Introduction and request

  • Vivien Caughley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
      Kia Ora from New Zealand (Kia Ora is a Maori greeting),

      I am a researcher in Auckland and am interested in finding out all I can
      about the family of Robert KILGOUR, Episcopalian Bishop, his wife Margaret
      Arbuthnot, their life and times in Peterhead, and their descendents - they
      were parents to five daughters.

      I am especially interested in their daughter Ann Kilgour, christened 1760,
      and anything to do with her life, times, and descendents would be most
      gratefully received.

      Vivien in Auckland

    • Cci
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
        HI Vivien,
        If you can tell me who Ann married I can see if there's anything about who she married.
        This is what I found, perhaps you already have it.

        Robert Kilgour, A.M. Pastor had a dau baptised Margaret

        Arbuthnot wife of Mr Robert Kilgour, minister of the Gospel
        Godmothers

        15 May 1754 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor had a son
        baptised Thomas by the Rev Mr Alexander Keith
        of Sandend of Cruden

        6 Nov 1773 Sophia Frazer, relic of the deceased Alexander Forbes
        merchant and Margaret Arbuthnot, wife of Rev Robert Kilgour
        Godmothers

        24 Dec 1758 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor
        had a dau baptised K atharine

        30 July 1760 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor
        had a dau baptised Ann by the Revd Mr John Jaffray
        of Lonmay

        2 March 1766 Margaret Arbuthnot, wife, of Mr Robert Kilgour
        minister of the Gospel, Godmother

        26 October 1765 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor
        had a dau baptised Christian

        20 April 1768 Margaret Arbuthnot wife of Robert Kilogour
        minister of the Gospel, and Margaret Arbuthnot wife of
        William Forbes, merchant, Godmothers

        26 October 1752 Robert Kilgour A.M. Pastor
        had a dau baptised Isobel
        by the Rev Mr John Jaffray in Craigalley

        Catherine

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2007
          Kia Ora,

          These are indeed the family I am interested in. Upon Googling I find that
          in Google Books they have a book "Scottish Episcopal Clergy 1689-2000" by
          Davis M. Bertie, which in the entry for Bishop Kilgour adds issue of five
          daughters, but no sons:

          Katharin b. 20 Dec 1758 m. 29 May 1787 Alexander Schivas

          Christian d. 11 May 1789 (m. 1787 Rev Patrick Torry, Peterhead, later Bishop
          of St Andrews)

          Margaret b. 12 Sep 1778 m. Thomas Kilgour

          Dtr, m. Robert Kilgour

          Dtr, m. Mr Forbes

          Now, there's obviously some error there with some of the dates, but it means
          that Ann either married Robert Kilgour or Mr Forbes, whomever he may have
          been.

          I am researching some textiles in public collections here, and think I have
          found a connection to this particular Anne Kilgour. What I hope to find out
          is did any descendents of this line come to NZ? Possible also that a
          niece/nephew could also have come. What surnames did descendents of this
          family have? Did they later have connections with ship-owning families in
          Aberdeen?

          Also, what happened to the son Thomas Kilgour, - the family was daughter
          Isobel 1752, son Thomas 1754 , daughter Margaret 1756, daughter Katharine
          1758, daughter Anne 1760, daughter Christian 1765; parents Robert Kilgour
          and Margaret Arbuthnot; grandparents Robert Kilgour/Isobel Barron and Thomas
          Arbuthnot/Christian Young.

          Given that Anne's father, the Bishop, and her Arbuthnot grandfather were
          such prominent people (Google is a tremendous resource), what are the best
          books to consult regarding their life and times (as well as those of Anne in
          Peterhead from 1760 onwards)?

          Anything you can add here will be most gratefully received. From this
          distance I'm not quite sure where to go next.

          Vivien in Auckland

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
            Hi Vivien,
            This is what I found.
            The names you have given below are carried on in this family into the 1840's.

            Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau
            Katharine Kilgour born bap 7 Oct 1842
            before Roderick Gray and James Keith

            Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau born bap
            31 Jan 1840 named Christian Ann
            before Maxwell Forbes and Andrew Boyd

            Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a son Alexander
            born bap 23 Feb 1837
            before James Keith and Andrew Boyd

            Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a son William
            born bap 11 Aug 1834
            before James Keith and John Johnstone

            Alexander Shivas, Merchant in Peterhead a dau Isabella
            born bap 6 May 1841
            before Robert Kide and Andrew Boyd

            22 July 1788, William Shivas, Merchant
            had a son baptised named Robert

            James Muirson, Seaman in Peterhead and Margaret Watson
            his wife a dau Catherine Kilgour Shivas
            born 26 July 1852 bap 2 Aug 1852
            before James Mathieson and John Wiseman

            PATRICK TORRY
            14 June 1799 Rev Patrick Torry a dau
            Christian witness James Forbes and John Harlaw Esq

            George Arbuthnot, Shipmaster in Peterhead and Susan Torry
            his wife a son George born 14 Sept 1849 bap 25 Oct 1849
            before the Episcopal Congregation

            26 July 1805 Rev Patrick Torry a son Thomas
            witnesses Rev William Laing and Gilbert Alexander

            10 Oct 1815 Robert Cordiner a son Robert
            witnesses Bishop Torry and James Scott

            27 March 1814 Robert Cordiner, Merchant in Peterhead
            a dau Jane
            witnesses Bishop Torry and james Scott

            26 March 1797 Rev Patrick Torry, Episcopal Minister
            in Peterhead a dau Mary Ann
            witnesses James Forbes snr and jnr

            5 Sept 1800 Rev Patrick Torry a son John
            witnesses James Forbes snr and jnr

            11 April 1817 Robert Cordiner a dau Mary
            witnesses Bishop Patrick Torry and Robert Scott

            THOMAS KILGOUR
            17 Dec 1772 Thomas Kilgour, Student of Physic
            James Forbes, Merchant, present

            3 April 1780 Thomas Kilgour, Manufacturer at
            Nether Kinmundy had a son Robert

            18 Oct 1753 Jean Cub wife of Thomas Arbuthnot jnr,
            Merchant, and Margaret Arbuthnot wife of Robert Kilgour,

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
              Kia Ora, Catherine,

              This is awesome. Thank you very much.

              Vivien in Auckland