family names from Peterhead- Rice, Davidson, Milne

  • kathytrevelyan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2008
      Hi everyone,
      I have just joined the group, so here is the info I have on my
      Peterhead conections;
      My Dad, William Rice, was born in 1913 and grew up at 3 Peter Street,
      now a hotel. His father Charles Duncan Rice was rector of Peterhead
      Academy. He died in 1930. He was the adopted by Duncan and Wilhelmina
      Rice, his birth mother was Jane Davidson b.1845 Old Machar, Aberdeen.
      Her father was Robert Davidson b. 1826 in Peterhead and married to
      Georgina Russel from Old Machar, Aberdeen. Robert's father was Robert
      Davidson b. 1791 in Peterhead and he married Margaret Milne. I can't
      find any record of their marriage, so I don't know if she was also from
      Peterhead. Robert's father was Alexander Davidson, shipmaster in
      Peterhead but unfortunately his mother is unrecorded in the OPRs.
      I have a tree on Ancestry, it's called Kathy Trevelyan's Tree, please
      feel free to have a look!
      If anyone is working on the same family I'd love to share info,
      Happy researching,
      Kathy
    • Julian
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "kathytrevelyan"
        <kathytrevelyan@...> wrote:

        Robert's father was Alexander Davidson, shipmaster in
        > Peterhead

        Hello Kathy,
        I'm searching for Alexander and Andrew Davidson's.
        My Andrew 'might' be a brother of your Robert, as he was born abt 1795
        and I suspect his father was an Alexander Davidson. Do you have a
        marriage or death details for your Alexander Davidson?

        My Andrew was prob born in Ceylon, where he married in abt 1820. He
        owned plantations there,

        If you let me have your e-mail address, I can attach a PDF file with
        the known details.

        > I have a tree on Ancestry, it's called Kathy Trevelyan's Tree, please
        > feel free to have a look!

        How does one look up someones tree on Ancestry? I've got my own tree
        on there, and its one click for me to visit it. However I can't work
        out how to visit other named trees. I've tried searching, but they
        want a surname, and you get thousands of trees to choose from.

        Kind regards
        Julian Lovegrove

      • Kathy Trevelyan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008
          Hi Julian,

          I've attached the records of Alexander's sons, Robert, Alexander and William who were born in Peterhead and registered as a 'batch' and daughter Elizabeth b1798. These are the only births to Alexander Davidson, shipmaster, that Scotland's People comes up with.
          Alexander was a shipmaster so he may well have travelled to Ceylon. I have him as master of the Vine :- VINE of Peterhead, master Davidson from Thurso to Pictou (Nova Scotia) 12 June 1816.
          Sorry I can't be more helpful. Do you know that your Davidsons were from Peterhead? If I come across an Andrew I'll be in touch.
          My email is kathytrevelyan@... if you would like to send me the pdf. I can invite you as a guest to the Ancestry tree if you give me your email.

          Good luck!
          Kathy

          To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: julianlovegrove@...: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:04:46 +0000Subject: [Peterhead] Re: family names from Peterhead- Rice, Davidson, Milne

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "kathytrevelyan"<kathytrevelyan@...> wrote:Robert's father was Alexander Davidson, shipmaster in > Peterhead Hello Kathy,I'm searching for Alexander and Andrew Davidson's.My Andrew 'might' be a brother of your Robert, as he was born abt 1795and I suspect his father was an Alexander Davidson. Do you have amarriage or death details for your Alexander Davidson?My Andrew was prob born in Ceylon, where he married in abt 1820. Heowned plantations there, If you let me have your e-mail address, I can attach a PDF file withthe known details.> I have a tree on Ancestry, it's called Kathy Trevelyan's Tree, please > feel free to have a look!How does one look up someones tree on Ancestry? I've got my own treeon there, and its one click for me to visit it. However I can't workout how to visit other named trees. I've tried searching, but theywant a surname, and you get thousands of trees to choose from.Kind regardsJulian Lovegrove>

        • Julian Lovegrove
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2008
            I visited the National Archives yesterday and found the following which might interest someone here:Arnold Wright CARDNO bn Peterhead 1892 Certified ships Engineer 2nd Class on 3 Nov 1915 at Sydney, NSW.Source: BT 140 Vol 3 Registers of certificates of Competency, Engineers, Colonial (1870-1921)Julian Lovegrove
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 7:03 AM
              Richard

              If you look at my web site http://angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead you will find
              the Cardno family of Peterhead. Also
              I have some Pattullo's from the Dundee area that date around mid to late
              1700s. Don't know if this is the same
              family that you are researching, Pattillo.

              Cheers
              Jim Allan
            • R.J.B.Collinson
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1 7:09 AM