Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865

  • yetidavidson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
      Julian,

      Re Alexander's occupation all I can find is an 1851 census entry that
      is probably him - Agricultural Labourer at Pitgersie, Foveran. I'll
      let you know if I find anything more.

      Regards. Ian

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Julian Lovegrove
      <julianlovegrove@...> wrote:

      > Hello Ian
      > Thank you for your detailed reply.
      >
      > If we assume that Alex is your Alexander, and he visited Ceylon for
      a few years, then he would have needed a reason to go there, may be
      he was in the Army or Navy? or else his father John, 'may' have been
      a brother of my Andrew Davidson (born c1790 - 1800), who owned
      plantations in Ceylon.

      > Do you know what your Alexander's occupation was?
      >
      > Meanwhile I'll have to keep this one open as a 'possibility' yet to
      be proved or disproved.

      > Thank you kindly
      >
      > Julian Lovegrove
      >
      > 21 Seafield Road
      >
      > Broadstairs
      >
      > Kent CT10 2DD
      >
      > England
      >
      > Business Website: www.antiqueswestmalling.co.uk
      >
      > > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: Vanitha.Davidson@...
      > > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:28:34 +0000
      > > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan
      Directory 1865

      > > Hello Julian,
      > >
      > > My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street in
      > > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
      > > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in
      1865 is
      > > related.
      > >
      > > David's father was William, a butcher at variously 15, 17 and 19
      Kirk
      > > Street as recorded on census returns 1871 to 1891.
      > >
      > > William had a brother Alexander. It is possible that this is
      Alex
      > > Davidson referred to in the almanac. I haven't been able to
      find
      > > this Alexander in the 1861 census so he could have been in
      Ceylon??

      > > Alexander Davidson was born in 1829 in Slains, his parents were
      John
      > > and Agnes.
      > >
      > > I suspect that all of this is not much use to you! I have not
      come
      > > across any Andrew Davidsons in my family tree, nor am I aware of
      any
      > > 19th century family connections with Ceylon.
      > >
      > > Regards. Ian
      > >
      > > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <julianlovegrove@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello readers, this is my first post here.
      > > > I've spotted this in a list taken from the above publication:
      > > >
      > > > "Davidson, Alex (late of Ceylon) 14 Kirk Street"
      > > > I'm researching Davidson's who had plantations in Ceylon, and
      am
      > > stuck
      > > > at Andrew Davidson and his wife Martha unknown bn c 1795 at
      place
      > > > unknown. Living and raising family in Ceylon in 1820's. First
      child
      > > > named Andrew Alexander Davidson bn 1823.
      > > >
      > > > Its possible that the quoted Alex Davidson is related to my
      Andrew.
      > > > Does anyone here have information on Davidson's who went to
      Ceylon,

      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com