RE: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865

  • Julian Lovegrove
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
      Hello Group
      Isabel Sangster,

      You might like to know when I checked Scotlands People for Alexander Davidson's, I found the death record ref:232/00 0186 in 1868 of Alexander Davidson, a Mason, married to Isobela Sangster, he died at Stirlinghill on 15th December, aged 78 yrs, Father: William Davidson decd, Mother: Margaret Davidson decd (nee Morice) Informant: David Davidson, son.

      I don't know if Stirlinghill is a house name, or a place name, and if it is near to 14 Kirk Street Peterhead?

      My own Andrew Davidson named his first son, Andrew Alexander, so I am wondering if that gives a clue to his father's name? Andrew or Alexander? what do people here think please?

      Julian Lovegrove

      21 Seafield Road

      Broadstairs

      Kent CT10 2DD

      England

    • Henderson, Roy
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
        Stirling Village is a few houses beside the main road at the junction to Boddam. Stirling Hill is the area just to the south and includes the granite quarry. As the name suggests, it is a hill.

        This is about 3 miles south of Peterhead.

        Roy

        You might like to know when I checked Scotlands People for Alexander Davidson's, I found the death record ref:232/00 0186 in 1868 of Alexander Davidson, a Mason, married to Isobela Sangster, he died at Stirlinghill on 15th December, aged 78 yrs, Father: William Davidson decd, Mother: Margaret Davidson decd (nee Morice) Informant: David Davidson, son.

        I don't know if Stirlinghill is a house name, or a place name, and if it is near to 14 Kirk Street Peterhead?

        My own Andrew Davidson named his first son, Andrew Alexander, so I am wondering if that gives a clue to his father's name? Andrew or Alexander? what do people here think please?

        Julian Lovegrove

        21 Seafield Road

        Broadstairs

        Kent CT10 2DD

        England

        > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>
        > From: mbdjbt@... <mailto:mbdjbt%40shaw.ca>
        > Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:57:23 -0800
        > Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865
        >
        > Hello group, My Great Grandfather was Alexander Davidson, from the Peterhead area.Born Jan 15,1821. He married Jean Valentine in the chapel in Ellon Date April 1/1854 They then emigrated to Canada.He had a brother John Davidson
        > I am trying to locate his father, who was also Alexander.Davidson.He attended the University of Edinborough around 1795, and wrote a thesis in Latin, which my brother still has. That is all we know.He may have been married to Isabel Sangster, tho' I reached a dead end there.Does this fit with anybody elses Davidson's?

        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

        of this communication or message.

      • haworth.jill
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:
          >Hello George: My great-great grandfather was John Slesser(or) from
          Peterhead. His parents were Alexander Slesser and Mary McKay. John
          Slesser was born in 1817 and his brother George was born in 1806. Do
          you think there is any connection with your Margaret Slesser?
          Jill

          > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
          >
          > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
          Kirk Street
          > in
          > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
          > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
          is
          > related.
          >

          > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
          of Kirk
          > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
          Henrietta
          > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
          >
          > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
          >
          > george
          >

          > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
          shape.
          > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
          NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

        • george4705@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
            In a message dated 01/14/2008 9:16:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            jial@... writes:

            Hello George: My great-great grandfather was John Slesser(or) from
            Peterhead. His parents were Alexander Slesser and Mary McKay. John
            Slesser was born in 1817 and his brother George was born in 1806. Do
            you think there is any connection with your Margaret Slesser?
            Jill

            There may be a connection but I can't make it based on very little info I
            have on Margaret Slesser married to John Dinnes.
            Margaret SLESSER
            ABT 1765 - ____
            * BIRTH: ABT 1765
            Family 1 : _John DINNES _
            (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0010/g0000070.html#I14853)
            * MARRIAGE: Not found
            1. _Richard DINNES _
            (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0017/g0000025.html#I14193)
            2. _Maragret DINNES _
            (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0012/g0000070.html#I14855)
            3. _Mary Hay DINNES _
            (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0013/g0000070.html#I14856)
            4. +_Henrietta DINNES _
            (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0001/g0000076.html#I12423)
            5. _Christian DINNES _
            (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0014/g0000070.html#I14857)
            6. _William DINNES _
            (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0011/g0000070.html#I14854)
            george

          • yetidavidson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
              Julian,

              Re Alexander's occupation all I can find is an 1851 census entry that
              is probably him - Agricultural Labourer at Pitgersie, Foveran. I'll
              let you know if I find anything more.

              Regards. Ian

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Julian Lovegrove
              <julianlovegrove@...> wrote:

              > Hello Ian
              > Thank you for your detailed reply.
              >
              > If we assume that Alex is your Alexander, and he visited Ceylon for
              a few years, then he would have needed a reason to go there, may be
              he was in the Army or Navy? or else his father John, 'may' have been
              a brother of my Andrew Davidson (born c1790 - 1800), who owned
              plantations in Ceylon.

              > Do you know what your Alexander's occupation was?
              >
              > Meanwhile I'll have to keep this one open as a 'possibility' yet to
              be proved or disproved.

              > Thank you kindly
              >
              > Julian Lovegrove
              >
              > 21 Seafield Road
              >
              > Broadstairs
              >
              > Kent CT10 2DD
              >
              > England
              >
              > Business Website: www.antiqueswestmalling.co.uk
              >
              > > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
              > > From: Vanitha.Davidson@...
              > > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:28:34 +0000
              > > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan
              Directory 1865

              > > Hello Julian,
              > >
              > > My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street in
              > > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
              > > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in
              1865 is
              > > related.
              > >
              > > David's father was William, a butcher at variously 15, 17 and 19
              Kirk
              > > Street as recorded on census returns 1871 to 1891.
              > >
              > > William had a brother Alexander. It is possible that this is
              Alex
              > > Davidson referred to in the almanac. I haven't been able to
              find
              > > this Alexander in the 1861 census so he could have been in
              Ceylon??

              > > Alexander Davidson was born in 1829 in Slains, his parents were
              John
              > > and Agnes.
              > >
              > > I suspect that all of this is not much use to you! I have not
              come
              > > across any Andrew Davidsons in my family tree, nor am I aware of
              any
              > > 19th century family connections with Ceylon.
              > >
              > > Regards. Ian
              > >
              > > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <julianlovegrove@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello readers, this is my first post here.
              > > > I've spotted this in a list taken from the above publication:
              > > >
              > > > "Davidson, Alex (late of Ceylon) 14 Kirk Street"
              > > > I'm researching Davidson's who had plantations in Ceylon, and
              am
              > > stuck
              > > > at Andrew Davidson and his wife Martha unknown bn c 1795 at
              place
              > > > unknown. Living and raising family in Ceylon in 1820's. First
              child
              > > > named Andrew Alexander Davidson bn 1823.
              > > >
              > > > Its possible that the quoted Alex Davidson is related to my
              Andrew.
              > > > Does anyone here have information on Davidson's who went to
              Ceylon,