RE: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865

  • Julian Lovegrove
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
      Hello Ian
      Thank you for your detailed reply.

      If we assume that Alex is your Alexander, and he visited Ceylon for a few years, then he would have needed a reason to go there, may be he was in the Army or Navy? or else his father John, 'may' have been a brother of my Andrew Davidson (born c1790 - 1800), who owned plantations in Ceylon.

      Do you know what your Alexander's occupation was?

      Meanwhile I'll have to keep this one open as a 'possibility' yet to be proved or disproved.

      Thank you kindly

      Julian Lovegrove

      21 Seafield Road

      Broadstairs

      Kent CT10 2DD

      England

      Business Website: www.antiqueswestmalling.co.uk

      > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      > From: Vanitha.Davidson@...
      > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:28:34 +0000
      > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865
      >
      > Hello Julian,
      >
      > My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street in
      > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
      > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865 is
      > related.
      >
      > David's father was William, a butcher at variously 15, 17 and 19 Kirk
      > Street as recorded on census returns 1871 to 1891.
      >
      > William had a brother Alexander. It is possible that this is Alex
      > Davidson referred to in the almanac. I haven't been able to find
      > this Alexander in the 1861 census so he could have been in Ceylon??
      >
      > Alexander Davidson was born in 1829 in Slains, his parents were John
      > and Agnes.
      >
      > I suspect that all of this is not much use to you! I have not come
      > across any Andrew Davidsons in my family tree, nor am I aware of any
      > 19th century family connections with Ceylon.
      >
      > Regards. Ian
      >
      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <julianlovegrove@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello readers, this is my first post here.
      > > I've spotted this in a list taken from the above publication:
      > >
      > > "Davidson, Alex (late of Ceylon) 14 Kirk Street"
      > > I'm researching Davidson's who had plantations in Ceylon, and am
      > stuck
      > > at Andrew Davidson and his wife Martha unknown bn c 1795 at place
      > > unknown. Living and raising family in Ceylon in 1820's. First child
      > > named Andrew Alexander Davidson bn 1823.
      > >
      > > Its possible that the quoted Alex Davidson is related to my Andrew.
      > > Does anyone here have information on Davidson's who went to Ceylon,
      > > possibly with the Army or civil service, anytime before c1830
      > >
      > > Also I havent a clue how to progress my enquiries further, any ideas
      > > please?
      > > Kind regards
      > > Julian

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • yetidavidson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
        Hello George,

        There doesn't appear to be any obvious connection with your
        Davidsons, but here are some more details anyway:

        David Davidson: father William Davidson, mother Jane Cowie

        William Davidson born 1838 Slains, father John Davidson, mother Agnes
        Sangster. William had several brothers and sisters including John,
        born 1824 and Alexander born 1829. Married Jane Cowie in 1861.

        John Davidson (snr) born 1792 Cruden, married Agnes Sangster in
        Slains in 1819, married Jessie Barclay after the death of Agnes,
        farmer at Broadleyhill, Slains until his death in 1864. Father was
        Alexander Davidson, mother Margaret Gibson.

        Regards, Ian

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
        >
        > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
        Kirk Street
        > in
        > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
        > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
        is
        > related.
        >

        > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
        of Kirk
        > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
        Henrietta
        > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
        >
        > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
        >
        > george
      • Diana Beatty
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
          Hello group, My Great Grandfather was Alexander Davidson, from the Peterhead area.Born Jan 15,1821. He married Jean Valentine in the chapel in Ellon Date April 1/1854 They then emigrated to Canada.He had a brother John Davidson
          I am trying to locate his father, who was also Alexander.Davidson.He attended the University of Edinborough around 1795, and wrote a thesis in Latin, which my brother still has. That is all we know.He may have been married to Isabel Sangster, tho' I reached a dead end there.Does this fit with anybody elses Davidson's?

          There doesn't appear to be any obvious connection with your
          Davidsons, but here are some more details anyway:

          David Davidson: father William Davidson, mother Jane Cowie

          William Davidson born 1838 Slains, father John Davidson, mother Agnes
          Sangster. William had several brothers and sisters including John,
          born 1824 and Alexander born 1829. Married Jane Cowie in 1861.

          John Davidson (snr) born 1792 Cruden, married Agnes Sangster in
          Slains in 1819, married Jessie Barclay after the death of Agnes,
          farmer at Broadleyhill, Slains until his death in 1864. Father was
          Alexander Davidson, mother Margaret Gibson.

          Regards, Ian

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
          >
          > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
          Kirk Street
          > in
          > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
          > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
          is
          > related.
          >

          > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
          of Kirk
          > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
          Henrietta
          > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
          >
          > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
          >
          > george

        • Julian Lovegrove
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
            Hello Group
            Isabel Sangster,

            You might like to know when I checked Scotlands People for Alexander Davidson's, I found the death record ref:232/00 0186 in 1868 of Alexander Davidson, a Mason, married to Isobela Sangster, he died at Stirlinghill on 15th December, aged 78 yrs, Father: William Davidson decd, Mother: Margaret Davidson decd (nee Morice) Informant: David Davidson, son.

            I don't know if Stirlinghill is a house name, or a place name, and if it is near to 14 Kirk Street Peterhead?

            My own Andrew Davidson named his first son, Andrew Alexander, so I am wondering if that gives a clue to his father's name? Andrew or Alexander? what do people here think please?

            Julian Lovegrove

            21 Seafield Road

            Broadstairs

            Kent CT10 2DD

            England

          • Henderson, Roy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
              Stirling Village is a few houses beside the main road at the junction to Boddam. Stirling Hill is the area just to the south and includes the granite quarry. As the name suggests, it is a hill.

              This is about 3 miles south of Peterhead.

              Roy

              You might like to know when I checked Scotlands People for Alexander Davidson's, I found the death record ref:232/00 0186 in 1868 of Alexander Davidson, a Mason, married to Isobela Sangster, he died at Stirlinghill on 15th December, aged 78 yrs, Father: William Davidson decd, Mother: Margaret Davidson decd (nee Morice) Informant: David Davidson, son.

              I don't know if Stirlinghill is a house name, or a place name, and if it is near to 14 Kirk Street Peterhead?

              My own Andrew Davidson named his first son, Andrew Alexander, so I am wondering if that gives a clue to his father's name? Andrew or Alexander? what do people here think please?

              Julian Lovegrove

              21 Seafield Road

              Broadstairs

              Kent CT10 2DD

              England

              > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>
              > From: mbdjbt@... <mailto:mbdjbt%40shaw.ca>
              > Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:57:23 -0800
              > Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865
              >
              > Hello group, My Great Grandfather was Alexander Davidson, from the Peterhead area.Born Jan 15,1821. He married Jean Valentine in the chapel in Ellon Date April 1/1854 They then emigrated to Canada.He had a brother John Davidson
              > I am trying to locate his father, who was also Alexander.Davidson.He attended the University of Edinborough around 1795, and wrote a thesis in Latin, which my brother still has. That is all we know.He may have been married to Isabel Sangster, tho' I reached a dead end there.Does this fit with anybody elses Davidson's?

              CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

              of this communication or message.

            • haworth.jill
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:
                >Hello George: My great-great grandfather was John Slesser(or) from
                Peterhead. His parents were Alexander Slesser and Mary McKay. John
                Slesser was born in 1817 and his brother George was born in 1806. Do
                you think there is any connection with your Margaret Slesser?
                Jill

                > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
                >
                > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
                Kirk Street
                > in
                > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
                > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
                is
                > related.
                >

                > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
                of Kirk
                > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
                Henrietta
                > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
                >
                > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
                >
                > george
                >

                > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
                shape.
                > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
                NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

              • george4705@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                  In a message dated 01/14/2008 9:16:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  jial@... writes:

                  Hello George: My great-great grandfather was John Slesser(or) from
                  Peterhead. His parents were Alexander Slesser and Mary McKay. John
                  Slesser was born in 1817 and his brother George was born in 1806. Do
                  you think there is any connection with your Margaret Slesser?
                  Jill

                  There may be a connection but I can't make it based on very little info I
                  have on Margaret Slesser married to John Dinnes.
                  Margaret SLESSER
                  ABT 1765 - ____
                  * BIRTH: ABT 1765
                  Family 1 : _John DINNES _
                  (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0010/g0000070.html#I14853)
                  * MARRIAGE: Not found
                  1. _Richard DINNES _
                  (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0017/g0000025.html#I14193)
                  2. _Maragret DINNES _
                  (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0012/g0000070.html#I14855)
                  3. _Mary Hay DINNES _
                  (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0013/g0000070.html#I14856)
                  4. +_Henrietta DINNES _
                  (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0001/g0000076.html#I12423)
                  5. _Christian DINNES _
                  (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0014/g0000070.html#I14857)
                  6. _William DINNES _
                  (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0011/g0000070.html#I14854)
                  george

                • yetidavidson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
                    Julian,

                    Re Alexander's occupation all I can find is an 1851 census entry that
                    is probably him - Agricultural Labourer at Pitgersie, Foveran. I'll
                    let you know if I find anything more.

                    Regards. Ian

                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Julian Lovegrove