Re: [Peterhead] From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865

  • H MOON
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2008
      I have aGeorge Davidson 1790 married Margret Smart,( their son was called Alexander, )perhaps a brother of your Alexander will check it our
      Helen

      Julian <julianlovegrove@...> wrote:
      Hello readers, this is my first post here.
      I've spotted this in a list taken from the above publication:

      "Davidson, Alex (late of Ceylon) 14 Kirk Street"
      I'm researching Davidson's who had plantations in Ceylon, and am stuck
      at Andrew Davidson and his wife Martha unknown bn c 1795 at place
      unknown. Living and raising family in Ceylon in 1820's. First child
      named Andrew Alexander Davidson bn 1823.

      Its possible that the quoted Alex Davidson is related to my Andrew.
      Does anyone here have information on Davidson's who went to Ceylon,
      possibly with the Army or civil service, anytime before c1830

      Also I havent a clue how to progress my enquiries further, any ideas
      please?
      Kind regards
      Julian

    • yetidavidson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 11, 2008
        Hello Julian,

        My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street in
        December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
        likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865 is
        related.

        David's father was William, a butcher at variously 15, 17 and 19 Kirk
        Street as recorded on census returns 1871 to 1891.

        William had a brother Alexander. It is possible that this is Alex
        Davidson referred to in the almanac. I haven't been able to find
        this Alexander in the 1861 census so he could have been in Ceylon??

        Alexander Davidson was born in 1829 in Slains, his parents were John
        and Agnes.

        I suspect that all of this is not much use to you! I have not come
        across any Andrew Davidsons in my family tree, nor am I aware of any
        19th century family connections with Ceylon.

        Regards. Ian

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <julianlovegrove@...>

      • george4705@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 11, 2008
          In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:

          Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street
          in
          December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
          likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865 is
          related.

          Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all of Kirk
          and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson & Henrietta
          Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.

          Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.

          george

        • Julian Lovegrove
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
            Hello Ian
            Thank you for your detailed reply.

            If we assume that Alex is your Alexander, and he visited Ceylon for a few years, then he would have needed a reason to go there, may be he was in the Army or Navy? or else his father John, 'may' have been a brother of my Andrew Davidson (born c1790 - 1800), who owned plantations in Ceylon.

            Do you know what your Alexander's occupation was?

            Meanwhile I'll have to keep this one open as a 'possibility' yet to be proved or disproved.

            Thank you kindly

            Julian Lovegrove

            21 Seafield Road

            Broadstairs

            Kent CT10 2DD

            England

            Business Website: www.antiqueswestmalling.co.uk

            > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
            > From: Vanitha.Davidson@...
            > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:28:34 +0000
            > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865
            >
            > Hello Julian,
            >
            > My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street in
            > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
            > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865 is
            > related.
            >
            > David's father was William, a butcher at variously 15, 17 and 19 Kirk
            > Street as recorded on census returns 1871 to 1891.
            >
            > William had a brother Alexander. It is possible that this is Alex
            > Davidson referred to in the almanac. I haven't been able to find
            > this Alexander in the 1861 census so he could have been in Ceylon??
            >
            > Alexander Davidson was born in 1829 in Slains, his parents were John
            > and Agnes.
            >
            > I suspect that all of this is not much use to you! I have not come
            > across any Andrew Davidsons in my family tree, nor am I aware of any
            > 19th century family connections with Ceylon.
            >
            > Regards. Ian
            >
            > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <julianlovegrove@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello readers, this is my first post here.
            > > I've spotted this in a list taken from the above publication:
            > >
            > > "Davidson, Alex (late of Ceylon) 14 Kirk Street"
            > > I'm researching Davidson's who had plantations in Ceylon, and am
            > stuck
            > > at Andrew Davidson and his wife Martha unknown bn c 1795 at place
            > > unknown. Living and raising family in Ceylon in 1820's. First child
            > > named Andrew Alexander Davidson bn 1823.
            > >
            > > Its possible that the quoted Alex Davidson is related to my Andrew.
            > > Does anyone here have information on Davidson's who went to Ceylon,
            > > possibly with the Army or civil service, anytime before c1830
            > >
            > > Also I havent a clue how to progress my enquiries further, any ideas
            > > please?
            > > Kind regards
            > > Julian

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • yetidavidson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
              Hello George,

              There doesn't appear to be any obvious connection with your
              Davidsons, but here are some more details anyway:

              David Davidson: father William Davidson, mother Jane Cowie

              William Davidson born 1838 Slains, father John Davidson, mother Agnes
              Sangster. William had several brothers and sisters including John,
              born 1824 and Alexander born 1829. Married Jane Cowie in 1861.

              John Davidson (snr) born 1792 Cruden, married Agnes Sangster in
              Slains in 1819, married Jessie Barclay after the death of Agnes,
              farmer at Broadleyhill, Slains until his death in 1864. Father was
              Alexander Davidson, mother Margaret Gibson.

              Regards, Ian

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
              >
              > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
              Kirk Street
              > in
              > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
              > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
              is
              > related.
              >

              > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
              of Kirk
              > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
              Henrietta
              > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
              >
              > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
              >
              > george
            • Diana Beatty
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
                Hello group, My Great Grandfather was Alexander Davidson, from the Peterhead area.Born Jan 15,1821. He married Jean Valentine in the chapel in Ellon Date April 1/1854 They then emigrated to Canada.He had a brother John Davidson
                I am trying to locate his father, who was also Alexander.Davidson.He attended the University of Edinborough around 1795, and wrote a thesis in Latin, which my brother still has. That is all we know.He may have been married to Isabel Sangster, tho' I reached a dead end there.Does this fit with anybody elses Davidson's?

                There doesn't appear to be any obvious connection with your
                Davidsons, but here are some more details anyway:

                David Davidson: father William Davidson, mother Jane Cowie

                William Davidson born 1838 Slains, father John Davidson, mother Agnes
                Sangster. William had several brothers and sisters including John,
                born 1824 and Alexander born 1829. Married Jane Cowie in 1861.

                John Davidson (snr) born 1792 Cruden, married Agnes Sangster in
                Slains in 1819, married Jessie Barclay after the death of Agnes,
                farmer at Broadleyhill, Slains until his death in 1864. Father was
                Alexander Davidson, mother Margaret Gibson.

                Regards, Ian

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
                >
                > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
                Kirk Street
                > in
                > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
                > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
                is
                > related.
                >

                > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
                of Kirk
                > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
                Henrietta
                > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
                >
                > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
                >
                > george

              • Julian Lovegrove
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
                  Hello Group
                  Isabel Sangster,

                  You might like to know when I checked Scotlands People for Alexander Davidson's, I found the death record ref:232/00 0186 in 1868 of Alexander Davidson, a Mason, married to Isobela Sangster, he died at Stirlinghill on 15th December, aged 78 yrs, Father: William Davidson decd, Mother: Margaret Davidson decd (nee Morice) Informant: David Davidson, son.

                  I don't know if Stirlinghill is a house name, or a place name, and if it is near to 14 Kirk Street Peterhead?

                  My own Andrew Davidson named his first son, Andrew Alexander, so I am wondering if that gives a clue to his father's name? Andrew or Alexander? what do people here think please?

                  Julian Lovegrove

                  21 Seafield Road

                  Broadstairs

                  Kent CT10 2DD

                  England

                • Henderson, Roy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
                    Stirling Village is a few houses beside the main road at the junction to Boddam. Stirling Hill is the area just to the south and includes the granite quarry. As the name suggests, it is a hill.

                    This is about 3 miles south of Peterhead.

                    Roy

                    You might like to know when I checked Scotlands People for Alexander Davidson's, I found the death record ref:232/00 0186 in 1868 of Alexander Davidson, a Mason, married to Isobela Sangster, he died at Stirlinghill on 15th December, aged 78 yrs, Father: William Davidson decd, Mother: Margaret Davidson decd (nee Morice) Informant: David Davidson, son.

                    I don't know if Stirlinghill is a house name, or a place name, and if it is near to 14 Kirk Street Peterhead?

                    My own Andrew Davidson named his first son, Andrew Alexander, so I am wondering if that gives a clue to his father's name? Andrew or Alexander? what do people here think please?

                    Julian Lovegrove

                    21 Seafield Road

                    Broadstairs

                    Kent CT10 2DD

                    England

                    > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > From: mbdjbt@... <mailto:mbdjbt%40shaw.ca>
                    > Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:57:23 -0800
                    > Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865
                    >
                    > Hello group, My Great Grandfather was Alexander Davidson, from the Peterhead area.Born Jan 15,1821. He married Jean Valentine in the chapel in Ellon Date April 1/1854 They then emigrated to Canada.He had a brother John Davidson
                    > I am trying to locate his father, who was also Alexander.Davidson.He attended the University of Edinborough around 1795, and wrote a thesis in Latin, which my brother still has. That is all we know.He may have been married to Isabel Sangster, tho' I reached a dead end there.Does this fit with anybody elses Davidson's?

                    CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

                    of this communication or message.

                  • haworth.jill
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:
                      >Hello George: My great-great grandfather was John Slesser(or) from
                      Peterhead. His parents were Alexander Slesser and Mary McKay. John
                      Slesser was born in 1817 and his brother George was born in 1806. Do
                      you think there is any connection with your Margaret Slesser?
                      Jill

                      > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
                      >
                      > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
                      Kirk Street
                      > in
                      > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
                      > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
                      is
                      > related.
                      >

                      > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
                      of Kirk
                      > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
                      Henrietta
                      > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
                      >
                      > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
                      >
                      > george
                      >

                      > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
                      shape.
                      > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
                      NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

                    • george4705@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                        In a message dated 01/14/2008 9:16:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        jial@... writes:

                        Hello George: My great-great grandfather was John Slesser(or) from
                        Peterhead. His parents were Alexander Slesser and Mary McKay. John
                        Slesser was born in 1817 and his brother George was born in 1806. Do
                        you think there is any connection with your Margaret Slesser?
                        Jill

                        There may be a connection but I can't make it based on very little info I
                        have on Margaret Slesser married to John Dinnes.
                        Margaret SLESSER
                        ABT 1765 - ____
                        * BIRTH: ABT 1765
                        Family 1 : _John DINNES _
                        (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0010/g0000070.html#I14853)
                        * MARRIAGE: Not found
                        1. _Richard DINNES _
                        (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0017/g0000025.html#I14193)
                        2. _Maragret DINNES _
                        (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0012/g0000070.html#I14855)
                        3. _Mary Hay DINNES _
                        (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0013/g0000070.html#I14856)
                        4. +_Henrietta DINNES _
                        (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0001/g0000076.html#I12423)
                        5. _Christian DINNES _
                        (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0014/g0000070.html#I14857)
                        6. _William DINNES _
                        (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0011/g0000070.html#I14854)
                        george

                      • yetidavidson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
                          Julian,

                          Re Alexander's occupation all I can find is an 1851 census entry that
                          is probably him - Agricultural Labourer at Pitgersie, Foveran. I'll
                          let you know if I find anything more.

                          Regards. Ian

                          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Julian Lovegrove