time I was in Peterhead, I found one Chalmers grave in the old
              Peterhead churchyard, a memorial to Andrew Chalmers, Susan Murison and
              Margaret Mitchell Chalmers. Does anyone know of others? Is there a
              churchyard in St Fergus where some of the Chalmers family might be
              buried?

              Mary
            • rlyon@beeb.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
                On my tree I have Isabella Chalmers born c 1786 Banffshire (
                as indicated 1841 census and then oddly the 1851 census says
                born Turriff), death 8th December 1866 St. Fergus, age 80.

                Her parents ( from death cert.)are John Chalmers and Helen
                Merson (dates unknown but died before 1866).

                Isabella married James Thom (1784-15th March 1872) with whom
                she has children Margaret, George, William, Ann, Helen, Mary
                and Christian.

                Ann Thom (1810-2nd Sep 1886) is my 2G grandmother,she became
                second wife to James Lyon at St. Fergus around 1848, so that
                makes Isabella Chalmers my 3g Grandmother.

                I cannot see any immediate connection to the Chalmers family
                you mention, but is a connection likely?

                Richard
              • Mary Barnes
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
                  Hi Richard,

                  Today I found Alexander Chalmers' birth in the OPR on ScotlandsPeople.
                  His parents were John Chalmers and Jean Innes. He was born 4/4/1770
                  and baptised 6/4/1770. I'm fairly confident, but not 100%, that this
                  is the correct Alexander Chalmers.

                  A search of the OPR index for children of either sex, born to John
                  Chalmers and Jean Innes in St Fergus over a very wide range of years
                  revealed the following other children: Margaret 30/08/1771, Anna
                  04/05/1774, John 02/08/1776 and Esther 26/06/1781. I haven't got the
                  actual register images, so don't know whether these are birth or
                  baptism dates.

                  There wasn't an Isabella, and your Isabella couldn't be the daughter
                  of Alexander's brother John as she was born in 1786 and he in 1776. So
                  maybe there's no connection between our trees.

                  Mary