From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865

  • Julian
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2008
      Hello readers, this is my first post here.
      I've spotted this in a list taken from the above publication:

      "Davidson, Alex (late of Ceylon) 14 Kirk Street"
      I'm researching Davidson's who had plantations in Ceylon, and am stuck
      at Andrew Davidson and his wife Martha unknown bn c 1795 at place
      unknown. Living and raising family in Ceylon in 1820's. First child
      named Andrew Alexander Davidson bn 1823.

      Its possible that the quoted Alex Davidson is related to my Andrew.
      Does anyone here have information on Davidson's who went to Ceylon,
      possibly with the Army or civil service, anytime before c1830

      Also I havent a clue how to progress my enquiries further, any ideas
      please?
      Kind regards
      Julian
    • H MOON

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 11, 2008
          Hello Julian,

          My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street in
          December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
          likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865 is
          related.

          David's father was William, a butcher at variously 15, 17 and 19 Kirk
          Street as recorded on census returns 1871 to 1891.

          William had a brother Alexander. It is possible that this is Alex
          Davidson referred to in the almanac. I haven't been able to find
          this Alexander in the 1861 census so he could have been in Ceylon??

          Alexander Davidson was born in 1829 in Slains, his parents were John
          and Agnes.

          I suspect that all of this is not much use to you! I have not come
          across any Andrew Davidsons in my family tree, nor am I aware of any
          19th century family connections with Ceylon.

          Regards. Ian

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <julianlovegrove@...>

        • george4705@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 11, 2008
            In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:

            Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street
            in
            December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
            likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865 is
            related.

            Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all of Kirk
            and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson & Henrietta
            Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.

            Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.

            george

          • Julian Lovegrove
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
              Hello Ian
              Thank you for your detailed reply.

              If we assume that Alex is your Alexander, and he visited Ceylon for a few years, then he would have needed a reason to go there, may be he was in the Army or Navy? or else his father John, 'may' have been a brother of my Andrew Davidson (born c1790 - 1800), who owned plantations in Ceylon.

              Do you know what your Alexander's occupation was?

              Meanwhile I'll have to keep this one open as a 'possibility' yet to be proved or disproved.

              Thank you kindly

              Julian Lovegrove

              21 Seafield Road

              Broadstairs

              Kent CT10 2DD

              England

              Business Website: www.antiqueswestmalling.co.uk

              > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
              > From: Vanitha.Davidson@...
              > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:28:34 +0000
              > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865
              >
              > Hello Julian,
              >
              > My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14 Kirk Street in
              > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
              > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865 is
              > related.
              >
              > David's father was William, a butcher at variously 15, 17 and 19 Kirk
              > Street as recorded on census returns 1871 to 1891.
              >
              > William had a brother Alexander. It is possible that this is Alex
              > Davidson referred to in the almanac. I haven't been able to find
              > this Alexander in the 1861 census so he could have been in Ceylon??
              >
              > Alexander Davidson was born in 1829 in Slains, his parents were John
              > and Agnes.
              >
              > I suspect that all of this is not much use to you! I have not come
              > across any Andrew Davidsons in my family tree, nor am I aware of any
              > 19th century family connections with Ceylon.
              >
              > Regards. Ian
              >
              > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <julianlovegrove@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello readers, this is my first post here.
              > > I've spotted this in a list taken from the above publication:
              > >
              > > "Davidson, Alex (late of Ceylon) 14 Kirk Street"
              > > I'm researching Davidson's who had plantations in Ceylon, and am
              > stuck
              > > at Andrew Davidson and his wife Martha unknown bn c 1795 at place
              > > unknown. Living and raising family in Ceylon in 1820's. First child
              > > named Andrew Alexander Davidson bn 1823.
              > >
              > > Its possible that the quoted Alex Davidson is related to my Andrew.
              > > Does anyone here have information on Davidson's who went to Ceylon,
              > > possibly with the Army or civil service, anytime before c1830
              > >
              > > Also I havent a clue how to progress my enquiries further, any ideas
              > > please?
              > > Kind regards
              > > Julian

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • yetidavidson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
                Hello George,

                There doesn't appear to be any obvious connection with your
                Davidsons, but here are some more details anyway:

                David Davidson: father William Davidson, mother Jane Cowie

                William Davidson born 1838 Slains, father John Davidson, mother Agnes
                Sangster. William had several brothers and sisters including John,
                born 1824 and Alexander born 1829. Married Jane Cowie in 1861.

                John Davidson (snr) born 1792 Cruden, married Agnes Sangster in
                Slains in 1819, married Jessie Barclay after the death of Agnes,
                farmer at Broadleyhill, Slains until his death in 1864. Father was
                Alexander Davidson, mother Margaret Gibson.

                Regards, Ian

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
                >
                > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
                Kirk Street
                > in
                > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
                > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
                is
                > related.
                >

                > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
                of Kirk
                > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
                Henrietta
                > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
                >
                > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
                >
                > george
              • Diana Beatty
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
                  Hello group, My Great Grandfather was Alexander Davidson, from the Peterhead area.Born Jan 15,1821. He married Jean Valentine in the chapel in Ellon Date April 1/1854 They then emigrated to Canada.He had a brother John Davidson
                  I am trying to locate his father, who was also Alexander.Davidson.He attended the University of Edinborough around 1795, and wrote a thesis in Latin, which my brother still has. That is all we know.He may have been married to Isabel Sangster, tho' I reached a dead end there.Does this fit with anybody elses Davidson's?

                  There doesn't appear to be any obvious connection with your
                  Davidsons, but here are some more details anyway:

                  David Davidson: father William Davidson, mother Jane Cowie

                  William Davidson born 1838 Slains, father John Davidson, mother Agnes
                  Sangster. William had several brothers and sisters including John,
                  born 1824 and Alexander born 1829. Married Jane Cowie in 1861.

                  John Davidson (snr) born 1792 Cruden, married Agnes Sangster in
                  Slains in 1819, married Jessie Barclay after the death of Agnes,
                  farmer at Broadleyhill, Slains until his death in 1864. Father was
                  Alexander Davidson, mother Margaret Gibson.

                  Regards, Ian

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
                  >
                  > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
                  Kirk Street
                  > in
                  > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
                  > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
                  is
                  > related.
                  >

                  > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
                  of Kirk
                  > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
                  Henrietta
                  > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
                  >
                  > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
                  >
                  > george

                • Julian Lovegrove
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
                    Hello Group
                    Isabel Sangster,

                    You might like to know when I checked Scotlands People for Alexander Davidson's, I found the death record ref:232/00 0186 in 1868 of Alexander Davidson, a Mason, married to Isobela Sangster, he died at Stirlinghill on 15th December, aged 78 yrs, Father: William Davidson decd, Mother: Margaret Davidson decd (nee Morice) Informant: David Davidson, son.

                    I don't know if Stirlinghill is a house name, or a place name, and if it is near to 14 Kirk Street Peterhead?

                    My own Andrew Davidson named his first son, Andrew Alexander, so I am wondering if that gives a clue to his father's name? Andrew or Alexander? what do people here think please?

                    Julian Lovegrove

                    21 Seafield Road

                    Broadstairs

                    Kent CT10 2DD

                    England

                  • Henderson, Roy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
                      Stirling Village is a few houses beside the main road at the junction to Boddam. Stirling Hill is the area just to the south and includes the granite quarry. As the name suggests, it is a hill.

                      This is about 3 miles south of Peterhead.

                      Roy

                      You might like to know when I checked Scotlands People for Alexander Davidson's, I found the death record ref:232/00 0186 in 1868 of Alexander Davidson, a Mason, married to Isobela Sangster, he died at Stirlinghill on 15th December, aged 78 yrs, Father: William Davidson decd, Mother: Margaret Davidson decd (nee Morice) Informant: David Davidson, son.

                      I don't know if Stirlinghill is a house name, or a place name, and if it is near to 14 Kirk Street Peterhead?

                      My own Andrew Davidson named his first son, Andrew Alexander, so I am wondering if that gives a clue to his father's name? Andrew or Alexander? what do people here think please?

                      Julian Lovegrove

                      21 Seafield Road

                      Broadstairs

                      Kent CT10 2DD

                      England

                      > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > From: mbdjbt@... <mailto:mbdjbt%40shaw.ca>
                      > Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:57:23 -0800
                      > Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Re: From Peterhead Almanac & Buchan Directory 1865
                      >
                      > Hello group, My Great Grandfather was Alexander Davidson, from the Peterhead area.Born Jan 15,1821. He married Jean Valentine in the chapel in Ellon Date April 1/1854 They then emigrated to Canada.He had a brother John Davidson
                      > I am trying to locate his father, who was also Alexander.Davidson.He attended the University of Edinborough around 1795, and wrote a thesis in Latin, which my brother still has. That is all we know.He may have been married to Isabel Sangster, tho' I reached a dead end there.Does this fit with anybody elses Davidson's?

                      CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

                      of this communication or message.

                    • haworth.jill
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:
                        >Hello George: My great-great grandfather was John Slesser(or) from
                        Peterhead. His parents were Alexander Slesser and Mary McKay. John
                        Slesser was born in 1817 and his brother George was born in 1806. Do
                        you think there is any connection with your Margaret Slesser?
                        Jill

                        > In a message dated 01/11/2008 2:29:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        > Vanitha.Davidson@... writes:
                        >
                        > Ian writes: My GreatGrandfather David Davidson was born at 14
                        Kirk Street
                        > in
                        > December 1867 according to the birth certificate. It would seem
                        > likely that the Alex Davidson resident at the same address in 1865
                        is
                        > related.
                        >

                        > Hi Ian...I have a Margaret Davidson dob 1829 married to Wm Hay. all
                        of Kirk
                        > and York St's Peterhead. Margaret's parents were John Davidson &
                        Henrietta
                        > Dinnes their parents John Dinnes & Margaret Slesser.
                        >
                        > Wonder if any conection. with your David Davidson.
                        >
                        > george
                        >

                        > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
                        shape.
                        > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
                        NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

                      • george4705@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                          In a message dated 01/14/2008 9:16:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                          jial@... writes:

                          Hello George: My great-great grandfather was John Slesser(or) from
                          Peterhead. His parents were Alexander Slesser and Mary McKay. John
                          Slesser was born in 1817 and his brother George was born in 1806. Do
                          you think there is any connection with your Margaret Slesser?
                          Jill

                          There may be a connection but I can't make it based on very little info I
                          have on Margaret Slesser married to John Dinnes.
                          Margaret SLESSER
                          ABT 1765 - ____
                          * BIRTH: ABT 1765
                          Family 1 : _John DINNES _
                          (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0010/g0000070.html#I14853)
                          * MARRIAGE: Not found
                          1. _Richard DINNES _
                          (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0017/g0000025.html#I14193)
                          2. _Maragret DINNES _
                          (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0012/g0000070.html#I14855)
                          3. _Mary Hay DINNES _
                          (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0013/g0000070.html#I14856)
                          4. +_Henrietta DINNES _
                          (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0001/g0000076.html#I12423)
                          5. _Christian DINNES _
                          (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0014/g0000070.html#I14857)
                          6. _William DINNES _
                          (http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0011/g0000070.html#I14854)
                          george

                        • yetidavidson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
                            Julian,

                            Re Alexander's occupation all I can find is an 1851 census entry that
                            is probably him - Agricultural Labourer at Pitgersie, Foveran. I'll
                            let you know if I find anything more.

                            Regards. Ian

                            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Julian Lovegrove