Re: [Peterhead] Family Names in Peterhead

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2008
      Hello Flo,
      I'm not sure if this will be any help � I also have a family called
      Milne in my tree, but my info comes from some years earlier than the
      period you are asking about. However since some of the Christian names
      are the same, there could be a connection with the family you are
      interested in.

      William MILNE, seaman, married Elizabeth FORBES in Peterhead in 1821.
      They had the following children: William, Elizabeth Ritchie, John,
      Forbes, Margaret, Helen, James, Francis Silver and Robert Alexander.
      In 1853, Helen married William Nicol, a harpooner on the whaling ship
      "Alert". They had three children, Matthew, William Francis and Helen
      Janet. William died of scurvy while away on a whaling expedition in
      1861. Helen later married John Faith, a seaman in the Royal Navy, and
      had four more children. I have evidence that suggests that the family
      later emigrated to Cape Town, but it's not conclusive. Would be
      grateful if anyone can add any info about this family.

      Let me know, Flo, if you want to know more about these Milnes.

      Mary

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...