Sudden Death - George Davidson

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 1998
      Hi Jim,

      > My gggm Jean Cameron ms Davidson' s younger brother George died an untimely
      > death 18 Sept. 1868. The Register of Corrected Entries show choking as cause
      > of death. Did Peterhead have a newspaper at that time where I might learn
      > more?

      "The Buchan Observer", Friday 18/9/1868 (weekly newspaper)

      Sudden Death - A case of very suedden death under peculiar circumstances
      occurred at Strilinghill Wednesday night. A man named George Davidson,
      son of Mr Alex. Davidson, crofter, and occupant of a crofter near his
      father's, choked while eating a piece of meat on Wednesday evening, and
      immediately expired. The unfortunate man had just returned from Boddam
      where he had been employed as a carter during the herring fishing. He
      had been drinking, but was not much the worse of liquor. Deceased was
      about 30 years of age and unmarried. Dr.Forbes was in attendance, but,
      of coarse, his services were to no avail.

      Police Court: Simon Cameron, shoemaker, Peterhead, failed to appear to
      answer to a charge of breach of the peace, and his bail of 10s was
      forfeited. (Just in case this is also yours)

      Friday 25/9/1868 Death Notice
      At Strillinghill, suddenly on the 16 inst. Geo Davidson crofter.