RE: [Peterhead] Introduction and request

  • Vivien Caughley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2007
      Kia Ora,

      These are indeed the family I am interested in. Upon Googling I find that
      in Google Books they have a book "Scottish Episcopal Clergy 1689-2000" by
      Davis M. Bertie, which in the entry for Bishop Kilgour adds issue of five
      daughters, but no sons:

      Katharin b. 20 Dec 1758 m. 29 May 1787 Alexander Schivas

      Christian d. 11 May 1789 (m. 1787 Rev Patrick Torry, Peterhead, later Bishop
      of St Andrews)

      Margaret b. 12 Sep 1778 m. Thomas Kilgour

      Dtr, m. Robert Kilgour

      Dtr, m. Mr Forbes

      Now, there's obviously some error there with some of the dates, but it means
      that Ann either married Robert Kilgour or Mr Forbes, whomever he may have
      been.

      I am researching some textiles in public collections here, and think I have
      found a connection to this particular Anne Kilgour. What I hope to find out
      is did any descendents of this line come to NZ? Possible also that a
      niece/nephew could also have come. What surnames did descendents of this
      family have? Did they later have connections with ship-owning families in
      Aberdeen?

      Also, what happened to the son Thomas Kilgour, - the family was daughter
      Isobel 1752, son Thomas 1754 , daughter Margaret 1756, daughter Katharine
      1758, daughter Anne 1760, daughter Christian 1765; parents Robert Kilgour
      and Margaret Arbuthnot; grandparents Robert Kilgour/Isobel Barron and Thomas
      Arbuthnot/Christian Young.

      Given that Anne's father, the Bishop, and her Arbuthnot grandfather were
      such prominent people (Google is a tremendous resource), what are the best
      books to consult regarding their life and times (as well as those of Anne in
      Peterhead from 1760 onwards)?

      Anything you can add here will be most gratefully received. From this
      distance I'm not quite sure where to go next.

      Vivien in Auckland

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
        Hi Vivien,
        This is what I found.
        The names you have given below are carried on in this family into the 1840's.

        Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau
        Katharine Kilgour born bap 7 Oct 1842
        before Roderick Gray and James Keith

        Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau born bap
        31 Jan 1840 named Christian Ann
        before Maxwell Forbes and Andrew Boyd

        Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a son Alexander
        born bap 23 Feb 1837
        before James Keith and Andrew Boyd

        Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a son William
        born bap 11 Aug 1834
        before James Keith and John Johnstone

        Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau Isabella
        born bap 6 May 1841
        before Robert Kide and Andrew Boyd

        22 July 1788, William Shivas, Merchant
        had a son baptised named Robert

        James Muirson, Seaman in Peterhead and Margaret Watson
        his wife a dau Catherine Kilgour Shivas
        born 26 July 1852 bap 2 Aug 1852
        before James Mathieson and John Wiseman

        PATRICK TORRY
        14 June 1799 Rev Patrick Torry a dau
        Christian witness James Forbes and John Harlaw Esq

        George Arbuthnot, Shipmaster in Peterhead and Susan Torry
        his wife a son George born 14 Sept 1849 bap 25 Oct 1849
        before the Episcopal Congregation

        26 July 1805 Rev Patrick Torry a son Thomas
        witnesses Rev William Laing and Gilbert Alexander

        10 Oct 1815 Robert Cordiner a son Robert
        witnesses Bishop Torry and James Scott

        27 March 1814 Robert Cordiner, Merchant in Peterhead
        a dau Jane
        witnesses Bishop Torry and james Scott

        26 March 1797 Rev Patrick Torry, Episcopal Minister
        in Peterhead a dau Mary Ann
        witnesses James Forbes snr and jnr

        5 Sept 1800 Rev Patrick Torry a son John
        witnesses James Forbes snr and jnr

        11 April 1817 Robert Cordiner a dau Mary
        witnesses Bishop Patrick Torry and Robert Scott

        THOMAS KILGOUR
        17 Dec 1772 Thomas Kilgour, Student of Physic
        James Forbes, Merchant, present

        3 April 1780 Thomas Kilgour, Manufacturer at
        Nether Kinmundy had a son Robert

        18 Oct 1753 Jean Cub wife of Thomas Arbuthnot jnr,
        Merchant, and Margaret Arbuthnot wife of Robert Kilgour,

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
          Kia Ora, Catherine,

          This is awesome. Thank you very much.

          Vivien in Auckland