Re: [Peterhead] St Peters Churchyard Memorials: CD Review

  • Stephen Hutchison
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
      Hi Roy,
      I would like to join the FHSoB and obtain a copy of the CD. Do you have
      contact details available? Many of my forebears are located in lairs in the
      Boddam section. Regards Steve (Hutchison)

      On 23/02/2008, Henderson, Roy <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

      > Ever since this CD was mentioned on this list I have been keen to get my
      > hands on a copy. I am pleased to say that it is finally now in production
      > and copies can be obtained through the Family History Society of Buchan
      > (FHSoB).
      >
      > I thought it might be helpful to provide a brief review of the CD.
      > Although I am a committee member of the FHSoB, I am writing this in an
      > individual capacity having paid the regular purchase price for the CD and am
      > not expressing any official comments on behalf of the Society.
      >
      > The information, contained on a single CD, comprises individual
      > photographs and associated transcriptions of all memorials in St Peters
      > Churchyard. The project has taken years to complete and runs to 611 pages.
      > The information is presented as two PDF files each covering about half the
      > memorials. The memorials are ordered by physical location. The quality of
      > the photographs is generally very good although the majority of them should
      > be considered illustrative rather than transcriptive. There are many
      > photographs where the inscription can be clearly read but there are others
      > which must only be considered as pictures of stones. Any limitations in the
      > photographs are almost always due to the state of the inscription rather
      > than photographic technique. However, the quality of the transcriptions is
      > beyond fault and must represent countless hours of painstaking work.
      >
      > The transcriptions are fully searchable text but are not indexed in any
      > way. As such, some experimentation may be required to retrieve meaningful
      > filtered results but a few searches will soon identify the best patterns to
      > use.
      >
      > The information can be used directly from the CD or copied to a hard disk.
      > Search performance will probably be significantly improved if running from a
      > hard disk. This also provides the added benefit of allowing the original CD
      > simply to be kept as a backup copy rather than risking any damage through
      > wear in use.
      >
      > The CD is priced at £10 + actual postage costs to members of the FHSoB and
      > £15 + actual postage costs to non-members. All proceeds from sales are being
      > split between the FHSoB and Diabetes Research.
      >
      > I can thoroughly recommend this CD to anyone with an interest in
      > researching St Peters Churchyard as a potential source of information.

    • Henderson, Roy
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
        Good morning Steve,

        This list is monitored by other members of the FHSoB committe and, by copy, I am asking if one of them will contact you directly regarding a membership application form.

        Out of interest, where do you live?

        Regards,

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
          Hi Roy,
          I actually live in Paignton, Devon. A bit warmer than Boddam. My grandfather
          moved between Boddam and Malaig with the herring fishing in my father's
          boyhood. He was a cooper and then involved in fish curing, etc. My great
          grandfather John Hutchison had a ship's chandlers & suppliers in Peterhead.
          My father moved to the London area at the end of the war, so I have never
          lived in Scotland. Regards Steve

          On 24/02/2008, Henderson, Roy <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

          > Good morning Steve,
          >
          > This list is monitored by other members of the FHSoB committe and, by
          > copy, I am asking if one of them will contact you directly regarding a
          > membership application form.
          >
          > Out of interest, where do you live?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Roy

        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
            Hello Roy;
            Who do I contact to get a copy of the CD? I added my name to the list when I first heard of this and as far as I am a member of the Family History Society of Buchan.
            By the way, Steve, I have ancestors buried in St Peters, the Rankin family, who were ship owners and my grandfather, William Leslie, a Cooper, is buried in the Constitution St Cemetery. I also have live Hutchison relatives in Peterhead.
            Regards
            William Leslie
            Regards
            William Leslie
            I actually live in Paignton, Devon. A bit warmer than Boddam. My grandfather
            moved between Boddam and Malaig with the herring fishing in my father's
            boyhood. He was a cooper and then involved in fish curing, etc. My great
            grandfather John Hutchison had a ship's chandlers & suppliers in Peterhead.
            My father moved to the London area at the end of the war, so I have never
            lived in Scotland. Regards Steve

            On 24/02/2008, Henderson, Roy <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

            > Good morning Steve,
            >
            > This list is monitored by other members of the FHSoB committe and, by
            > copy, I am asking if one of them will contact you directly regarding a
            > membership application form.
            >
            > Out of interest, where do you live?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Roy

          • Anne Allan
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
              Following on from Roys message regarding the St Peter's Cemetery CD...

              The order forms for the CD will be available from me from tomorrow. I
              have a list of people already who have requested them in the last week
              or so, but have been awaiting the CD's to ascertain what the postage
              costs would be before sending them out.
              Membership forms for the Family History Society of Buchan are also avail
              from myself or any committee member.
              I can email both forms out to anyone who requests them. Please note
              that at present we can only accept payment in Sterling.

              Regards

              Anne Allan

              anneallan@...
            • Ed Campbell
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
                Hello Anne:

                I would appreciate receiving both forms.

                Ed. Campbell

                Edmonton, AB, Canada

              • William Leslie
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
                  Hello Anne;

                  Could you please send me the form to order the CD's.

                  Regards

                  William Leslie

                  _____

                  Following on from Roys message regarding the St Peter's Cemetery CD...

                  The order forms for the CD will be available from me from tomorrow. I
                  have a list of people already who have requested them in the last week
                  or so, but have been awaiting the CD's to ascertain what the postage
                  costs would be before sending them out.
                  Membership forms for the Family History Society of Buchan are also avail
                  from myself or any committee member.
                  I can email both forms out to anyone who requests them. Please note
                  that at present we can only accept payment in Sterling.

                  Regards

                  Anne Allan

                  anneallan@dsl. <mailto:anneallan%40dsl.pipex.com> pipex.com

                • alex-jean Ritchie
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
                    Hi Anne,

                    Please include me for an Order Form.

                    Thanks...Alex Ritchie

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 24, 2008
                      For those of us who live in the US how do we go about getting the CD? Can we
                      pay by Credit Card?

                      Please advise.

                    • Celtic Mist

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 25, 2008
                          Hi Anne, could you send me forms for CD and membership forms
                          Many thanks
                          Brenda

                          To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: anneallan@...: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:41:56 +0000Subject: [Peterhead] Re: St Peters Churchyard Memorials: CD Review

                          Following on from Roys message regarding the St Peter's Cemetery CD...The order forms for the CD will be available from me from tomorrow. I have a list of people already who have requested them in the last week or so, but have been awaiting the CD's to ascertain what the postage costs would be before sending them out.Membership forms for the Family History Society of Buchan are also avail from myself or any committee member.I can email both forms out to anyone who requests them. Please note that at present we can only accept payment in Sterling.RegardsAnne Allananneallan@...

                        • kathytrevelyan
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 4, 2008
                            I'd like to send a huge thank you to all involved in the CD project. I
                            was in Peterhead for the first time this weekend and Allen was kind
                            enough to bring a copy of the CD to my hotel. Within five minutes I'd
                            found the stone of a many times great aunt, Mary Ann Davidson and her
                            Husband George Rennie and their children. I also have several other
                            possible ancestors in the kirkyard.

                            Staying at the Bayview Hotel was great, especially as it used to be my
                            grandparents family home! My grandfather, Charles Duncan Rice was
                            Rector of Peterhead Academy and I was able to find several references
                            to him in the archives at the library.

                            Kathy
                          • Anne Allan
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 5, 2008
                              Hi Kathy
                              I am very happy that we managed to help you while you were in Peterhead.
                              I hope that you will come back again sometime once we have our Family
                              History Centre up and running.

                              I was also very interested in your Mary Ann Davidson.
                              I have a Mary Ann Davidson, born late 1840 ( 7m old in 1841 Census). I
                              have lost track for her after 1851 when she was at Forehill, Peterhead.
                              Would it be the same one?

                              Anne
                            • Kathy Trevelyan
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 6, 2008
                                Hi Anne,

                                my Mary Ann was born on June 14th 1825 in Peterhead and married George Rennie in 1850. In the 1941 census she is a servant in Rose Street Peterhead. Her parents were Robert Davidson b. 1791 and Margaret Milne b. either 1788 or 1791 - I don't know which Margaret she was as there are, unfortunately, two both born in Peterhead. Perhaps your Mary Ann is a niece? Do you have her parents names?

                                Happy researching!
                                Kathy

                                To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: anneallan@...: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 22:27:13 +0000Subject: [Peterhead] Re: St Peters Churchyard Memorials: CD Review

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 30, 2008
                                  Could someone give details how to obtain the CD from Peterhead churchyard?
                                  *St Peters Churchyard Memorials: CD *Thanks Steve

                                  On 04/03/2008, kathytrevelyan <kathytrevelyan@...> wrote:

                                  > I'd like to send a huge thank you to all involved in the CD project. I
                                  > was in Peterhead for the first time this weekend and Allen was kind
                                  > enough to bring a copy of the CD to my hotel. Within five minutes I'd
                                  > found the stone of a many times great aunt, Mary Ann Davidson and her
                                  > Husband George Rennie and their children. I also have several other
                                  > possible ancestors in the kirkyard.
                                  >
                                  > Staying at the Bayview Hotel was great, especially as it used to be my
                                  > grandparents family home! My grandfather, Charles Duncan Rice was
                                  > Rector of Peterhead Academy and I was able to find several references
                                  > to him in the archives at the library.
                                  >
                                  > Kathy

                                • Ed Campbell
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 30, 2008
                                    Hello Ann:

                                    I am going to post office to get a pound sterling money order (unless you
                                    can now accept Visa) and need to know what the new postal rate will be for
                                    the CD.

                                    I will include both my application for membership and order for the world
                                    famous CD.

                                    Thanks for all you efforts!

                                    Ed. Campbell

                                  • Anne Allan
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008
                                      Steve wrote:

                                      Could someone give details how to obtain the CD from Peterhead churchyard?
                                      *St Peters Churchyard Memorials: CD *Thanks Steve

                                      The CD " St Peter's Churchyard Memorials" is available from the Family
                                      History Society of Buchan.
                                      I can email out an order form to anyone who would like one.

                                      Regards

                                      Anne
                                    • Celtic Mist

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 2, 2008
                                          Hello Anne,

                                          Would you email me a form for the St Peters Kirkyard Memorials CD.

                                          Thank you,
                                          F Reid

                                        • Jill Haworth
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009
                                            Is it still possible to obtain the CD from St.Peter's Churchyard Memorials? I am looking for further info on Mary McKay-lair A197.
                                            Regards,
                                            Jill

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                                              Hi Jill
                                              Yes the CD of St Peter's Churchyard is still available. Please see our
                                              website's shop page to order it.- www.fhsb.org.uk.

                                              You may also be interested in knowing that the Constitution Street
                                              Cemetery (Peterhead) will be out on CD within a month. Details of this
                                              are also on the site with an opportunity for members of the society to
                                              pre-order at a special price.

                                              Anne