Re: The Alert of Peterhead

  • maymyo25
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008
      Alison,

      Thank you for your reply and the information. I looked up the area
      involved on Google Earth and thought it must be very barren. Then I went
      into the internet and found the following
      http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic/Arctic36-4-380.pdf
      <http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic/Arctic36-4-380.pdf> concerning a
      William Penny from Peterhead. It would seem that there were Inuit at
      Kekerten and that Penny introduced the technique of wintering on board
      ship in 1853-54. So it was not impossible to survive a prolonged stay.
      The Alerts downfall would seem to be linked to the lack of planning,
      equipment and provision.

      I would be very interested in anything you can find out though I
      appreciate your comment that the loss of a ship was more likely to be
      investigated than the loss of men. Whaling, much like coal mining had a
      hidden cost, at least hidden from those not involved, and it seems the
      loss of a whole ship was not unusual. It is easier to understand that a
      crew may go down with its ship but less easy to accept that they starved
      to death whilst protesting against the treatment they received.

      I have been investigating our Robertson genealogy for a while now and
      interesting events like these bring all those BMD records alive. Thank
      you for your help.

      Liz

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy" <alison2kennedy@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Liz,
      >
      > Thank you for your e-mail. I'm glad the information was of some
      interest to you.

      > Unfortunately the newspapers for Aberdeen (which commenced in 1747) &
      Peterhead (commenced 1863) are not available online. Microfilm for the
      newspapers is accessible through libraries in either place.

      > I believe that whaling trips usually lasted about 9 months - a year,
      unless the boat got caught in ice when it would have lasted until such
      time as the boat became free! Conditions would have been very hard.

      > I am not aware of an inquiry for this loss, but I will endeavour to
      investigate this further. Whilst this may seem harsh, usually an inquiry
      in these days was only held when a boat was lost, not when men died -
      the loss of men was an accepted fact - the loss of a boat meant the loss
      of money - but it sometimes depended on the circumstances. It's also
      possible that an inquiry may have taken place but not covered by the
      Aberdeen Journal, 1861 being before the Buchan Observer, who would have
      been the more likely to cover the story, commenced.