Re: [Peterhead] Introduction and request

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
      HI Vivien,
      If you can tell me who Ann married I can see if there's anything about who she married.
      This is what I found, perhaps you already have it.

      Robert Kilgour, A.M. Pastor had a dau baptised Margaret

      Arbuthnot wife of Mr Robert Kilgour, minister of the Gospel
      Godmothers

      15 May 1754 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor had a son
      baptised Thomas by the Rev Mr Alexander Keith
      of Sandend of Cruden

      6 Nov 1773 Sophia Frazer, relic of the deceased Alexander Forbes
      merchant and Margaret Arbuthnot, wife of Rev Robert Kilgour
      Godmothers

      24 Dec 1758 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor
      had a dau baptised K atharine

      30 July 1760 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor
      had a dau baptised Ann by the Revd Mr John Jaffray
      of Lonmay

      2 March 1766 Margaret Arbuthnot, wife, of Mr Robert Kilgour
      minister of the Gospel, Godmother

      26 October 1765 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor
      had a dau baptised Christian

      20 April 1768 Margaret Arbuthnot wife of Robert Kilogour
      minister of the Gospel, and Margaret Arbuthnot wife of
      William Forbes, merchant, Godmothers

      26 October 1752 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor
      had a dau baptised Isobel
      by the Rev Mr John Jaffray in Craigalley

      Catherine

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2007
        Kia Ora,

        These are indeed the family I am interested in. Upon Googling I find that
        in Google Books they have a book "Scottish Episcopal Clergy 1689-2000" by
        Davis M. Bertie, which in the entry for Bishop Kilgour adds issue of five
        daughters, but no sons:

        Katharin b. 20 Dec 1758 m. 29 May 1787 Alexander Schivas

        Christian d. 11 May 1789 (m. 1787 Rev Patrick Torry, Peterhead, later Bishop
        of St Andrews)

        Margaret b. 12 Sep 1778 m. Thomas Kilgour

        Dtr, m. Robert Kilgour

        Dtr, m. Mr Forbes

        Now, there's obviously some error there with some of the dates, but it means
        that Ann either married Robert Kilgour or Mr Forbes, whomever he may have
        been.

        I am researching some textiles in public collections here, and think I have
        found a connection to this particular Anne Kilgour. What I hope to find out
        is did any descendents of this line come to NZ? Possible also that a
        niece/nephew could also have come. What surnames did descendents of this
        family have? Did they later have connections with ship-owning families in
        Aberdeen?

        Also, what happened to the son Thomas Kilgour, - the family was daughter
        Isobel 1752, son Thomas 1754 , daughter Margaret 1756, daughter Katharine
        1758, daughter Anne 1760, daughter Christian 1765; parents Robert Kilgour
        and Margaret Arbuthnot; grandparents Robert Kilgour/Isobel Barron and Thomas
        Arbuthnot/Christian Young.

        Given that Anne's father, the Bishop, and her Arbuthnot grandfather were
        such prominent people (Google is a tremendous resource), what are the best
        books to consult regarding their life and times (as well as those of Anne in
        Peterhead from 1760 onwards)?

        Anything you can add here will be most gratefully received. From this
        distance I'm not quite sure where to go next.

        Vivien in Auckland

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
          Hi Vivien,
          This is what I found.
          The names you have given below are carried on in this family into the 1840's.

          Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau
          Katharine Kilgour born bap 7 Oct 1842
          before Roderick Gray and James Keith

          Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau born bap
          31 Jan 1840 named Christian Ann
          before Maxwell Forbes and Andrew Boyd

          Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a son Alexander
          born bap 23 Feb 1837
          before James Keith and Andrew Boyd

          Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a son William
          born bap 11 Aug 1834
          before James Keith and John Johnstone

          Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau Isabella
          born bap 6 May 1841
          before Robert Kide and Andrew Boyd

          22 July 1788, William Shivas, Merchant
          had a son baptised named Robert

          James Muirson, Seaman in Peterhead and Margaret Watson
          his wife a dau Catherine Kilgour Shivas
          born 26 July 1852 bap 2 Aug 1852
          before James Mathieson and John Wiseman

          PATRICK TORRY
          14 June 1799 Rev Patrick Torry a dau
          Christian witness James Forbes and John Harlaw Esq

          George Arbuthnot, Shipmaster in Peterhead and Susan Torry
          his wife a son George born 14 Sept 1849 bap 25 Oct 1849
          before the Episcopal Congregation

          26 July 1805 Rev Patrick Torry a son Thomas
          witnesses Rev William Laing and Gilbert Alexander

          10 Oct 1815 Robert Cordiner a son Robert
          witnesses Bishop Torry and James Scott

          27 March 1814 Robert Cordiner, Merchant in Peterhead
          a dau Jane
          witnesses Bishop Torry and james Scott

          26 March 1797 Rev Patrick Torry, Episcopal Minister
          in Peterhead a dau Mary Ann
          witnesses James Forbes snr and jnr

          5 Sept 1800 Rev Patrick Torry a son John
          witnesses James Forbes snr and jnr

          11 April 1817 Robert Cordiner a dau Mary
          witnesses Bishop Patrick Torry and Robert Scott

          THOMAS KILGOUR
          17 Dec 1772 Thomas Kilgour, Student of Physic
          James Forbes, Merchant, present

          3 April 1780 Thomas Kilgour, Manufacturer at
          Nether Kinmundy had a son Robert

          18 Oct 1753 Jean Cub wife of Thomas Arbuthnot jnr,
          Merchant, and Margaret Arbuthnot wife of Robert Kilgour,

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
            Kia Ora, Catherine,

            This is awesome. Thank you very much.

            Vivien in Auckland