Family Names in Peterhead

  • flo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2008
      Hello Listers,

      I seem to have trouble accessing the Peterhead website but here goes again.
      Researching family names....MACKIE, MILNE, ROBERTSON, BUCHAN,
      SANGSTER. McKENZIE.
      Some lived in Fish Lane and Queen Street 1870's & 1880's. Men were
      mostly fishermen or seamen
      The widow of James MILNE married Robert BUCHAN.
      William MILNE,eldest son of James Milne & Jane SANGSTER married
      Barbara Smith Robertson dau/of Alexander ROBERTSON and Christian/
      Christina McKENZIE whose Mother's maiden name was Ann MACKIE.

      William and Barbara MILNE came to New Zealand in 1883 with 4 children
      and settled in the Taranaki area.

      Anyone resaerching these families ??

      Also interestedin the Peterhead Cemetery CD.

      Regards Flo. JOHNS NZ flojo@...

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2008
        Hello Flo,
        I'm not sure if this will be any help � I also have a family called
        Milne in my tree, but my info comes from some years earlier than the
        period you are asking about. However since some of the Christian names
        are the same, there could be a connection with the family you are
        interested in.

        William MILNE, seaman, married Elizabeth FORBES in Peterhead in 1821.
        They had the following children: William, Elizabeth Ritchie, John,
        Forbes, Margaret, Helen, James, Francis Silver and Robert Alexander.
        In 1853, Helen married William Nicol, a harpooner on the whaling ship
        "Alert". They had three children, Matthew, William Francis and Helen
        Janet. William died of scurvy while away on a whaling expedition in
        1861. Helen later married John Faith, a seaman in the Royal Navy, and
        had four more children. I have evidence that suggests that the family
        later emigrated to Cape Town, but it's not conclusive. Would be
        grateful if anyone can add any info about this family.

        Let me know, Flo, if you want to know more about these Milnes.

        Mary

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...